Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greyskittles
    • By greyskittles 8th Jun 08, 10:38 PM
    • 872Posts
    • 2,138Thanks
    greyskittles
    Royal mail online postage... question about recorded delivery.
    • 8th Jun 08, 10:38 PM
    Royal mail online postage... question about recorded delivery. 8th Jun 08 at 10:38 PM
    I've just started using the Royal Mail service where you print and pay for your postage online.

Today's the first time I've bought recorded delivery labels... thinking I'd save time not having to queue up for half an hour! Well I've printed it off but there's no tracking number. Does this mean I still have to go to the Post Office and get a recorded delivery slip filled out? Can anyone tell me what to do? I'm a bit worried as most of the staff in my local PO don't know what they're doing half the time...

Page 1
  • pinkgem
    • 8th Jun 08, 10:44 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 10:44 PM
    yes you still need to fill in a recorded delivery form from the post office as you need to get it stamped as proof that it was posted and you need to put the recorded delivery sticker on the parcel
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Jun 08, 10:52 PM
    • 56,925 Posts
    • 40,115 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Jun 08, 10:52 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 10:52 PM
    For anything printed on line you still need to go to the Post office to get proof of postage /certificates of posting stamped otherwise you have no way of claiming loss from the RM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • steviebabes
    • By steviebabes 8th Jun 08, 11:06 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    steviebabes
    • 8th Jun 08, 11:06 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 11:06 PM
    If you are not bothered about proof of posting you can just stick the red recorded slip on and pay the correct price and put it in a post box. As recorded mail in only tracked when it is delivered you do not need to hand it in at a post office if it will fit in a post box.
  • chivvy
    • 8th Jun 08, 11:25 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 11:25 PM
    What I do is use standard 1st or 2nd class postage print and pay and there is always an alpha numeric code on the printout which RM use to see if the parcel has been posted otherwise you can claim the postage back (if you forget to post the parcel for example). Therefore, you can prove it was posted as RM can check that your parcel was put through their system.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jun 08, 7:51 AM
    • 56,925 Posts
    • 40,115 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Jun 08, 7:51 AM
    • 9th Jun 08, 7:51 AM
    What I do is use standard 1st or 2nd class postage print and pay and there is always an alpha numeric code on the printout which RM use to see if the parcel has been posted otherwise you can claim the postage back (if you forget to post the parcel for example). Therefore, you can prove it was posted as RM can check that your parcel was put through their system.
    Originally posted by chivvy
    The new claim forms require a paper proof of posting, RM will not pay out on self printed items unless the accompanying COP has been stamped at PO.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • chivvy
    • 9th Jun 08, 3:25 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 3:25 PM
    But they have to admit it has been posted if it has been scanned in at one of their sorting offices, plus I keep all the confirmation emails sent me when I post using online payment so I have the Indicia number (scan code)for each item sent. Have only had to claim from RM once and that was for a parcel to Europe which they don't have to pay out for but did anyway as a gesture of goodwill.
    • ants97
    • By ants97 9th Jun 08, 3:36 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ants97
    • 9th Jun 08, 3:36 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 3:36 PM
    i just drop my parcels in to the post office and they give you a proof of postage thing with a stamp etc.

never had fill out another recorded delivery thing just use the labels then they give you a proof of postage.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jun 08, 5:16 PM
    • 56,925 Posts
    • 40,115 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Jun 08, 5:16 PM
    • 9th Jun 08, 5:16 PM
    But they have to admit it has been posted if it has been scanned in at one of their sorting offices, plus I keep all the confirmation emails sent me when I post using online payment so I have the Indicia number (scan code)for each item sent. Have only had to claim from RM once and that was for a parcel to Europe which they don't have to pay out for but did anyway as a gesture of goodwill.
    Originally posted by chivvy
    They really are very strict..no paper proof of posting stamped by a PO and no refund. At best you might get a book of stamps as a goodwill gesture.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • scorpio13
    If you are not bothered about proof of posting you can just stick the red recorded slip on and pay the correct price and put it in a post box. As recorded mail in only tracked when it is delivered you do not need to hand it in at a post office if it will fit in a post box.
    Originally posted by steviebabes
    Oh, i didn't know that.
    • mah_jong
    • By mah_jong 9th Jun 08, 6:12 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    mah_jong
    And if it goes missing ....do you have leg to stand on? I dont think so! As its not been stamped!

• soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jun 08, 6:30 PM
    • 56,925 Posts
    • 40,115 Thanks
    soolin
    And if it goes missing ....do you have leg to stand on? I dont think so! As its not been stamped!
    Originally posted by mah_jong
    Exactly, anyone can stick a recorded delivery thing on a packet, unless the PO stamp their receipt bit it is meaningless.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • steviebabes
    • By steviebabes 9th Jun 08, 7:57 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    steviebabes
    Exactly, anyone can stick a recorded delivery thing on a packet, unless the PO stamp their receipt bit it is meaningless.
    Originally posted by soolin
    You can still prove delivery though. I said there is no proof of posting but you can prove delivery as you have the counterfoil with the bar code on to check on RM track & trace.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jun 08, 8:27 PM
    • 56,925 Posts
    • 40,115 Thanks
    soolin
    You can still prove delivery though. I said there is no proof of posting but you can prove delivery as you have the counterfoil with the bar code on to check on RM track & trace.
    Since recorded is a very poor service it cannot be relied on to be signed for anyway. I have another thread running, I sent 4 items end of May recorded delivery all of which have arrived none of which show up as delivered. My post master today suggested that the failure rate is as high as 50% in some areas.

Proof of posting is much more necessary than hoping an item tracks and is signed for, and with no way of proving posting if lost en route.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • steviebabes
    • By steviebabes 9th Jun 08, 8:34 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    steviebabes
    I know recorded is unreliable in some areas but all I am saying is if you do not want proof of posting you can put recorded items in the postbox and they will/should get signed for.
    I never bother with proof of posting as the paperwork takes so long I may as well just write off the loss. I have lost very few packages (less than .05%) and over 90% of recorded items do get signed for. I always use SD for high value items and have never lost one.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jun 08, 8:54 PM
    • 56,925 Posts
    • 40,115 Thanks
    soolin
    I have very few losses as well, but I suppose I always think that the first time I don't bother with a COP I'll get a chargeback, I'm probably paranoid. One of my selling ids used to sell a stock item where I had an unlimited supply, I used to just bung those in the post without a COP as they were cheap and I could always replace any losses.

Whilst I don't trust recorded, I always used to trust special delivery, until a laptop I sent last year arrived safe and sound yet was never signed for.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,512Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter