Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > DVLA Sorn Question Help needed pls to appeal (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
DVLA Sorn Question Help needed pls to appeal
Closed Thread
Views: 5,063
# 1
pesky2
Old 21-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default DVLA Sorn Question Help needed pls to appeal

Anyone help with a quick DVLA question, Took Vehicle off road afew months ago as only use this particular one afew times a year and cashed in Tax disc for refund, Forgot to tick a tiny little box on the form which i couldn't remember seeing to declare sorn, afew months later they come after us with a fixed penalty of 80 for allegedly not declaring sorn, can i appeal and if so how, can't find any details on DVLA about appealsThanks in advance
# 2
anewman
Old 22-05-2008, 12:09 AM

Best to declare sorn and pay up asap. The DVLA are Nazis, and if you fall out of line (not reading the little bits on their letters) they fine you to the hilt and there's no appeals process.
# 3
pesky2
Old 22-05-2008, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman View Post
Best to declare sorn and pay up asap. The DVLA are Nazis, and if you fall out of line (not reading the little bits on their letters) they fine you to the hilt and there's no appeals process.
There forms are stupid, it should automatically tell them its common sense that if taking it off road that we are declaring sorn.My partner wants to ake it further, but as you say when looking around there appears to be no appeals process
# 4
pesky2
Old 22-05-2008, 9:11 AM

Thanks fir the info anewman my thanks button doesnt work
# 5
TangledMemories
Old 22-05-2008, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to TangledMemories

Speaking as an ex-DVLA employee - don't bother appealing. The amount of people I used to have to deal with who had the same issues as you and there is absolutely NO way round it.
The argument they will use is on the V14 form there is quite a large RED box which says everything about declaring your vehicle SORN http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/V14.pdf

Sorry but there is no point banging your head up against a brick wall.
I am not a complete idiot - some parts are missing

# 6
dfountain
Old 14-12-2008, 8:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

On Thursday we received 22 letters for vehicles we have, an oversight - the SORN reminders were put to one side and forgotten about. So now we are looking at a 40 fine for each vehicle, 880 in total. I don't mind a punishment if it fits the crime but I find this incredibly steep for such an oversight. Is it possible to appeal?. If only to get the amount reduced.
Thanks in advance
# 7
Bernie
Old 14-12-2008, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via ICQ to Bernie Send a message via MSN to Bernie Send a message via Skype™ to Bernie

...and did you notice how the cheeky rip-off merchants of the DVLA provide a nice 0870 contact number on the V14. Fine evidence how a monopoly supplier can abuse it's position to stiff it's "customers". On a par with hospital parking fees...
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.

But when I got to be twenty one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

Mark Twain
# 8
jeannieblue
Old 14-12-2008, 8:18 PM

Anewman was right. Guess it was something you didn't want to hear and that was why your reply was so rude. No need for that.

Pay up what is due.. it is not an outrageous sum for goodness sake and it was you that made the mistake, not DVLA.
Genie
Master Technician
# 9
Neil Peters
Old 15-12-2008, 12:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I wouldn't bother appealing, my car was written off by my insurance company in June shortly before the tax was due to run out, and after sending my insurance company the logbook etc I was fined by the DVLA last month for having no tax on the car even though I don't have the logbook and havent since June.

After being on the phone to the relevant office I was told the fine stands and must be paid, told them it won't be paid till I speak with my insurance company as surely they should have informed the DVLA it had been written off.
# 10
Conor
Old 15-12-2008, 1:50 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky2 View Post
There forms are stupid, it should automatically tell them its common sense that if taking it off road that we are declaring sorn.
Why? You could be selling it on and are cashing the tax in. You could be scrapping it and are cashing the tax in. In March, there'll be a fair few people cashing their tax in and retaxing the car for 12 months to avoid the VED hike.
# 11
derrick
Old 15-12-2008, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky2 View Post
Anyone help with a quick DVLA question, Took Vehicle off road afew months ago as only use this particular one afew times a year and cashed in Tax disc for refund, Forgot to tick a tiny little box on the form which i couldn't remember seeing to declare sorn, afew months later they come after us with a fixed penalty of 80 for allegedly not declaring sorn, can i appeal and if so how, can't find any details on DVLA about appealsThanks in advance
Looking at the link in post #5, I cannot see a "box to tick"? I have filled in that form for a refund and declare SORN, I am not anticipating any probs, I took it to our local DVLA office, (on 28th November), had it stamped and got a copy.

