Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Best & cheapest way to get gas supply to my h... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Best & cheapest way to get gas supply to my house? Help!
Closed Thread
Views: 4,350
# 1
infinityplusone
Old 13-05-2008, 11:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Best & cheapest way to get gas supply to my house? Help!

My house is in a group of four houses at the end of an L-shaped driveway, about 60 metres from the road and the gas main, less distance in a straight line through peoples gardens.

I would like to be connected to gas. I am in the middle of a town with gas all around, but none of the four houses have it.

I asked the local gas company about getting connected and eventually got directed to Fulcrum. They quoted 17000 pounds to do so!!!!!

However a small civil engineering firm have quoted only about 1500 to dig the trench and put a gas main in. Unfortunately this does not include connecting the new gas main with the existing gas main in the road, but just taking the trench up to the pavement with a coil of pipe ready to connect. I've no idea how much connecting the pipe to the main would cost, I hope it would not be very much. I dont want to ask Fulcrum - I do not trust them.

I sent energywatch dot org dot uk a question but the reply was just a stock answer about a procedure that is complicated and difficult to understand. It involves looking up things on Lloyds Register for example.

So please could anyone give me any advice about the cheapest way to get a gas supply please? Thanks.
# 2
tazandtommy
Old 21-05-2008, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I work for Fulcrum (were part of National Grid Gas) 17000 sounds about right for 60m of main.

What you could do is ask if your neighbours would like gas, and then ask fulcrum for "Multiple Quote" and split it four ways. It would cost less if you excavated and backfilled the trenches on private land.

Quote:
However a small civil engineering firm have quoted only about 1500 to dig the trench and put a gas main in. Unfortunately this does not include connecting the new gas main with the existing gas main in the road, but just taking the trench up to the pavement with a coil of pipe ready to connect. I've no idea how much connecting the pipe to the main would cost, I hope it would not be very much. I dont want to ask Fulcrum - I do not trust them.
For this you would have to contact National Grid as long as the engineering firm has all the correct insurance's this should be fine. Tell them about the engineering firm and they should be able to provide you with a quote just for the connection to connect you to the main. (Fulcrum don't quote for this).

Hope this help, if you need any more info just ask
Nuts about christmas since 1981
Mortgage 85,415 Car Loan 6000Paid Sealed Savings Jar ?
Closed Thread