Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Local MoneySaving > N. Ireland > What is Pay rate for Tesco's per hour? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What is Pay rate for Tesco's per hour?
Views: 88,393
# 1
Brighteyes
Old 31-05-2008, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default What is Pay rate for Tesco's per hour?

Just enquiring if anyone who works for tesco's can enlighten me how much pay is per hour for days/nights etc.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Holiday
Old 31-05-2008, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can't tell you exactly but Tesco is reckoned to be better than the average. 15% staff discount also. I know it is better than M&S but they have a higher staff discount. (20%)
Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
# 3
before hollywood
Old 31-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

somewhere around 6 per hour??
things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercilessKiller View Post
BH is my best mate too, its ok

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester..
all your base are belong to us
# 4
mkbswimstar
Old 31-05-2008, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

6 something per hour, rising after a yr. Great benefits, but disc off of shopping is 10% after a year not 15%. Immediate disc off of car/home/pet insurance. Disc off participating gym's/leisure centres. Share save schemes, contributory pension scheme which is good. Good trainee management scheme. Flexible on hours worked. Annual bonus I think. In the childcare vouchers scheme too.
# 5
cheqmate06
Old 31-05-2008, 11:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

6.22 if i remember rightly and 10% staff discount after 1 year.shares related to pay which you have to hold for 5 years and usual other staff perks. Nights are time and a half as are sundays.
# 6
MrsE
Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You gotta work for a year before you get the staff discount?

Thats a bit mean of them!
# 7
x-Princess-Vikki-x
Old 27-06-2008, 9:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Anyone know what it is for under 18s? thanks
Favourite Comp Wins:
1000 Laura Ashley Vouchers Lake District Trip London Weekend iPad Cath Kidston Tea Set HTC One Phone Roberts Vintage Radio Cupcake Masterclass x2 100 @ Lipsy, Tesco & TK Maxx Digital Camera x3 Kindles x3 200 @ Dunelm
# 8
tara747
Old 28-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

6 per hour and 1.5x on Sundays???? When I worked there as a student (about 7 years ago) it was about 5.90 and 2x on Sundays!!!! Their pay rates have gone down.
The Following User Says Thank You to tara747 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
crompton
Old 28-06-2008, 12:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I work on the Produce dept. and am under 18. I am currently on £4.96 however have just completed 1 years service so that will go up to around £5.20. All members of staff have just received the annual payrise (3.8% this year) and the discount has now been lowered to 6months service and is at 10% off when you spend £1 (Not including cigarettes, petrol, lottery etc.) HTH - Oh by the way, sundays are now Time-and-a-half (1.5x) it used to be double time(2x) but that has now stopped and continues only for staff who were employed more than 10years ago
Like what I said? click thanks!

100th Post : 31st July 2006
200th Post : 10th September 2006
300th Post : 6th January 2007
300th Post : 12th April 2007

Last edited by crompton; 28-06-2008 at 12:43 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crompton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
smooser
Old 28-06-2008, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Working for Tesco atm and I get £5.95 (increasing soon due to internal pay rise) then an extra £1.23ish on top of that for working between 10pm and 12am and a further £1.40ish for the night premium (12am-6am). Not bad really if you can stand it! Also they have started introducing the discount card after 6 months, not 12 which I am quite happy about

I don't work Sundays but I think 1.5x is right...
# 11
kadis
Old 27-04-2009, 5:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default thanks

