Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Calling 0844 & 0871 numbers via three mobile (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Calling 0844 & 0871 numbers via three mobile
Closed Thread
Views: 62,950
# 1
hillendale
Old 12-05-2008, 8:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Calling 0844 & 0871 numbers via three mobile

Is it possible to make calls to 0844 & 0871 numbers from a Three mobile phone ( pay as you go ) or do they block these numbers ,if it is possible does anyone know what the cost per minute .
The reason i need to call these number is that they are access numbers for calling french landlines & mobiles .
Many thanks if you can advise .
# 2
agsnu
Old 12-05-2008, 8:43 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

General prices are here: http://www.three.co.uk/customer/link...=1089021441077

They may block or charge differently specific "access numbers" to avoid people attempting to circumvent their actual price structure.
# 3
Alchem
Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down 3G do charge for 0844

Hi Hillendale,
I wish I'd checked on the forums before using an 0844 access number. I have a monthly contract with 3G and call a friend in the US daily. I did a little bit of reading up before and was encouraged by the assertion that inclusive monthly minutes go towards these calls. However agsnu is right, 3G (at least) charge for any call starting with 08 though other mobile providers may be different. Oh well....my own fault for not checking but I now have a £156 phone bill.
# 4
Alchem
Old 10-06-2008, 12:35 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

forgot to say I also have a pay as you go with 3 and using the 0844 was no problem.
# 5
redux
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

3 have an International Saver add-on costing £15 a month which would have allowed you make up to 3000 minutes a month of calls to USA and about 20 other countries

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/prod...gintlsaver.omp
# 6
d123
Old 10-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
3G (at least) charge for any call starting with 08 though other mobile providers may be different. Oh well....my own fault for not checking but I now have a £156 phone bill.
Just to clarify, 3G is a technology, not a company.

All of the UK networks utilise 3G, I think you are probably referring to the network called Hutchison 3G UK, more commonly known as 3 or 3UK.

And, in fact, all UK networks charge for 08xx calls outside of allowances on all current price plans.

==
==
# 7
billsavings
Old 10-06-2008, 3:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123 View Post
And, in fact, all UK networks charge for 08xx calls outside of allowances on all current price plans.
I dont think their is a network that allows you to call 08 numbers out of your allowances/inclusive minutes,unless you know different.
# 8
d123
Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsavings View Post
I dont think their is a network that allows you to call 08 numbers out of your allowances/inclusive minutes,unless you know different.
No, I agree with you. Perhaps I wasn't totally clear, I was trying to say all the networks charge for 08xx and they are not considered as part of any call allowance.

==
==
# 9
Heng Leng
Old 10-06-2008, 4:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillendale View Post
Is it possible to make calls to 0844 & 0871 numbers from a Three mobile phone ( pay as you go ) or do they block these numbers ,if it is possible does anyone know what the cost per minute .
The reason i need to call these number is that they are access numbers for calling french landlines & mobiles .
Many thanks if you can advise .
10p per minute in the 3G area, 15p per minute in the 2G area (orange)

Remember 3 charge the same rate for all these calls, so there is no point using a cheaper number than 0871
# 10
rash.m2k
Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Unless ofcourse you use saynoto0870 to find 0870 alternatives. That way it will come out of your minutes and not charge you.
Press the THANKS button - you know you want to!
# 11
redux
Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

There's no point in looking for alternatives for 0844 and 0871 callthrough numbers, which is what is wanted here.

For modest use of int'l calls, use something like a 18185 or Voipcheap or Justvoip account, where the ordinary landline access number comes from inclusive minutes. For loads of calls to landlines, 3's International Saver option as I already suggested
# 12
Alchem
Old 12-06-2008, 6:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Thank You to Redux

Thanx Redux for the information on 3's international calls package. I'll definitely be looking it over. Also thanx to d123 for the correction :-].
Closed Thread