IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
An electric or oil Aga???
Views: 37,925
# 1
jascilmil
Old 13-05-2008, 4:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default An electric or oil Aga???

Would love to have an Aga/Rayburn in my new kitchen but even if our initial budget would stretch to it not sure if we could afford to run one.

Does anyone have an electric aga and do you have any idea of how much it costs to run? I appreciate that they are more expensive initially but by the time you buy the flu, twice anually services etc for the oil aga there probably isn't much in it.

Our other alternative is an lpg aga...any info would be great...?!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Bungarm2001
Old 13-05-2008, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had an oil Aga a few years back, and it was wonderful...I really really miss it. It wasn't that expensive to run as I had an oil boiler in addition. The Aga simply did the cooking. Of course, the cost of the oil was much less then. You should be able to get a breakdown of costs from a local Aga supplier..it might help you make your mind up.
# 3
bryanb
Old 13-05-2008, 7:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

An electric Aga is simply a storage heater, It's OK if you already use economy 7 elec. They are good to cook on but you can't turn them off if the kitchen gets too hot. Running costs around the same as oil (assuming E7) if you include everything. Recent oil price hikes may have changed things, but elec has hiked as well.
This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
# 4
moonrakerz
Old 13-05-2008, 8:56 PM

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3721176.ece
The Following User Says Thank You to moonrakerz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
OddjobKIA
Old 13-05-2008, 10:45 PM

simple

if you get a gravity fed oil aga then it will work when there is a power-cut..

an electric one wont..
THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
The Following User Says Thank You to OddjobKIA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
baby-mechanic
Old 14-05-2008, 11:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do Rayburns use less fuel ?

Just a thought, as we had a Rayburn, as it fitted our kitchen better than it's bigger brother, Aga.
Baby-Mechanic

The only reason I keep smiling is so that people wonder what I've been up to !!
# 7
jascilmil
Old 14-05-2008, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for your help guys!

We don't actually have any particular fuel at present as this is a self-build project. So I suppose effectively we could have an LPG aga?! Unfortunately mains gas isn't an option.

Good point about a power cut...somehow it doesn't seem right running it on electric, however the electric aga does come with what they call AIMS technology which means you can turn it down at night or when you are away etc.
# 8
calleyw
Old 14-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Have you had a look here

That is the aga's own website.

It tells you what the average usage is.
An 3 oven electric one with out water heating is 250KWH per week

Yours

Calley
# 9
katieowl
Old 14-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have a look at http://www.tradcookers.com/

I've got a gas Aga that I estimate is costing about 50-60 a month to run, and after yet another run in with E-on over the enourmousness of my bill, we've come to the conclusioin that we just have to turn it off for the summer. I have an electric back up for the water, and can use the gas barbie and a camping stove, plus the micro, slow cooker, and deep fat fryer for cooking (albiet not very healthily!) The kitchen gets too hot in the summer anyway, and the room above (my bedroom) gets very hot fro m the rising heat too!

We are trying to move at the moment, and the places we are looking at all have oil fired aga's or rayburns (a tank of oil costs 500 and lasts about four/five months....over winter) the guy above - trad cookers, has a gadget he reckons cuts the cost of running an oil range considerably, so you might be interested.

Last edited by katieowl; 14-05-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Postsing
The Following User Says Thank You to katieowl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
jascilmil
Old 14-05-2008, 5:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

ok so say it looks like an aga is going to prove to costly to run. Does anyone have an experience of the Esse W25 cooker (as referred to in the Times article recently - thanks moonrakerz). Looks like a good alternative especially since we have access to wood on the farm. We could also utilise it's heat for some of the central heating and hot water if we put in something like a thermal store along with possibly solar backed up by oil?! (we are about to start building a house you see...)
# 11
benood
Old 14-05-2008, 8:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

oil Esses used to be very noisy - whereas Aga's are quiet. Quiet a bit of chat about esses here: http://www.countryliving.co.uk/index...16?startnum=81

We used to have an aga just for cooking and I've heard tales of problems when you try to do multiple jobs - they can lose heat at irritating moments.

Last edited by benood; 14-05-2008 at 8:09 PM.
# 12
Badger2
Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Badger2

It seems to me that an electric Aga alongside Solar Power is a smart way to go although it can only realistically supplement the power utility and reduce costs. The price of oil can only go one way.
# 13
muckybutt
Old 06-07-2011, 7:04 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned wood burning Aga's ???
You can click the Thanks button if you want
The Following User Says Thank You to muckybutt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Owain Moneysaver
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 PM

You can get Agas that are conventional cookers eg and don't use stored heat.
# 15
brig001
Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I suspect (but don't know) that anything like an Aga would be a nightmare in a new house - especially self build. I assume that you will be building to building regs regarding insulation etc. and preferably beyond - it is cheap and easy to add insulation when you are building. I would imagine that the heat from an Aga would make the kitchen too hot even in winter and unbearable in summer.
HTH,
Brian.
# 16
d3plot
Old 10-03-2012, 8:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Oil consumption figures for oil-fired Aga

We have an oil-fired 4 door Aga with water heating (OEB 90 in Aga speak). We have a 210 litre hot water tank.

