Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Gas Meter Replacement (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Gas Meter Replacement
Views: 25,682
# 1
Babycakes
Old 15-05-2008, 11:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Gas Meter Replacement

Does a gas supplier have to change your gas meter every few years to ensure that it is accurate?

If so, does anyone know how frequently this needs to be done?

I have an old gas meter that reads in cubic feet and I would prefer one that reads in cubic metres (i find it easier to understand!!) but my supplier says that they only replace meters if they are faulty.

Strangely enough, my electricity meter was replaced routinely by my previous supplier as a replacement was due.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
mute_posting
Old 15-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post
Does a gas supplier have to change your gas meter every few years to ensure that it is accurate?

If so, does anyone know how frequently this needs to be done?

I have an old gas meter that reads in cubic feet and I would prefer one that reads in cubic metres (i find it easier to understand!!) but my supplier says that they only replace meters if they are faulty.

Strangely enough, my electricity meter was replaced routinely by my previous supplier as a replacement was due.
AFAIK the acceptable tolerance of gas meters is + or - 2%

Electricity meters are only certified for a certain ammount of time, I think the early digital type were only certified for 10 years use - not sure about later types but the old mechanical type were certified for longer IIRC

Also you could bet your bottom dollar that a change from cubic feet to cubic metres gas meter would !!!! the billing up (is quite a common theme on this board - people having their gas calculated on the wrong units.

Why is it easier to understand a cubic metre reading - they all have to be multipled by calorific values and correction factors anyway to get Kwh?

MP
:confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.
The Following User Says Thank You to mute_posting For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Cardew
Old 16-05-2008, 7:36 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If gas meters go wrong it is most likely to be in your favour. They consist of a vane that is turned by the gas flow; there is very little chance that they can 'speed up'.

All you need to understand is that a gas unit on the old Imperial meter(1 unit = 100 cubic feet) is approx 31kWh - you can get an accurate figure from the formula on your bill when you know the exact calorific value.

On a Metric meter(1 unit = 1 cubic metre) a unit is approx 11kWh.
# 4
Premier
Old 17-05-2008, 1:44 AM

My house is about 17 years old and I have lived here since it was new.

I had a replacement gas meter fitted a couple of months ago. I asked the guy who fitted it how often they are changed and he said about every 15-20 years. I asked if he was changing the meters in the whole street, but said no, only mine. :confused: He didn't really know how the gas suppliers chose whose and when to replace meters; he said it seemed quite random.

Anyway, there was I expecting him to replace my meter with a nice new, compact, digital, metric meter ... but he pulled out an old, refurbished box which measures in cubic feet.

So even if you were to request and pay for a new meter, there's no guarantee what style it will be or whether it is metric or imperial.
# 5
Cardew
Old 17-05-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post

Anyway, there was I expecting him to replace my meter with a nice new, compact, digital, metric meter ... but he pulled out an old, refurbished box which measures in cubic feet.

So even if you were to request and pay for a new meter, there's no guarantee what style it will be or whether it is metric or imperial.
That surely must have been a mistake to put in an Imperial meter.

Tecnically it is illegal to measure anything in Imperial measurements these days. An exemption was made for Imperial Gas meters because of the huge cost involved but Transco have a remit to change all Imperial meters with Mrtric meters.

Quote:

Ofgem has been involved in these discussions with both the DTI and
NGT. Ofgem has, in these discussions, set out our view that it would not be in
the interests of consumers to force a change in the type of meter used to register their use of gas from imperial to metric when the meters are capable of continuing to accurately measure the quantity of gas consumed.

Ofgem considers the costs to consumers of doing so would likely be extremely large (potentially in excess of £1billion) and it would be better to maintain the current ‘glide path’ for replacement of meters from imperial to metric when those meters reach the end of their useful life.
# 6
moonrakerz
Old 17-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

"it would be better to maintain the current ‘glide path’ for replacement of meters from imperial to metric when those meters reach the end of their useful life."

It may be, that they can say with a straight face, that if they can be refurbished at a reasonable cost then they have not "reached the end of their useful life" !

I had a new metric meter fitted a couple of months ago - about six weeks after they changed the pressure regulator on the old imperial one !

Last edited by moonrakerz; 17-05-2008 at 12:13 PM.
# 7
Babycakes
Old 17-05-2008, 2:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Are modern gas meters digital just like modern electricity meters? Are they smaller? Or the best option - are they fitting new smart meters to help understand how you consume energy?

Last edited by Babycakes; 17-05-2008 at 2:09 PM.
# 8
paul_tanner
Old 26-08-2009, 7:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry BG Won't replace my gas meter

I'd like to get my 16 year old gas meter changed to a modern one.
I asked BG about this, stating that I was prepared to pay a call-out charge, as I did when I got a new electricity meter (only 9 years old).
They ("customer service") said that they only change meters when *they*deem it necessary. My only recourse is to pay £120 for having it tested after which they will decide if they think it needs changing.

Anyone have any idea how to break this logjam?

