Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > What's the best white gloss paint in the world? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What's the best white gloss paint in the world?
Closed Thread
Views: 54,782
# 1
Sloganjerry
Old 18-05-2008, 10:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question What's the best white gloss paint in the world?

Calling all DIYers and professional painters!

Can anyone recommend a really good white gloss paint for woodwork? Over the years I've tried different paints but alot of them have peeled, flaked, chipped easily or even sort of smudged where the paint hasn't properly dried after weeks of being on!?

I need to do my staircase and skirting boards in my new house and want to use something that won't mean I have to do it again too soon (hopefully never).

Please tell me what's your No1 white gloss paint?

Cheers guys
# 2
MrsE
Old 18-05-2008, 10:16 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Satinwood, not gloss.

Doesn't yellow as quick.

Satinwood once.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
red bertie
Old 18-05-2008, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes I'd give satinwood my vote - it's a lot easier to apply than gloss, be it non-drip or drip type! Never is a long time - what an optimist .

RB
The Following User Says Thank You to red bertie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ukwoody
Old 18-05-2008, 11:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Satinwood is indeed a very good product. But with every respect, the key is in the preperation and application.
Running a team of painters within the NHS, we used several different brands of paint (though we settled on Crown). All the main brands lasted better then cheap ones. But they all took one hell of a hammering.

The key really is doing it by the book. That means rubbing it right down, priming, 2 x undercoat and one times gloss. Putting it on so that it flows nicely without being too thick nor so thin you can see thru it.
I can Guarentee to anybody and I mean anybody that done correctly, good brands applied in the right way will last for years and years. I will bet, any painter who reads this thread will agree with me on this point.

Do bear in mind though, that any paint applied on very sharp edges will always eventually chip if hit regularly enough.

Woody
City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukwoody For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
adandem
Old 19-05-2008, 9:19 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I love Dulux quick drying gloss/satinwood, it does not smell, it dries extremely quickly and does not yellow at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to adandem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
agent orange
Old 19-05-2008, 9:26 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I remember a ex painter and decorated who swore by permaglaze paint.
Having said that, it was a good few years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to agent orange For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
MelMcM
Old 19-05-2008, 9:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile I've just glossed all my woodwork with...

Wickes Master One Coat... BUT... I found it gives an ultra amazing finish if you undercoat and then use it. Amazing shine and whiteness. Good price too.

I'm renovating at the mo and have turned all old dark wood to white using this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MelMcM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Sloganjerry
Old 19-05-2008, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thumbs up Winner yet to be decided........watch this space.

Thanks Guys.

A few good suggestions there.................I've also been told that Johnstones ultra gloss is the best gloss on the market. Anyone tried this?

Maybe I'll try different glosses all over the house and see which parts stay nicest for longest (ha,ha).

Anymore takers for the title of World's best white gloss paint?
# 9
OddjobKIA
Old 19-05-2008, 5:43 PM

preperation preperation preperation

that and apllication...

if possiblealways try to do so in a warm dry enviroment and if possible do so on a horizontal surface ( ie take door of hinges and lay down in seperate room on tressles apply using VERY good brush with natural bristles always in ONE direction only ie left to right NOT BACK AND FORTH AS SOME PEOPLE BELIVE ONE DIRECTION MEANS.

IT IS BETTER TO DO MORE THINER COATS THAN ONE THICK COAT
THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
The Following User Says Thank You to OddjobKIA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
phill99
Old 19-05-2008, 5:51 PM

Woody is right. The key is effective preparation. The reason the paint has flaked is that it is poorly 'keyed' ie lack of good undercoat. Remember to use knotting on knots as this will stop the sap seeping through. For speed, acrylic undercoat is fine but for long term results you need a good quality oil based undercoat. And as woody says: 1 primer, 2 undercoat and 1 gloss or top coat. After many years of applying paint, you may need to 'burn off' the paint and undercoat and get back to bare wood and start again. Sand it well and fill and dents etc with a good quality filler. Satinwood is a nice product and gives a nice finish. It is especially good if paint etc is chipped and you don't want to fill as it doesn't reflect the light like gloss so won't show the imperfections. If you use matt emulsion on the walls and ceiling, it helps make the room look bigger as the light isn't bounced around it. We always use Johnstones gloss / undercoat etc and have good results. Good brushes are key also - don't overload them.
The Following User Says Thank You to phill99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
ukwoody
Old 19-05-2008, 6:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I use a lot of Johnstones and really like it, but I do find the liquid gloss quite runny. According to two local distributors Jonstones has out-performed Dulux in several trade tests over the recent years. Certainly I have no complaints in it's coverage/opacity.

Phils back. Been Yomping again mate?

Woody
City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher
# 12
phill99
Old 19-05-2008, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwoody View Post
I use a lot of Johnstones and really like it, but I do find the liquid gloss quite runny. According to two local distributors Jonstones has out-performed Dulux in several trade tests over the recent years. Certainly I have no complaints in it's coverage/opacity.

Phils back. Been Yomping again mate?

Woody
Sort of mate. Been real busy too. Burning the candle at both ends. Been working up in London and leaving at silly o clock to meet the traffic and by the time I get home I'm fit to drop!
# 13
bernlyn
Old 05-06-2008, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default looking for a good white paint

hi havent posted for awhile but now back into the dreaded diy and i am looking for a good white paint to paint skirting boards and door surrounds.

i did paint a door white ealier this year but it is already turning a yellowish colour. i want the white to stay white
# 14
bernlyn
Old 05-06-2008, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi have any of yous' had any complaints of these whites tuning a shade yellow.

i am also bookmarking this as i will be starting to paint soon thanks again
# 15
woodbutcher
Old 05-06-2008, 2:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My bro is a painter and decorator and uses Johnstones trade paints.Did my last house from top to bottom and it seems a good product to me.Will use it again on my new place.

Also,i remember watching a consumer programme once were they tested all leading brands of paint by using different ones on different beach huts in a set location.Crown came out on top despite not being the dearest one.This was a few years ago though.
# 16
maninthestreet
Old 05-06-2008, 4:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Dulux, Crown.
I've only recently discovered that it's the sun that stops white paint going yellow, and the lack of sunlight that causes it to turn yellow.
The Following User Says Thank You to maninthestreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
nickj
Old 05-06-2008, 5:28 PM

dulux trade paint are the best , solvent based paints do turn yellow after a while , water based paints tend to stay whiter for longer , but aren't quite as tough as solvent based . they dry quicker and the paint doesn't smell so bad ,
# 18
snax
Old 05-06-2008, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=922563
Learn to laugh at yourself ... everyone else has
Regards
S.
# 19
misgrace
Old 05-06-2008, 8:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
dulux trade paint are the best , solvent based paints do turn yellow after a while , water based paints tend to stay whiter for longer , but aren't quite as tough as solvent based . they dry quicker and the paint doesn't smell so bad ,
I agree, plus the finish is not as good as oilbase IMO
# 20
shown73
Old 05-06-2008, 9:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When there were smokers in the house, I never found one that didn't go yellow, and it didn't take long either. Life is so much easier now that we're smoke-free, whites actually stay white.
The Following User Says Thank You to shown73 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread