Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > MeterPlus want to change my meter, I'm a non-Npow... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
MeterPlus want to change my meter, I'm a non-Npower customer??
Closed Thread
Views: 15,067
# 1
owlie27
Old 24-05-2008, 11:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default MeterPlus want to change my meter, I'm a non-Npower customer??

I received a letter today saying that Meterplus are coming to change my meter. I notice on the letter it says NPower at the top. I am a former Npower customer, but have been with another provider for the past 2 months.

Im a bit miffed, as this will be inconvienient and involved waiting in all day and taking time off work! The meter isnt a prepay one - just a normal meter.

Do I have to have this changed? Can anyone advise please? :confused:
# 2
Sol00
Old 24-05-2008, 1:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This happened to my mum when she switched from Scottish Power to Scottish Gas. When she switched to SG, SP sent someone out to change the meter to a key meter. I would phone NPower to confirm you aren't their customer any longer and that you don't wish a new meter.
# 3
espresso
Old 24-05-2008, 1:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Your meter may just need to be changed due to it reaching the end of it's service life. i.e. nothing to do with your supplier. If you look carefully, you should see a date or date code on it somewhere.
Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..
# 4
dellxps
Old 24-05-2008, 1:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It doesn't matter who your supplier is. Meterplus are most likely the Meter Operator in your area (the people who own your meter) and your meter has most likely come to the end of its certified life.
# 5
bryanb
Old 24-05-2008, 1:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Take the reading of the old and new meters on the change day. This will help to sort confusion later
This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
# 6
billycasper
Old 28-09-2008, 3:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

just came across this thread, basically meter plus who are authourized to fit meters in your area (regardless of supplier) are owned by npower
# 7
Retired
Old 02-10-2008, 4:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Suspicious of E-on

I have just changed to E-on as my dual supplier. E-on Energy Services insisted on replacing the existing elec meter [which was installed when the house was built in Sep 2001] on 17th Sep. The recorded average daily consumption since then is 12.93 units compared to 9.92 units in 2006 & 7.64 units in 2007. We have gas central heating & a gas hob & have not added any electrical appliances or changed our lifestyle. Does anyone know the normal lifespan of an elec. meter? Am I being unduly paranoid?
# 8
espresso
Old 02-10-2008, 4:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
I have just changed to E-on as my dual supplier. E-on Energy Services insisted on replacing the existing elec meter [which was installed when the house was built in Sep 2001] on 17th Sep. The recorded average daily consumption since then is 12.93 units compared to 9.92 units in 2006 & 7.64 units in 2007. We have gas central heating & a gas hob & have not added any electrical appliances or changed our lifestyle. Does anyone know the normal lifespan of an elec. meter? Am I being unduly paranoid?
It depends on the type of meter. The modern electronic ones have a shorter life, due to having a battery inside and these batteries are generally not replaced on site but the whole meter is exchanged for a new one. The older mechanical types have a service life of at least twenty years, twice as long.
Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..
# 9
JHEATON
Old 02-10-2008, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso View Post
It depends on the type of meter. The modern electronic ones have a shorter life, due to having a battery inside and these batteries are generally not replaced on site but the whole meter is exchanged for a new one. The older mechanical types have a service life of at least twenty years, twice as long.
Your electric (E6) meter will be exchanged for a bellows (G4) meter which is noisy, see thread National Grid Gas Meter Exchange program.I wish I had'nt had mine changed.
JHEATON.
# 10
BYALPHAINDIA
Old 03-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Meter Plus are part of NPower, They do all the meter changes/installation etc.
# 11
BYALPHAINDIA
Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
No, Why do they have to change the meter, It doesn't matter who supplys you the meter works the same?

Probably an excuse to make more money?
# 12
BYALPHAINDIA
Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Meters run for years, Some are over 50 year old.
# 13
far
Old 03-10-2008, 12:14 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYALPHAINDIA View Post
Meters run for years, Some are over 50 year old.
I'd be surprised if a large proportion of meters are over 30 years old, let alone 50. They have a risk of becoming both inaccurate and unsafe as time passes by. If someone is injured or killed in a house fire caused by a faulty electric meter or suffers the same serious consequences as a result of an explosion from a faulty gas meter just who do you think is held responsible? The answer to that question is why utility companies change meters. The notices start coming at least a year before the meter change is due but if you don't respond and/or stall for that period, be aware the utlity companies can and will gain a court order on safety grounds to break into the property and change the meter.
The Following User Says Thank You to far For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
BYALPHAINDIA
Old 03-10-2008, 1:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I know they will 'kick a few doors in' Iv'e seen them do it.Lol
# 15
DancesWithFools
Old 18-08-2011, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Meter Replacement

The electricity company will normally say this if they suspect that something dodgy is happening with your meter and need to retrieve it for closer inspection. This is to say that they may suspect that you are tampering with the meter.
The electricity companies normally monitor and compare your bills with previous ones. If they see that your bills have dropped significantly they are alerted to this. Even though you may just be getting more careful with your usage.
They will come and check your meter for filled in holes, Missing seals, broken components, Dust and scratches on the spinning silver wheel, Scratches to the leads entering your meter, and the smell of burning that can be caused by reversing devices. If they see any of these things they will ask you there and then if you know how they got there. They will replace the meter if the meter has been in the house longer than you and will monitor the new meter closely. If they do find the above mentioned anomalies on a meter that has been replaced whilst you are living there this is grounds enough to start court proceedings for the illegal abstraction of electricity.
If you have been caught tampering with the meter they used to say that if you admit to it and pay a revised bill they will not take it any further (Revised bill = whopping bill). Although i witnessed that in every case that I saw they ALWAYS TAKE LEAGLE ACTION!
Hope this doesn’t worry you but like I say I used to work as part of the anti tamper team for one of these companies about 10 years ago.
# 16
mattcanary
Old 19-08-2011, 7:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There are plenty of electric meters around that are more thatn 30 years old. Trust me, I know - I'm a meter reader.

London seems to have a particualrly lareg number of old-style dial meters still in place
# 17
billycasper
Old 19-08-2011, 11:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i cant wait for a whole new "LEAGLE" industry to spring forth .. having said that.. i know people who have had their meters changed 3 times in a year because the computer systems are triggered to activate a change,
Why??
because of no or little usage
the reason was they were flooded out in the summer of 2007 and the time spent renovating triggered the computers of british gas and npower in particular into thinking that there was a faulty meter. it got to the point where both these companies had representatives on these estates daily, walking round calming people down.. what fun.
# 18
Swipe
Old 20-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yeah, OnStream insisted on replacing mine even though it was less than 12 months old and replaced it with an identical one. Being a very low user, I now know they must have suspected a faulty under reading meter or me tampering. I tried my hardest to wriggle out of it, ignored their letters, phoned them to say it didn't need doing as it only had 1900 units on it from new. In the end they wouldn't take no for an answer and came and replaced it at my desired time, 6pm. My usage hasn't changed so I suppose it was a big waste of their time (and mine) in the end.
# 19
TheDillusion
Old 21-08-2011, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Everyone chill.

npower ARE MeterPlus, likewise...EDF are LondonElectric and Lowri Beck...Back before energy was competative all of these companies used to just operate under their trading names like "northern electric, british gas" etc...But when people could choose their supplier, these companies had to rename their metering engineers so that people who were (for example) with npower changed to BGAS they wouldn't be like "what?!" when npower came to fix their meter...Its all about territory.

Basically, npower look after the north, EDF look after London, Scottish Power look after scotland (duh) and so on...
I am an npower employee, however my opinions are mine alone and do NOT represent the opinions of npower or any portion of the RWE Group of companies
Closed Thread