Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > heating grants with dependant on DLA?!?!? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
heating grants with dependant on DLA?!?!?
Closed Thread
Views: 11,407
# 1
lonesheep
Old 30-05-2008, 3:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default heating grants with dependant on DLA?!?!?

Hi.

My boiler has just broken down - its terminal. Its over 26yrs old, so I was thinking about replacing with a combi boiler. However, before I shell out cash I dont really have - I was wondering if there are any grants for this sorta thing. I don't claim any benefits - but my son claims Disability Living Allowance on the middle tier.

I get really confused :confused: with these benefits things - and just wish there was one place where all grants/benefits were listed!

I'm in Swindon if that helps.

Cheers
# 2
Poppycat
Old 30-05-2008, 3:18 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Depending on you income less than £15,460, you may get a warm front grant. Some providers offer some help although I doubt it will cover a new boiler if you get certain benefits and may offer social tariffs or safety checks. My daughters get higher rate DLA and we are moving to British Gas soon they have extra help if someone who resides in the house gets DLA. Scottish Power who safety checks also if you are a vulnerable customer, we are getting one next week even though we are moving to BG

http://www.warmfront.co.uk/do-i-qualify.htm

Last edited by Poppycat; 30-05-2008 at 3:50 PM.
# 3
ineedcash
Old 30-05-2008, 3:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi
try speaking to your local council and social services as we have a son on middle rate DLA. we managed to get a boiler and 3 radiaters fitted paid for by the council and it was not based on our income but the childs income.
also as we removed our bath to have a walk in shower fitted for our son (this was also paid for by the council )we had our council tax reduced from band b to band a for making the home adapted for a disabled person
hope this helps a little
The Following User Says Thank You to ineedcash For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
lapat
Old 31-05-2008, 9:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

we have a disabled child and we have had cavity wall and loft insulation done for free by british gas and we get the middle level of dla
not sure about the boiler though but its worth enquiring i would say

but thanks to ineedcash because i didnt know that you can apply for a council tax banding reduction. and i will be hunting the council down on monday.
need to have a lightbulb moment
The Following User Says Thank You to lapat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
tillytomcat
Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

some councils will give you a grant if a old combi boiler is being replaced with a new condensing combi boiler, definately ring up and ask about this as i missed out after finding out at a later date.
# 6
Canucklehead
Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Good afternoon: Have you visited the Energy Saving Trust website for info?

HTH

Canucklehead
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
# 7
Bungarm2001
Old 01-06-2008, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My son is on middle rate DLA and he eventually got hold of Warm Front (?I think? This was a few years ago) who installed a new boiler in his home really quickly, and where he wanted it too.

It was classed as an emergency because the old one was condemned by Transco (as they were then called) and it was November.

Definitely enquire about this. The powers that be never tell you what you are entitled to unless someone tells you, or you investigate further. He started by contacting his local CAB. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bungarm2001 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Poppycat
Old 01-06-2008, 2:20 PM

Shame OP hasn't returned yet to read the helpful posts

# 9
lonesheep
Old 10-06-2008, 9:24 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Thanks

Many thanks for all these replies. I'll be contacting council today.
# 10
macca5
Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

i have just been accepted for a new boiler from homefront! ive heard some bad press over this companie and would like some info on it if possible cheers
# 11
mrs pepperpot
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
MoneySaving Convert

um, well we had no heating, no hot water, i have three kids one with autism and chronic bowel problem, one with autism and repetative handwash issue ocd, and ou dd has reynaurds ( must not get cold) so how long were we waiting after grant approval.....................................9 months
sorry in the end i phoned the minister in whitehall who is responsable for the grant administration, the next day the team arrived. mmmmmm hope igwana works quicker 4 u
" I'm just a simple janitor, who can control people with my mind"
# 12
Bungarm2001
Old 10-06-2008, 3:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My son was also told 9 months...and this was in October. It would have meant the whole winter without hot water and heating. One of his kids has asthma pretty bad too (it's my son with the major problem tho)

On someones advice, they phoned every day to check on how their case was progressing, and I don't know what happened but all I remember was my D.I.L. genuinely broke down once on the phone when speaking to someone, and lo and behold, they were put to the front of the list and the boiler was in just before Xmas.

It definitely pays to politely make a nuisance of yourself I think...but I do stress the word 'politely!'
# 13
lonesheep
Old 16-06-2008, 7:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

No joy with any type of grant, as I earn over 15k/annum and a child who gets DLA isn't eligible criteria for a grant with warmfront they tell me. Go I'm off to spend money I haven't got on a boiler system! Still I can try and haggle with the local installers - getting three quotes and all that kinda stuff.
# 14
Poppycat
Old 16-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Do you get any council tax benefit. The reason I am asking is that we got turned down last year just over 15k with wftc/ctc but we applied for council tax and got a small amount which then got us the grant. At the time my daughter didnt get DLA

# 15
ineedcash
Old 17-06-2008, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i earn over 30k per year and our council still paid for a boiler and 3 radiators, also they paid for a walk in shower. because these items were needed for our son our income was never taken into account.
speak to social services they may help
# 16
titewad
Old 17-06-2008, 8:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedcash View Post
hi
try speaking to your local council and social services as we have a son on middle rate DLA. we managed to get a boiler and 3 radiaters fitted paid for by the council and it was not based on our income but the childs income.
also as we removed our bath to have a walk in shower fitted for our son (this was also paid for by the council )we had our council tax reduced from band b to band a for making the home adapted for a disabled person
hope this helps a little
Can I ask if yours is a council house, or do the council actually pay for this work in private houses?
# 17
Poppycat
Old 17-06-2008, 9:16 PM

You can get grants for adaptations to a house private or council if the person has a disability I believe and the adaptation could help them

If you have a disability and have difficulties managing in your home, it may be possible to reduce these problems by altering or adapting your home. An occupational therapist (OT) or someone from Social Services will visit your home to discuss your needs.

# 18
sparklegirl
Old 22-06-2008, 8:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default warmfront

hi poppycat
i work for warmfront, you do need to be in receipt of benefits and own or privatelyur home rent yo to qualify for the scheme, if you are a tenant there are conditions if wanting a boiler
not sure of your circumstances but.if you are 60 or over there is a scheme called the rebate 300 , you get 300 off the cost of a repair or replacement of boiler providing the boiler is broken or has intermittant faults, the web site is www.warmfront.co.uk
i hope this helps, if not you, then perhaps other guys who read this
Closed Thread