BTW. I considered a switch to firstutility who do install new meters. the 20% price difference and 24 month contract put me off.
# 9
MRSTITTLEMOUSE
Old 26-08-2009, 7:51 AM

I can't help I'm afraid but I just don't understand these people.
We lived in a new build and had the meter changed along with 50 or so more new builds not even six months after we moved in even though the meters had hardly anything on them.
We've only been here 3 years and had the meter changed already and that was only not quite three years old.
You just can't understand their logic.
Hope you get sorted.
By the way.I did'nt think they could charge you for callout for replacing a meter.
# 10
SandC
Old 26-08-2009, 9:24 AM

I've had letters on and off over the last couple of years about changing the gas meter. Problem is they send you a letter giving you less than a week's notice for the date they will be coming and no indication of time not even AM or PM. But you can ring up and request a date change, which I have always done. I can't just willy nilly take a day off work with less than a week's notice. And every single time I have done this they have written again closer to the date to cancel it.

It is now being done by Eon rather than gas meter services and I've been contacted about my electric meter too - at least now asking me to contact them to give them a convenient date. Perhaps one day soon I will have a new meter eh?
# 11
Vestra
Old 26-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_tanner View Post
I asked BG about this, stating that I was prepared to pay a call-out charge, as I did when I got a new electricity meter (only 9 years old).
They ("customer service") said that they only change meters when *they*deem it necessary. My only recourse is to pay £120 for having it tested after which they will decide if they think it needs changing.

Anyone have any idea how to break this logjam?

BTW. I considered a switch to firstutility who do install new meters. the 20% price difference and 24 month contract put me off.
What makes you think it's faulty?
# 12
Gman0365
Old 26-08-2009, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

You have been offered an OFGEM meter accuracy test, this cost £120.

The meter asset will be managed by a company such as National Grid Metering or OnStream. They will determine when the meter is to be changed and not the customer. As such if the customer requests that the meter is to be changed then it will have to be proven that it was faulty in some way this is why they have offered the accuracy test. If the test the meter and it is found to be faulty or inaccurate then you will have the £120 refunded. In my own experience the meter is very rarely found to be faulty.

Accuracy tests are carried out anyway on the meter population when a meter is exchanged under the policy meter exchange program carried out by National Grid Metering. These are meters that have been changed due to age and a selection of them are chosen for testing so that OFGEM can gather data on the accuracy of the meters currently being used.

The long and short of it is the meter will be changed in due course. I personally know of meters still being used that were fitted in the 60s. The reason they are not changed is that they are basically deemed to be everlasting. They are the ones that are fitted in many American homes and were manufactured by Singer.

You may also find that even when your meter is exchanged, the new meter that is fitted could be reconditioned. Some of the reconditioned ones being fitted at the moment were manufactured in 2001.
# 13
KimYeovil
Old 26-08-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_tanner View Post
Why:confused:?

Are you living in some strange parallel universe where industrial design and reliability has been improving rather than decreasing? Why on earth would you want a modern piece of tat?
# 14
SandC
Old 26-08-2009, 1:10 PM

I was thinking that myself, mine may be ancient looking but I'm not sure that digital equipment is anywhere near as reliable.
# 15
frostyman 12
Old 16-11-2009, 7:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default digital

No meter worker should replace an old imperial meter with another imperial meter. Digital meters at the moment are run by batteries, are un-economical to maintain and can be prone to battery failure, broken read-out digits and screen misting and will only be installed like for like if no other meter can be fitted in the space but their availability is severely restricted. My advice to everyone is to just wait for them to start bugging you to have it changed then it will be easier to have it done when it suits you not them. The only refurbished meters that should be installed are metric ones that have been changed usually on a credit to prepayment exchange. Bear in mind that no company will change all of its equipment unless it has to and take it from me a lot of meters are in dangerous positions or condition. Smart Metering is being introduced in 2010 so you will all have to go through this all over again
# 16
frostyman 12
Old 16-11-2009, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Meter change appointments tip- do it online, name the date, am/pm. The appointment will be made but probably not confirmed. On that morning phone them up early with access instructions ie; not before or after a certain time and because you have spoken to them the job is given priority
# 17
Joe Kink
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Meter Changing

I have checked with Scotia Gas about the likelihood of a Smart meter being installed when my meter is changed next week and they say the Smart Meters are still being trialed and will not become available for a nunber of years yet. Since the meter is over 26 years old I have agreed to it being replaced. Of course it would have saved money had they waited until the trials were complete so that a Smart meter could have been installed. However, I am concerned that the new meter will be Metric and my next bill may not register the change in unit cost. What do I need to do to ensure this doesn't happen?
# 18
HappyMJ
Old 07-07-2011, 10:33 AM

The unit cost doesn't change.
# 19
mattcanary
Old 07-07-2011, 7:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kink View Post
I have checked with Scotia Gas about the likelihood of a Smart meter being installed when my meter is changed next week and they say the Smart Meters are still being trialed and will not become available for a nunber of years yet. Since the meter is over 26 years old I have agreed to it being replaced. Of course it would have saved money had they waited until the trials were complete so that a Smart meter could have been installed. However, I am concerned that the new meter will be Metric and my next bill may not register the change in unit cost. What do I need to do to ensure this doesn't happen?

Make sure the man who changes the meter fully fills out the sticker on the new meter giving details of the final reading on the old meter, the date it was changed and the starting reading on the new meter.

That way, if the details are not updated correctly after the meter change, it can be resolved satisfactorily. The majority of meter changes are updated correctly on the records. We just don't hear about them - after all, that is what is expected.
# 20
bengasman
Old 07-07-2011, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babycakes View Post

my supplier says that they only replace meters if they are faulty.
Supplier is correct.