Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MrDT
    Adventures in Homebrewland (image heavy - you have been warned!)
    • 1st Jun 08, 4:56 PM
    Adventures in Homebrewland (image heavy - you have been warned!) 1st Jun 08 at 4:56 PM
    Hello boys and girls! I started my first homebrew experiment off yesterday (cheapskate's cider), and took lots of pictures Here's my method if anyone else fancies having a go

[1] First of all, get your kit sorted:

Sterilised demi-john (or any big bottle tbh, large 5l plastic squash bottles could be ok)
    Some balloons (or if you're 'proper' you could get a bung and airlock, they'll only set you back about a quid in total)
    4 litres of apple juice (tesco value stuff is high in natural sugar and cheap so ideal)
    Some sugar (you can skip this, but I added a little to help push up the alcohol by volume - it also helps the yeast activate quicker)
    Some dried active yeast for brewing (bought this at a small local health shop, £1.15 for 100g, you just need a teaspoonful, but the 5g sachets were 75p so do the math)

I sterilised my demi-john with boiling water. You can use sterilizing tablets if you want, but boiling water will do the trick just fine. Boiling water mightn't be ideal if using thin plastic bottles but no probs when using a thick glass demi-john.

[2] Pour out a little juice (I used 175ml)

[3] Add a little sugar if you like (I used 50g - helps the yeast activate and should result in higher alcohol by volume)

[4] Whack the mixture in a saucepan

[5] Add a teaspoon of yeast

[6] Should look a little like this cold, stick it on a very low heat hob to warm up a bit

[7] While the yeast mix is warming up, pour what's left of the open carton of juice and two of the three unopened cartons into the demi-john

[8] Looks a bit empty huh? Don't worry about that

[9] When the yeast mix is warm and looks a bit like this take it off the heat

[10] Add it to your juice

[11] Doesn't look much like Magners does it?

[12] Pop the balloon on top to stop flies and bacteria and stuff getting in

[13] Sit the demi-john in the corner and fuggedaboutit for a while. Do a Blue Peter and enjoy a little something someone prepared earlier

[14] I forgot to check the time, but err, when you get to this point the balloon should have inflated a bit

[15] When you realise you have no wine left in the house you then have to move to harder stuff. By the time you're half way through a bottle of rum your concoction should look a bit like this...

[16] Xtreeeeem closeup! Aren't you glad you didn't bung that other litre of juice in?

A good few hours later

Well, when you eventually get up late Sunday morning (with a bit of a sore head) you will wander into the kitchen notice two things
    #1 the balloon is missing.
    #2 there are brown splotches all over the walls and ceiling.

You eventually come to realise that the two are related.

After five minutes of searching, you find the balloon sitting in a coffee mug the other side of the kitchen Put it in the bin, and put a new balloon on top of the demi-john :rolleyes: Get cleaning...

What I've learnt from this is that the balloon isn't perfect, but can be modified to become perfect Put a tiny little pin hole in the balloon, this will allow air to escape but won't allow nasties in (as there's a constant flow of carbon dioxide pushing out). If you do this you can avoid scrubbing the kitchen walls again tomorrow

What next?

Leave it for a few days. I'm thinking a week should do it. Then you'll be adding the other carton of juice to top up, leaving for another couple weeks, syphoning into bottles, topping up wit a little more sugar if needed, refridgerating, then drinking

With a bit of luck it'll taste ok, but like I said this is my first go, so we'll wait and see

Anyone else gonna have a go? Or are you gonna wait to see if I survive first?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 26-05-2009 at 6:39 PM. Reason: thought it best to specify near the top that it's a cider recipe!
Page 29
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 27th Jun 15, 2:39 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 32,997 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Depends on the kit, I think the 7 day kits use the oak chips to give the wine flavour, as it's is not got time to develop naturally.

The 30 day Chardonnay kit I've got didn't have the oak chips.

What was the make it the kit?
    Originally posted by S0litaire
    It's a Winebuddy 7 day kit, bought it at tesco for £8 in sale, so not a huge loss if it doesn't,t work

Thanks for getting back to me
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 27th Jun 15, 2:55 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    S0litaire
    the Young's winebuddy are supposed to be one of the better "7 day" kits. But mine was a disaster

Looked like they gave me a rose instead of Chardonnay syrup and it would not ferment even after 10 days! end up chucking it.

I got a Wilko's own kit (£20) including a glass Demijohn. It's been going great this past two weeks nearly ready to bottle.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 27th Jun 15, 3:02 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 32,997 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I,ll give it a go and keep my fingers crossed, if it's not good, I have a tribe of teenage (over 18) children, who will drink it with lemonade
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 29th Jun 15, 1:15 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 278,423 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    A question, if I may ....

I have pounds and pounds and pounds of gooseberries. First lot already in the fermenting bin for sparking wine.

I have a plan to do some non sparkling wine, and my question is this -

Is it "ok" to use some red grape concentrate with one batch to make a rose wine? My gooseberries are green but I'd like to make a variety of wines.

If not, what can I use?

Please and thank you very much!
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 29th Jun 15, 7:04 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 6,619 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Got myself a black cherry kit from Wilkos for £6, it will be going in the demijohns later.
    Queen of Cheap do you grow the gooseberries? I can rarely find any in shops and want to make an elderflower and gooseberry white wine
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 29th Jun 15, 8:18 PM
    • 16,475 Posts
    • 278,423 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Got myself a black cherry kit from Wilkos for £6, it will be going in the demijohns later.
    Queen of Cheap do you grow the gooseberries? I can rarely find any in shops and want to make an elderflower and gooseberry white wine
    Originally posted by drinkupretty
    I do - I inherited a few rather large bushes on the allotment. I can't eat them all so I'll drink them instead
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 30th Jun 15, 6:05 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 6,619 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Black cherry wine stage one completed

Last edited by drinkupretty; 30-06-2015 at 6:08 PM.
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 3rd Jul 15, 12:51 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 6,619 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Topping up the fermenting wine with more water today and making a start on elderflower champagne too.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 3rd Jul 15, 5:20 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    S0litaire
    My Chardonnay is ready to be bottled over the weekend.

Unsure whether to use old wine bottles or a 8ltr jar I have that's got a tap in it...

That way I can give it extra time to settle and mature also easier to pour..
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 4th Jul 15, 4:40 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 6,619 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    2 demijohns of elderflower champagne brewing, black cherry wine still fermenting. Have had an idea re gooseberry and elderflower wine, I will get a gooseberry wine kit and add elderflowers to it. It will either work or it won't anyway.
    I have also got 3 jars of posh honey I got as a gift, I am not a big fan of honey on it's own so I may well make it into mead.
    Last edited by drinkupretty; 04-07-2015 at 4:42 PM.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 4th Jul 15, 4:47 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    S0litaire
    2 demijohns of elderflower champagne brewing, black cherry wine still fermenting. Have had an idea re gooseberry and elderflower wine, I will get a gooseberry wine kit and add elderflowers to it. It will either work or it won't anyway.
    I have also got 3 jars of posh honey I got as a gift, I am not a big fan of honey on it's own so I may well make it into mead.
    Originally posted by drinkupretty
    Never tried mead.
    Never a big fan of honey... Golden syrup on the other hand....
    Laters

Sol

• drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 14th Jul 15, 8:50 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 6,619 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    So made the must for a batch of orange mead, waiting for it to cool sufficiently before I add the yeast. It will take 2 months to clear before bottling apparently.
    Elderflower champagne has been passed through muslin and is back in the demijohns to settle for few days before bottling in pressurised bottles.
    Cherry wine kit has had the stabiliser and finings added, a few more days and it will be ready to bottle. Thinking of giving my Dad a bottle of wine and a bottle of the champagne for his birthday.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 14th Jul 15, 11:56 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    S0litaire
    Got my 6 bottles filled on Monday.

By Wednesday I only had 5.

It's a bit dry but drinkable. Going to try and leave a few bottles for Xmas.

Well start on another batch at the weekend.
    Laters

Sol

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 3,255 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    FOUND IT!!!!

I knew there would be a homebrewers thread on here somewhere...
    Right, what say we breathe a bit o life back into this then eh?

Okay, I am fairly new to the craft o brew. However, I am keen

I have a very simple n basic brewery set up and so far it works really well.

I currently have a batch fermenting at the mo for a 40 pinter of Suffolk style Bitter, which I have been assured is a good un...

So, any other brewers want to come back on board or new brewers want to join in here???
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 2nd Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    Blimey - I'd completely forgotten that I'd subscribed to this thread about a million or so years ago :-)

I've been homebrewing for about 10 years now and have progressed from Turbo-Cider (cartons of apple juice plus yeast) to having my own cider press & making about 5-10 gallons of 'real' cider each year.

I also make various fruit wines with spare fruit from our allotment and have recently re-visited beer kits - I've currently got a wheat beer & a "Woodforde's Wherry" on the go which should both see me over Christmas.

I've always said that my aim is to be self sufficient for alcohol. However, until the law regarding home distilation changes in this country, it looks like I'll still have to buy in my whisky & gin :-(
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 2nd Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 3,255 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi and thanks for coming back

I'm on day two of my batch of "Father Hooks Best Bitter", the fermentation bucket is bubbling away nicely via the airlock
    I'll be adding the Hops on Day 5 for the next stage...

Like yourself, I brew my own to be self sufficient on Beer and save money. I enjoy it too...
    I also hope to get another couple of batches done before crimbo.

Hopefully, other brewers will come back on board here and maybe even some more newbies
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 2nd Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 8,750 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Good lord I can't believe this thread is here. I came on earlier to make a post about this then didn't get around to it!

We pressed some apples to make cider 3 weeks ago but because it was spur of the moment (DH wouldn't wait) we had to use baking yeast. The demi john is still bubbling and is very cloudy. Is it going to clear, and is it going to be drinkable? Or even cookable?
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 3,255 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I have found a brilliant home brew supplier locally

They quite literally have EVERYTHING that you would ever need for brewing.

The lovely lady who served me actually saved me money by advising me on what I actually needed rather than what I thought I needed and gave good advice on particular brew mixes to try.
    Will definitely be back again soon...
    A very happy customer

This weekend I shall be moving my current brew into its secondary fermentation stage and syphon off from the fermentation bucket into two FV Barrels.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin