Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Pets & Pet Care > how to stop dog licking sore- Update, finally hea... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how to stop dog licking sore- Update, finally healed
Closed Thread
Views: 20,681
# 1
cocoluvsmummy
Old 07-06-2008, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default how to stop dog licking sore- Update, finally healed

any tips please.
Jess my 5 1/2 year old dog has just had her third op on her knee in 5 months, now she seems to ignore the major wound (i keep it covered and am changing the dressing daily), but will not stop licking the place on her front leg where the IV line was in. Last time she licked it so much she removed a layer of skin, and i think it is going the same way this time,

i have tried putting a sock over it and covering it with a bandage but she pulls them off. I am starting the think i may have to put a plastic head collar on her, but don't want to because shes unhappy enough as it is.

Any suggestions folks of anything that i could do to discourage her

Last edited by cocoluvsmummy; 29-07-2008 at 3:27 PM.
# 2
Kimberley
Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

A lampshade (thats what i call them) or muzzle may be the only solution i'm afraid.
Australia 2016
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Penny Watcher
Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

As Kimberly says, Buster/Elizabethan collars (lampshades :rolleyes: ) are the only way. One of my dogs is recovering from a very nasty wound to the skin covering his ribcage. He wears a buster collar, an old t-shirt on his body and a sock on the back foot nearest the wound to keep him from getting at the stitches (he's taken stitches out before now ). He's looks a right bobby dazzler in all his kit, but he's getting used to it.

Better Jess being a little bit depressed and/or uncomfortable now rather than having to deal with the consequences of an infection if she nibbles her skin off.

PS I wonder what it is about IV sites? The first thing my lad does when I take his collar off to have his food is to have a right good lick at his leg. Then hunger takes over and he eats his food instead .

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please GIVE BLOOD - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 52 pints so far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Penny Watcher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Raksha
Old 07-06-2008, 3:58 PM

How about putting a bandage on the uninjured leg? Diverting the attention to something else. Licking is a way of reducing internal stresses, so a Dog Apeasing Pheramone (DAP) plug in defuser (also available as a spray for bedding or on a bandana around the neck) may also help calm her down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raksha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
orlao
Old 08-06-2008, 4:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Oh, poor Jess, I remember the thread about her last op......

I've used a product called Nettex Sweet Itch Salve(You'll find it in tackshops, quite expensive at 20+ a tub but it does last forever!) on wounds before, it's a pink thick ointment originally designed for horses. It seems to soothe and help the hair grow back plus dogs don't like the taste of it. BTW, it doesn't stain furniture or clothes either. I used it on my dog after his ligament ops and even though he had two ops on one leg I can't feel the scar.

Personally, if I can ease the irritation so they don't want to lick the wounds rather than leave them itchy and prevent them getting at the itch (IYSWIM!) I think it's easier for all concerned......but I know that's not always possible
The Following User Says Thank You to orlao For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
cocoluvsmummy
Old 08-06-2008, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you all, have just given in and put the buster collar on her. I just feel so mean doing it, as shes hopping around on 3 legs, with a bandage on her 4th and is very unsteady already, tends to fall over frequently if we arnt with her.

Orlao i think i will look into the salve you suggested, i actually tried sudocrem but she seems to like that so it didn't help.
The Following User Says Thank You to cocoluvsmummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Penny Watcher
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM

How's Jess doing in her hat cocoluvsmummy? She looks very regal in your avvy.

My nutty boy has had his collar off for an hour or so this morning. He's progressed from wearing a t-shirt to wearing half an old Wonderbra . It looks very strange, but it does the job of protecting his wound from licking and scratching.

Somehow I don't think I be taking him for a walk looking like that though

Oi you lot - please GIVE BLOOD - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 52 pints so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Penny Watcher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
cocoluvsmummy
Old 10-06-2008, 2:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Jess is still wearing the collar, hating it, waking me up every 20 mins in the night so i'm tired and grumpy. Shes been back to the vets again and is on antibiotics now for her back leg as its weaping, but he thinks that will help her front as well so hopefully it will get healing soon.
so strange how she has leaking wound with lots of sutures on back leg, but its the front one where the IV went that she licks the skin off.
The Following User Says Thank You to cocoluvsmummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
LittleTinker
Old 11-06-2008, 8:31 AM

I would say let her lick when you are with her so you can stop her nibbling the stitches. The lampshades are mainly used to stop dogs from picking their stitches out, not to stop them licking.

A dog licking at wounds helps them to heal quicker and better.
The Following User Says Thank You to LittleTinker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Penny Watcher
Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTinker View Post

A dog licking at wounds helps them to heal quicker and better.
I used to believe that Old Wives Tale too until my ginger labX made her injury much worse because I let her lick at a wound (Jack Russell nip) on her flank. It was a tiny puncture wound to start with, which within a couple of days of secret licking had become a real mess. Head collar and being checked by the vet cleared it up nicely.

According to all three vets at my practice animals licking is a sure fire way to introduce infection into an open wound. A dog's mouth, like a human mouth, isn't sterile.

Sorry if I come across a little strongly on this point, I don't mean to . It's just that what you said is different to my experience and to the opinion of my vets. I've seen first hand the consequences of a dog left to lick at a wound and I wouldn't wish that on anyone's pet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Penny Watcher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
LittleTinker
Old 11-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Watcher View Post
I used to believe that Old Wives Tale too until my ginger labX made her injury much worse because I let her lick at a wound (Jack Russell nip) on her flank. It was a tiny puncture wound to start with, which within a couple of days of secret licking had become a real mess. Head collar and being checked by the vet cleared it up nicely.

According to all three vets at my practice animals licking is a sure fire way to introduce infection into an open wound. A dog's mouth, like a human mouth, isn't sterile.

Sorry if I come across a little strongly on this point, I don't mean to . It's just that what you said is different to my experience and to the opinion of my vets. I've seen first hand the consequences of a dog left to lick at a wound and I wouldn't wish that on anyone's pet.
Yes, you are quite right that dogs mouths arent sterile. However, a dog's saliva is antiseptic and is known to kill many harmful bacteria.

A Mother dog, for instance, will continually lick her nipples to destroy bacteria before puppies feed from her.

It is not an old Wives tale and in no way whatsoever will a dog licking its own wounds introduce bacteria.
# 12
boldaslove
Old 12-06-2008, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

in my experience the 'lampshade' is the only way. i feel awful using them but if it helps the wound heal quicker then it's better for everyone involved. you can make it a little more pleasant by giving your dog treats and a big fuss whenever you put on the collar.

i was at the vet yesterday and had a quick chat with him about licking (my dog has a sore on her foot and a skin tag on her pad, she's fussing over them quite a bit at the moment). his opinion was it can be beneficial, it can actually stop minor bleeding apparantly, but if it's constant it can actually slow the healing process and may lead to infection.... we all know how dogs get their mouths everywhere don't we
if all else fails..... break out the puppy dog eyes!
The Following User Says Thank You to boldaslove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
zebidee1
Old 12-06-2008, 9:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTinker View Post
It is not an old Wives tale and in no way whatsoever will a dog licking its own wounds introduce bacteria.
Just passing on what I was told today so dont shoot the messenger , but our pooch has a sore on the side of his bits. It started off as a small pinky/reddish patch but within days it grew, got inflamed and is now infected and needed antibiotics.

Vet sad his licking wasn't good and caused a small skin problem to escalate. We were told to always try to distract him to stop him licking if this were to happen again.
The Following User Says Thank You to zebidee1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
beaujolais-nouveau
Old 18-06-2008, 8:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoluvsmummy View Post
Any suggestions folks of anything that i could do to discourage her
I found that the only thing that stops my dog biting or overlicking is lavender essential oil applied straight (not mixed with any oil) onto the area of skin or fur that you want him to leave alone. (I guess that it is because he doesn't like the sensation of the lavender oil evaporating but using tea tree oil isn't nearly as effective.) Lavender and tea tree are the only two essential oils that are safe to use undiluted on the skin. It also makes my dog smell nice!

I do have an "Elizabethan collar" but my dog absolutely hates it and charges up and down the flat, knocking against things in his attempt to tear the collar off.
The Following User Says Thank You to beaujolais-nouveau For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
cocoluvsmummy
Old 14-07-2008, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default I'm so fed up

Title says it all, i'm so fed up now.
just left Jess at the vets again for an overnight stay, removal of her tightrope sutre as it looks like its infected , biopsies to find out how far and deep her infection is and then home on wednesday.

This is her 4th op in 7 months, first a TTA repair for her cruciate ligament, then repeat exploratory op to see why she was still limping, then referal to consultant at liverpool small animal hosp, another op to put in tight rope sutre to fix the instability in her cruiate that the first 2 ops hadnt helped. She has then had a wound infection leaking thick green pus for 7 weeks which hasnt got better dispite large doeses of antibiotics and me changing her horrid dressing 3 times a day.

Today back to liverpool and he wants to keep her there and explore and remove tomorrow and try to find out the sourse of this deep seated infection.

someone just give me a hug please and offer some words to cheer me up.. only got 600 left on her insuranse policy as well so will shortly be paying as well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cocoluvsmummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
pinkemsy
Old 14-07-2008, 1:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So sorry you have this problem. I know exactly how you feel as I'm in a similar position with my own dog. My fingers are crossed for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkemsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Penny Watcher
Old 14-07-2008, 1:42 PM

Look out - here it comes

((((((((HUGS))))))))

We're only 8 weeks into Big Black Dog's accidental new trapdoor incident and it seems to have been going on for years! He's looks daft without his buster collar on now. We went through a patch when every Friday he stayed at the vets for some procedure or other that needed an anaesthetic.

Having said that we can almost see daylight now . He can now go on decent walks since we've found him a neoprene vest to protect his ribcage. I'm am sooooo there with you on the stinky dressing thing. Oh Lord the smell .

You will get there eventually honey. It's just a real grind whilst it's going on.

So keep your chin up chuck - she'll get there in the end.

# 18
orlao
Old 14-07-2008, 4:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

So sorry to hear that Jess is still in the wars....

My rottie had 3 ops in 3 months (cruciate repair) and an infection in the bone after.....but 13 months on you wouldn't even know that he'd ever had a problem!!!! I can see that he doesn't have the length of stride that he used to but to 99% of people he looks totally normal especially as the hair on his back legs has finally grown back properly

There is light at the end of the tunnel but I do remember what a horrible time the whole episode was so ((((((HUGS))))))

Let us know how she gets on.
The Following User Says Thank You to orlao For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
cocoluvsmummy
Old 14-07-2008, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you everyone, its makes me feel better knowing that we will get through this eventually, just feels like we are putting her through so much when all she had was a slight limp to start with.

And i needed those hugs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cocoluvsmummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Penny Watcher
Old 14-07-2008, 5:54 PM

Here's a little something for you cocoluvsmummy.

First piccy is taken 3 1/2 years ago, 3 days after Daft Dog argued with a car, lost, and smashed to bits the bones between her 'knee' and 'ankle'. Underneath the big red bandage is a metal frame with bolts going sideways through her bones. Not nice at all. If she hadn't gone to the experts she would have been Daft Dog the Tripod Dog :rolleyes:.

Dozy smile on her face comes from the industrial quantities of painkiller she had to take.

A couple of months later we had moved on a bit. ('Scuse my mucky floor )

This one was taken the following Summer. No scars, no limp, no nothing

Jess is still at photo # 1. stage bless her little cotton socks . She will get better, or she'll have her Aunty Penny to answer to!!!

Closed Thread