Main site > Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > Paye - Claiming Back Expenses (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Paye - Claiming Back Expenses
Closed Thread
Views: 5,261
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 02-06-2008, 5:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4
Default Paye - Claiming Back Expenses

Hi -

I am in FT employment within the Healthcare Recruitment industry (office based) and currently paid by PAYE. I am wondering what general expenses can be claimed back if any when being paid through PAYE. I've come across a few sites that suggest there may be an allowance for travel and meals whilst away on business, dry cleaning expenses, dental/medical/prescription charges, or I.T equipment I have purchased myself to use at work (Anti-RSI Keyboard and Mouse etc...)

Any help would be much appreciated - asking for a concise list might be pushing it!!

Esko is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 02-06-2008, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 180

Hi. It's difficult to define what you can/cannot claim as an expense, but the general rule is that it should be wholly, exclusively and necessarily for your duties. Things like commuting, clothes for work etc aren't allowed, but if, for example, your work clothes had a logo on it you could claim for the cost and upkeep. You would really need to justify any purchases/expenses and why they were necessary for your work.

Your best bet would be to contact your tax office by telephone and run it through with them. They can tell you what you can make a claim for and then you would most likely need to put that in writing.
kitty1801 is offline
Report Post
# 3
Andy L
Old 03-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,725

Originally Posted by Esko View Post
an allowance for travel and meals whilst away on business, ...... or I.T equipment I have purchased myself to use at work (Anti-RSI Keyboard and Mouse etc...)
As a PAYE employee that sort of stuff should be paid for/supplied by your employer
Andy L is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 03-06-2008, 12:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 180

Unfortunately, not all work related costs are reimbursed by employers, but I do agree that the IT equipment - required due to health & safety - should be a cost borne by the employer rather than the employee. Don't know whether there is actually any legislation about this.
kitty1801 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:10 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 22 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums


MSE's Twitter Feed

Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.