can anyone tell me what is the rate of pay after 6mths in tesco express????
# 12
purt
Old 28-04-2009, 1:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I used to work for Tesco years ago as a student and was very well paid. I left after 5+ years with a raft of benefits from shares etc that I'd accumulated. Back then the discount was 10% after a year and on purchases over 3. The discount scheme was widely abused - hardly any surprise they limit it. Staff were bringing their extended families and next door neighbours in to do their shopping on the cheap.
# 13
anitawilson854
Old 23-06-2011, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes View Post
Just enquiring if anyone who works for tesco's can enlighten me how much pay is per hour for days/nights etc.
Thanks in advance
as of 2011 at tesco in the depots its 7 per hour for first started after 6 months its 8.06 nights is 10.06 and weekends is same
# 14
JOR
Old 24-06-2011, 5:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Rate of pay is 6.82 at present, but with the 2.5 % pay rise, will be 7. There is extra pay for night work (midnight til 6am) and Sunday. 10% staff discount after 6 months, and also 50% extra credit on Tesco mobile.
You also get lots of other perks like vouchers, and can buy shares, have profit sharing after 2 years (I think), and the staff canteens are heavily subsidised and sell great food!
# 15
kidshorsesdogs
Old 24-06-2011, 6:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

According to a friend, they pay higher than Marks & Spencers, Adsa and all other supermarkets.. as she's had interviews at virtually all of them in the past year.. she went with Tesco and it seems they are very nice to work for!
# 16
welshman5
Old 12-09-2011, 1:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I worked at M&S for 3 years. When I left my hourly rate was 6.53. The rate had gone up to I think about 6.60 for Customer Assistants. However, because I was on a warning my pay froze to 6.53. If you receive a warning and the rate increases you will not get a raise until your warning has cleared. And then you have to wait until the pay goes up again.
The pay with M&S typically goes up in October time. If your on a warning you will also not receive any pay bonuses that the company offers. The staff discount at M&S is 20% but you can't use it for technology items (TV's DVD's etc).
I've just been offered a job at Tesco (today actually) so I'm looking forward to it. I didn't enjoy my time at M&S for certain reasons. Mainly because I didn't get a lot of thanks for the amount of work I did there, but I know thats probably the same everywhere.
# 17
A.L.D.A
Old 12-09-2011, 9:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

For context the minimum wage is;

• 5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
  • 4.92 - the 18-20 rate
The Following User Says Thank You to A.L.D.A For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
*Kat*
Old 12-09-2011, 9:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Pretty sure we get paid 7 per hour, basic rate?
Weight loss to date: 7lbs
Money made selling junk on ebay : 87.93

# 19
markprest
Old 27-12-2011, 2:04 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.D.A View Post
For context the minimum wage is;

• 5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
  • 4.92 - the 18-20 rate
Nothing for Britain's biggest and most profitable retailer to be proud of, is it?

This comes as a huge surprise to me. I simply had no idea. I assumed Tesco was a better employer than that. From other posts, I gather the likes of M&S pay around the same. It also appears wages have either stagnated over much the better part of a decade or actually gone down.

I need to re-think where I choose to shop. I simply don't want most of my weekly food spend to go towards what are (apart from a derisory 80p or so an hour) minimum wage employers.
# 20
jaggedmentality
Old 27-12-2011, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprest View Post
Nothing for Britain's biggest and most profitable retailer to be proud of, is it?

This comes as a huge surprise to me. I simply had no idea. I assumed Tesco was a better employer than that. From other posts, I gather the likes of M&S pay around the same. It also appears wages have either stagnated over much the better part of a decade or actually gone down.

I need to re-think where I choose to shop. I simply don't want most of my weekly food spend to go towards what are (apart from a derisory 80p or so an hour) minimum wage employers.
minimum wage employers? bear in mind that one its a 2.5% or so payrise for all staff during a period when half the public sector had a wage freeze. then you factor in there are no qualifications taken into account when you are interviewed for said job. Plus after a set period you get a discount card entitling you to 10% off shopping plus the same reward points.. a pension scheme 2nd to none and a life insurance policy built into your contract when you are permanent staff. Add to that after a years service you get 5% of your annual wage in free shares every year thereafter. Plus a management scheme that judges you on merit rather than a paper degree.... go figure.... Throw in a decent pension and i find it hard to see your point? Yeah its only a pound above minimum wage but its not a taxing job. Granted it can be busy... ie xmas but for a walk in job... not too bad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaggedmentality For This Useful Post: Show me >>