Aga quote its consumption as about 70 litres / week, and that's about right taken as an average over the year if you run it as it is intended to be run.

Being reasonably modern (installed in 1997) the burner is thermostatically controlled with two settings: "high fire", which means blazing away, and "low fire", which means ticking over.

Under the normal Aga system the thermostat swaps between the two settings, and it probably spends about 50% of the time on each. Although obviously it is to some extent driven by the demand you place on it, ie cooking and using hot water, this high/low switching cycle holds true 24 hours a day.

The thermostatic controls are electric, so we have fitted a timer (5 from Tesco) that turns off the mains between 10pm and 5:30am, meaning that it is on low fire for the full overnight period. This means that its heat drops off overnight, and it has to run on high fire for an extended period when it wakes up at 5:30am in the morning but, by and large, it is up to temperature in time for breakfast.

This has reduced the oil consumption from 70 litres / week to about 55 litres / week, these figures being based on several years worth of consumption, so if your oil-fired Aga has:

+ electrically driven thermostatic controls

and (this is crucial)

+ a good flue

I would recommend this approach.

If you have problems with flues, or your Aga's burner gums up easily, then don't even think about it!

So to return to the original question, "which is better: oil or electric", I hope these figures help.

Oil is still expensive, around 60p/litre at the time of writing in March 2012, so our Aga uses over 30 worth a week. But on the other hand it cooks everything, provides all our hot water and also heats about 1/3rd of the house.

From what I can make out there are two electric Aga alternatives:

(1) Night storage. People I know who have one, that doesn't heat water, give a cost of about 30+/week.

(2) Turned on when needed electric cooker. Obviously the cost depends on how much you use it. It seems to me to be a fantastically expensive solution for what is really just an electric cooker ...

Certainly in this old Devon farmhouse having a constant source of heat through the winter months keeps it dry and makes the kitchen a warm and welcoming place. Boy do we notice when it is turned off for servicing!

(On that note running on low fire at night will increase slightly the rate at which the burner gums up. Prior to doing this our Aga would do about 10 - 11 months before conking out, now it is about 8 - 9 months. A service is about 75, which needs to be added to the running cost, unless you do it yourself - it's an easy but messy job.)

There is another way of looking at the costs, and that is to consider and price the energy content of the fuel.

Aga oil is called 28 second kerosene and it contains about 10 kWh of energy per litre. An electrical "unit" is 1kWh, so a litre of kerosene produces the same amount of heat as 10 units of electricity.

At today's prices of ~60p/litre that means 1 unit of heat from oil costs about 6p. For comparison electricity is currently in the range 10p to 12p during the day, and 5p to 6p overnight if you have a white meter.

This explains why the "night storage heater" Aga costs more or less the same to run as an oil fired one.

I see the original thread was 2008, and it's now 2012, but I hope this helps anyone who has come across the original question.
The Following User Says Thank You to d3plot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Russe11
Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

last kitchen I worked on, the "aga" part was best part of 12k, i'm sure there not all that expensive, but i'd of thought the running cost are fairly trivial compared to the initial outlay for somthing that heats be in the house or food.
# 18
Hintza
Old 11-03-2012, 9:46 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The Boss has been desperate for an Aga for years and when our wee cottage was costing a fortune to run on oil (no gas) it took a lot of persuassion and a GSHP plus UFH to persuade her that as we got older the cost would become very prohibative.

Wehave been in the new build a couple of months now, the house is lovely and warm and we opted for the Rangemaster Classic 110 induction, it is fantastic (and looks OK too from an Aga perspective)

If you are still set on an Aga type have a look at these (still not cheap)

http://everhot.co.uk/
We've had to remove your signature. If you're unsure as to why, please refer to the Forum rules. You can contact forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com if you're still unsure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hintza For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Want2makeitstretchfurther
Old 29-11-2012, 7:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We have just got a grant for central heating which is great but I have been told today that our rayburn will have to be decommissioned as it also heats the hot water which the new combi boiler will do, we LOVE our rayburn and it certainly keeps the kitchen of the farmhouse lovely and cosy, whereas in other rooms we have to wear dressing gowns over our clothes to stay warm! I am looking at electric agas or changing to a cooking only aga/rayburn, has anyone here cooked on an electric aga as Im wondering how it 'feels' and performs regarding cooking. Thanks

Ps my rayburn is astronomical to run approaching 50 a week, but its the only cooker/heating hot water we have!

Last edited by Want2makeitstretchfurther; 29-11-2012 at 7:42 PM. Reason: To add more
# 20
MX5huggy
Old 29-11-2012, 8:53 PM

I am sure you can take out the pipes and fix controls so they are off for hot water forever. Then keep using your Rayburn as a cooker only.