It is also showing on the DVLA website , vehicle enquiry, as "SORN not due"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
...and did you notice how the cheeky rip-off merchants of the DVLA provide a nice 0870 contact number on the V14. Fine evidence how a monopoly supplier can abuse it's position to stiff it's "customers". On a par with hospital parking fees...
Well don't use that number, use this one; - 01792 782341, it takes you to the menu from where you can go anywhere.
Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

# 12
flutterbyuk25
Old 15-12-2008, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Peters View Post
I wouldn't bother appealing, my car was written off by my insurance company in June shortly before the tax was due to run out, and after sending my insurance company the logbook etc I was fined by the DVLA last month for having no tax on the car even though I don't have the logbook and havent since June.

After being on the phone to the relevant office I was told the fine stands and must be paid, told them it won't be paid till I speak with my insurance company as surely they should have informed the DVLA it had been written off.
It is still your legal responsibilty to inform DVLA when you dispose of a vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle was written off.

You should have returned Section 9 from the logbook, or written a letter if you had mistakenly given this to your insurer
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like, but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.

279 264.5
# 13
flutterbyuk25
Old 15-12-2008, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Why? You could be selling it on and are cashing the tax in. You could be scrapping it and are cashing the tax in. In March, there'll be a fair few people cashing their tax in and retaxing the car for 12 months to avoid the VED hike.
Conor,

The increase in VED was shelved by Chancellor. Max increase now of 5 for majority of vehicles.

Also, from jan 1st 2009 refunds can only be paid if vehicle has been sold/scrapped/exported or declared SORN for minimum of 21 days. And will only be paid to a person who is current or previous registered keeper.

x
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like, but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.

279 264.5
# 14
dfountain
Old 15-12-2008, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

On Thursday we received 22 letters for vehicles we have, an oversight - the SORN reminders were put to one side and forgotten about. So now we are looking at a 40 fine for each vehicle, 880 in total. I don't mind a punishment if it fits the crime but I find this incredibly steep for such an oversight. Is it possible to appeal?. If only to get the amount reduced.
Thanks in advance
# 15
Thomas99
Old 15-12-2008, 10:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfountain [B
Today, 9:50 PM[/B];16770095]On Thursday we received 22 letters for vehicles we have, an oversight - the SORN reminders were put to one side and forgotten about. So now we are looking at a 40 fine for each vehicle, 880 in total. I don't mind a punishment if it fits the crime but I find this incredibly steep for such an oversight. Is it possible to appeal?. If only to get the amount reduced.
Thanks in advance
You already wrote that yesterday (8:08 PM)...why have you got 22 vehicles? If you are a trader, you should know the rules. If you are a private individual with 22 vehicles, you can afford the 880 penalty
Founder member MSE Jet Airways Mile High Club
Member #1
# 16
Conor
Old 16-12-2008, 3:07 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterbyuk25 View Post
Conor,

The increase in VED was shelved by Chancellor. Max increase now of 5 for majority of vehicles.

Also, from jan 1st 2009 refunds can only be paid if vehicle has been sold/scrapped/exported or declared SORN for minimum of 21 days. And will only be paid to a person who is current or previous registered keeper.

x
Fair enough. I've given up trying to keep up with it all and it was only an extra 15 a year for me anyway which isn't worth worrying about.
Closed Thread