Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > Royal mail online postage... question about recor... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Royal mail online postage... question about recorded delivery.
Closed Thread
Views: 9,258
# 1
greyskittles
Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Royal mail online postage... question about recorded delivery.

I've just started using the Royal Mail service where you print and pay for your postage online.

Today's the first time I've bought recorded delivery labels... thinking I'd save time not having to queue up for half an hour! Well I've printed it off but there's no tracking number. Does this mean I still have to go to the Post Office and get a recorded delivery slip filled out? Can anyone tell me what to do? I'm a bit worried as most of the staff in my local PO don't know what they're doing half the time...

# 2
pinkgem
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

yes you still need to fill in a recorded delivery form from the post office as you need to get it stamped as proof that it was posted and you need to put the recorded delivery sticker on the parcel
# 3
soolin
Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

For anything printed on line you still need to go to the Post office to get proof of postage /certificates of posting stamped otherwise you have no way of claiming loss from the RM.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 4
steviebabes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you are not bothered about proof of posting you can just stick the red recorded slip on and pay the correct price and put it in a post box. As recorded mail in only tracked when it is delivered you do not need to hand it in at a post office if it will fit in a post box.
The Following User Says Thank You to steviebabes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
chivvy
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What I do is use standard 1st or 2nd class postage print and pay and there is always an alpha numeric code on the printout which RM use to see if the parcel has been posted otherwise you can claim the postage back (if you forget to post the parcel for example). Therefore, you can prove it was posted as RM can check that your parcel was put through their system.
# 6
soolin
Old 09-06-2008, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivvy View Post
What I do is use standard 1st or 2nd class postage print and pay and there is always an alpha numeric code on the printout which RM use to see if the parcel has been posted otherwise you can claim the postage back (if you forget to post the parcel for example). Therefore, you can prove it was posted as RM can check that your parcel was put through their system.
The new claim forms require a paper proof of posting, RM will not pay out on self printed items unless the accompanying COP has been stamped at PO.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 7
chivvy
Old 09-06-2008, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

But they have to admit it has been posted if it has been scanned in at one of their sorting offices, plus I keep all the confirmation emails sent me when I post using online payment so I have the Indicia number (scan code)for each item sent. Have only had to claim from RM once and that was for a parcel to Europe which they don't have to pay out for but did anyway as a gesture of goodwill.
# 8
ants97
Old 09-06-2008, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i just drop my parcels in to the post office and they give you a proof of postage thing with a stamp etc.

never had fill out another recorded delivery thing just use the labels then they give you a proof of postage.
# 9
soolin
Old 09-06-2008, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivvy View Post
But they have to admit it has been posted if it has been scanned in at one of their sorting offices, plus I keep all the confirmation emails sent me when I post using online payment so I have the Indicia number (scan code)for each item sent. Have only had to claim from RM once and that was for a parcel to Europe which they don't have to pay out for but did anyway as a gesture of goodwill.
They really are very strict..no paper proof of posting stamped by a PO and no refund. At best you might get a book of stamps as a goodwill gesture.
New to Forum? Guide
# 10
scorpio13
Old 09-06-2008, 5:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviebabes View Post
If you are not bothered about proof of posting you can just stick the red recorded slip on and pay the correct price and put it in a post box. As recorded mail in only tracked when it is delivered you do not need to hand it in at a post office if it will fit in a post box.
Oh, i didn't know that.
# 11
mah_jong
Old 09-06-2008, 6:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
And if it goes missing ....do you have leg to stand on? I dont think so! As its not been stamped!

# 12
soolin
Old 09-06-2008, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah_jong View Post
And if it goes missing ....do you have leg to stand on? I dont think so! As its not been stamped!
Exactly, anyone can stick a recorded delivery thing on a packet, unless the PO stamp their receipt bit it is meaningless.
New to Forum? Guide
# 13
steviebabes
Old 09-06-2008, 7:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolin View Post
Exactly, anyone can stick a recorded delivery thing on a packet, unless the PO stamp their receipt bit it is meaningless.
You can still prove delivery though. I said there is no proof of posting but you can prove delivery as you have the counterfoil with the bar code on to check on RM track & trace.
# 14
soolin
Old 09-06-2008, 8:27 PM

Quote:
You can still prove delivery though. I said there is no proof of posting but you can prove delivery as you have the counterfoil with the bar code on to check on RM track & trace.
Since recorded is a very poor service it cannot be relied on to be signed for anyway. I have another thread running, I sent 4 items end of May recorded delivery all of which have arrived none of which show up as delivered. My post master today suggested that the failure rate is as high as 50% in some areas.

Proof of posting is much more necessary than hoping an item tracks and is signed for, and with no way of proving posting if lost en route.
New to Forum? Guide
# 15
steviebabes
Old 09-06-2008, 8:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I know recorded is unreliable in some areas but all I am saying is if you do not want proof of posting you can put recorded items in the postbox and they will/should get signed for.
I never bother with proof of posting as the paperwork takes so long I may as well just write off the loss. I have lost very few packages (less than .05%) and over 90% of recorded items do get signed for. I always use SD for high value items and have never lost one.
# 16
soolin
Old 09-06-2008, 8:54 PM

I have very few losses as well, but I suppose I always think that the first time I don't bother with a COP I'll get a chargeback, I'm probably paranoid. One of my selling ids used to sell a stock item where I had an unlimited supply, I used to just bung those in the post without a COP as they were cheap and I could always replace any losses.

Whilst I don't trust recorded, I always used to trust special delivery, until a laptop I sent last year arrived safe and sound yet was never signed for.
New to Forum? Guide
Closed Thread