Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 23
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 16th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Virgin Money - New as from today

Regular E-Saver Issue 4 £250 pm 2.25%
    Originally posted by Jo Blogs
    Excellent. Thanks for the heads-up, now opened this to join Issues 2, 3 and the Matchday one.

Might only be £50 a year but that's £200 near enough across four accounts for a few minutes work a time. Plus in theory when one matures a new one may come to take its place and I can cycle the money.
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 16th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Excellent. Thanks for the heads-up, now opened this to join Issues 2, 3 and the Matchday one.

Might only be £50 a year but that's £200 near enough across four accounts for a few minutes work a time. Plus in theory when one matures a new one may come to take its place and I can cycle the money.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    You're very welcome
    Last edited by Jo Blogs; 16-03-2017 at 5:30 PM.
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Aug] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 July NSDs 19/15CCCChl 7/12 months
    July PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 16th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    dekkard
    The MSE Regular Savings accounts page has a calculator on it but does anyone know of a site that has a calculator that shows the effect of drip-feeding a lump sum from one account into multiple regular savings accounts?
    • Hal17
    • By Hal17 16th Mar 17, 6:00 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Hal17
    Did anyone else receive some interest in their Virgin monthly savers today? Even though I requested an annual interest period and I have many months until they mature - not sure whats going on.
    • mgarl10024
    • By mgarl10024 16th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    mgarl10024
    Did anyone else receive some interest in their Virgin monthly savers today? Even though I requested an annual interest period and I have many months until they mature - not sure whats going on.
    Originally posted by Hal17
    The Virgin ones, if annual, pay interest on March 11th.
    • Hal17
    • By Hal17 16th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Hal17
    The Virgin ones, if annual, pay interest on March 11th.
    Originally posted by mgarl10024
    Thank you - I always assumed I would not get any interest until the actual mature date on each of the regular savers.
    Last edited by Hal17; 16-03-2017 at 7:20 PM.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 16th Mar 17, 6:48 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    ColdIron
    It's a bit weird. I opened the Matchday E-Saver on 27/02/17 and received interest on 11/03/17. It will still be open on 11/03/18 when I'll get more interest and when it matures on 20/03/18 I'll get a bit more again
    • mgarl10024
    • By mgarl10024 16th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    mgarl10024
    It's a bit weird. I opened the Matchday E-Saver on 27/02/17 and received interest on 11/03/17. It will still be open on 11/03/18 when I'll get more interest and when it matures on 20/03/18 I'll get a bit more again
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    I'm not sure that you get the interest on maturity.

When I asked the question, I was told
    I confirm interest is paid on 11th March. Once your account matures, interest will be paid upon closure/transfer.
    So I am expecting the account to mature into something low paying, which I'll then request closure of to get the final interest.

Am very open to correction/clarification.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 16th Mar 17, 7:06 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    ColdIron
    You are correct, the rate drops on the maturity date which will be precisely the same as my closure/transfer date
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 16th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    dekkard
    The MSE Regular Savings accounts page has a calculator on it but does anyone know of a site that has a calculator that shows the effect of drip-feeding a lump sum from one account into multiple regular savings accounts?
    Originally posted by dekkard
    I'm answering my own question.

This site shows the results of drip-feeding into multiple regular savings accounts. But only those accounts currently available - you can't select your own parameters.

https://www.bankaccountsavings.co.uk/calculator
    • EXSUDBURY
    • By EXSUDBURY 18th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EXSUDBURY
    Missing option
    According to another website the Saffron Walden Building Society is offering 3.5% fixed for 12 months available in branch or by post. Surprised this isn't listed by you.
    • dekkard
    • By dekkard 18th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    dekkard
    According to another website the Saffron Walden Building Society is offering 3.5% fixed for 12 months available in branch or by post. Surprised this isn't listed by you.
    Originally posted by EXSUDBURY
    You can contact the MSE admin people about this by emailing: brokenlink@moneysavingexpert.com
    • margf
    • By margf 18th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    margf
    Is this the Saffron account?

https://www.saffronbs.co.uk/savings/display.product/?categoryID=5&category=fixed-term&productID=g2

You can open this account at any of our branches. If you're an existing Saffron Building Society customer† you can also open this account by postal application.
    • EXSUDBURY
    • By EXSUDBURY 18th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EXSUDBURY
    I have been in email contact with a very helpful advisor but it is not possible to complete online, only via branch or post.
    • chaotic_j
    • By chaotic_j 26th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    chaotic_j
    Hello,

I opened two Virgin Money regular savers (store versions) yesterday, paid into each with the Virgin Money sort code and account number as per the information handed over after accounts were opened..

Quoted in the reference my account number - both payments have been returned the same day.. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 26th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 9,344 Posts
    • 7,387 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    Hello,

I opened two Virgin Money regular savers (store versions) yesterday, paid into each with the Virgin Money sort code and account number as per the information handed over after accounts were opened..

Quoted in the reference my account number - both payments have been returned the same day.. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by chaotic_j
    Wrong sort code / account numbers? Amounts too high?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 26th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 29,316 Posts
    • 17,091 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Hello,

Thanks.
    I don't have the store variants, but for my online regular savers I don't remember completing the reference field?

But my guess is because you opened them on a non-bank working day you'll need to wait until perhaps Tuesday, ie after Monday night's processing has completed. Then again you may be OK Monday? Please feed back when you find out.
    • chaotic_j
    • By chaotic_j 26th Mar 17, 7:00 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    chaotic_j
    I don't have the store variants, but for my online regular savers I don't remember completing the reference field?

But my guess is because you opened them on a non-bank working day you'll need to wait until perhaps Tuesday, ie after Monday night's processing has completed. Then again you may be OK Monday? Please feed back when you find out.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Hi YorkshireBoy,

What you have said regarding the non-bank working day would probably make sense, I will try paying in Monday/Tuesday and let you know how it goes - many thanks.
    • Motormad
    • By Motormad 26th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Motormad
    What sort code and virgin account no.did you use
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 26th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 3,755 Posts
    • 13,772 Thanks
    Westie983
    Hello,

Thanks.
    Store ones have the same sort code and account number and then out put your own account number in the reference field, which is 12 characters including the - and a letter in the middle.

The sort code is 086115 account number 00000515

http://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/find/regular_saver_issue_3/overview?fromets2=false

**Scroll to the midway section to see where it says FAQ's then click on How do I pay into this account.

Online ones have their own sort code and account numbers and can be viewed by logging into Virgin Money https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/service/sign-in/?product=savings&dd=0

Westie983
    Last edited by Westie983; 26-03-2017 at 8:59 PM.
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total £18,855/£12,000 157.12%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£158/£500 = 82.00% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £300/£365 = 82.19%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1,200/£1,000 = 120.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (£1,450)+£50/£2,000 = 75.00%

Total £22,265/£15,865 = 140.34%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

2,244Users online

Martin's Twitter