IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is Lincoln a nice place to live?
Closed Thread
Views: 9,371
# 1
Bestthingsinlifearefree
Old 23-05-2008, 3:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Is Lincoln a nice place to live?

HI,

I am thinking of moving north from the south east. Due to silly house prices in the south east. I work from home so work is not an issue (as long as there is internet access).

One of the places I have been looking at is Lincoln. It seems nice, property appears to be not to expensive and it has a good range of facilities (from what I can gather from internet research)

I have never been to Lincoln but before I go on an exploration trip there I thought I would ask the good folk of MSE what there opinions / views of Lincoln are. Any there any parts of the town to avoid are there any parts which are particularly nice etc etc

Would you recommend Lincoln as nice place to live?

Last edited by Bestthingsinlifearefree; 23-05-2008 at 3:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bestthingsinlifearefree For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
lisal0u
Old 23-05-2008, 5:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Bestthingsinlifearefree,

I actually work in Lincoln and I can tell you it is a lovely place. If you have ever been to York its a bit like that. Off hand I can tell you the St Giles estate is not particularly great. I will ask at work for the other places to avoid.

It does have one annoying problem and that is the road network. It was never designed to cope with the amount of trafic there is today so it can be a bit of a nightmare getting in and out of Lincoln.

It is a an old historic city with a beautiful cathedral and it also has a university. One thing I would say is make sure you check out if an area you like is in the Flood Map (www.environment-agency.gov.uk). Quite a lot of Lincoln is within the Flood Map.

If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask!

Kind regards
Lisa
The Following User Says Thank You to lisal0u For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Bestthingsinlifearefree
Old 23-05-2008, 5:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Lisa,

Thanks that's great background info. From what I have learnt so far Lincoln seems a decent place. The flooding is a good point particuarly in regard to buying property etc.

I am also looking at Schools (as I have a little lad 18 months old). I note The Priory seems like a great high school re exam results (though that is a long way off yet).

I probably will have some more Qu's if / when things progress. I think when you move some where you can never beat local knowledge.

Best,

Last edited by Bestthingsinlifearefree; 23-05-2008 at 5:38 PM.
# 4
lisal0u
Old 23-05-2008, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hiya,

Yes Priory LSST is an excellent school. I have a friend who is a teacher there and she can't praise it enough.

I would love to live in Lincoln (currently live in S!!!!horpe which is about 26 miles further north) but the other half travels a lot and it would add a lot of extra travelling to his day if we moved there

Good luck with your house hunting!
Lisa
The Following User Says Thank You to lisal0u For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
VickyA
Old 23-05-2008, 6:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I'm originally from Lincolnshire and I'd move back in a flash. Sadly, DH's job prevents us at the moment.

........................ then again, I always said that I'd move back to Lincoln when GAP opened a shop there.
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - saver #153 85 banked
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Nov 2013 - OUT 65 IN 25
365 in 365 days challenge 2014 #2 - 273/365 2 Savers #21 - 120 banked
Virtual Savings #151 - 158.98
# 6
amcluesent
Old 23-05-2008, 6:13 PM
PPR

Have you considered Stamford or Oundle? Then t'lad can go to Uppingham school. Lincoln, like Norwich, suffers from being miles from anywhere and it takes an age to get to London for shows, concerts etc.

Last edited by amcluesent; 23-05-2008 at 6:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to amcluesent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
clobber
Old 23-05-2008, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Lincoln is lovely. Not very moneysaving because it is full of FANTASTIC restaurants and pubs. Very pretty town with lots of sights to see, walking into town from where I was was always a pleasure.

Don't know about schools.

Nowhere in Lincs (except possibly Grantham, which is godawful) is particularly well connected either by road or rail, which can be a pain in the bum.
The Following User Says Thank You to clobber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
pinkshoes
Old 23-05-2008, 7:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The best thing about Lincoln is that it's not mentioned in many tourist guide books, despite being a (mostly) beautiful city, which means it's not swamped with Tourists.

There's decent train links to London via Newark, so it's not completely in the middle of no where!! I used to live out in the stigs of North Lincolnshire for 18 years!!

Go on the ofsted webpage to check out local schools.

Avoid the St Giles estate! Here's a nice place to rent near the bailgate:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai..._n=1&tr_t=rent
It's a shame when the right to freedom of speech is not honoured...
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
clobber
Old 23-05-2008, 8:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Minster Yard! There's posh now.

I lived in the hospital accomodation which was an utter dump but the walk into town took one past the Cathedral, the Castle, numerous VERY nice pubs and cafes - lovely.

Now I live in a poncey flat and get a bus to work - something has gone wrong...
# 10
scorpio princess
Old 23-05-2008, 8:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've often thought about moving to Lincoln as it does indeed seem like a nice place (i'll be looking to do a PGCE in a few years, but unfortunately none of the unis up that way seem to do them - yet!)

Like other have said though, the road infrastructure is a bit pap. One word - A17!!! Gotta be a contender for the worst road in Britain. But then again I live in Nowich so i'm used to it

The cathedral there looks absolutely amazing! I've never been inside, but from the outside it really is breathtaking (i'm a sucker for old architecture). Also, if being near the coast is your bag, it's not that far away. There's also the bright lights of Nottingham not too far away, just in case you crave a bit of big city life.

Good luck with your search, i'm sure you won't regret getting out of London!
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio princess For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
lyndasharp
Old 23-05-2008, 9:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Agreed, Lincoln is fantastic, went to Uni there. I'd avoid Monks Road area as well as St Giles. I used to live uphill, and around Burton Road area is definitely a good place to look at.
Live on 11k in 2011
The Following User Says Thank You to lyndasharp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Bestthingsinlifearefree
Old 26-05-2008, 3:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for all your comments guys. I am going to do my first expedition to Lincoln next weekend

Overall the verdict seems it's a decent place though a bit isolated by traffic links etc.
# 13
wymondham
Old 26-05-2008, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcluesent View Post
Lincoln, like Norwich, suffers from being miles from anywhere and it takes an age to get to London for shows, concerts etc.
Not necessarily a bad point as it works both ways!
# 14
misty-moodles
Old 26-05-2008, 5:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello, just thought I'd echo all the comments praising Lincoln above. OH and I have both lived in Lincoln all our lives (now in our 40s), our children go to the Priory (which is an excellent school), the cathedral is beautiful as is the Bailgate area uphill. Apart from St. Giles, I would also avoid Westwick Gardens as an area to live. Apart from that Lincoln is great, not much serious crime, it is a bit off the beaten track, but that adds to its charm we feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to misty-moodles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread