Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    manfromouterspace
    Buying a diamond engagement ring from Birmingham Jewellery Quarter
    • 4th May 08, 2:54 PM
    Buying a diamond engagement ring from Birmingham Jewellery Quarter 4th May 08 at 2:54 PM
    Firstly Ive had to create a new id as my wonderful OH uses this site and hopefully she now wont suspect anything.

After deciding to take the plunge and propose I read all the threads on here about buying an engagement ring and decided to check out the jewellery quarter in Brum. We arent exactly local but its not hard for us to get there.

From knowing a bit about OH's preferences and tastes, I knew I was looking for a solitaire diamond ring with a platinum band and a claw setting.

I found a lovely jewellers in the quarter who would create the exact ring I wanted from my own design and they even made a wax replica of what the ring would look like so I could confirm it was exactly what i wanted. And it was - it was perfect!!

Then the problem of picking a stone came. She has quite petite fingers so a huge rock will look out of place. I think something between 0.75 and 1 carat would be perfect. In terms of the other C's, I was more flexible but wanted a good quality stone.

The jeweller suggested a 0.73 carat, D colour, very good cut, SI diamond with certificates which looked lovely.

I asked about a price for that diamond in the platinum band and he said around £3k but if I liked it a price could be agreed. I said I needed some time to think about it and left it at that.

I have two questions which Im hoping someone can help with:

1. I understand that there are different places that do diamond cert's. This one is ICI (I think) . Is that good, bad or does it not really matter who does the cert?

2. How much discount should I expect to get when he says a price can be agreed? How much should I be looking to pay for that stone in that setting?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Page 2
  • jb007uk
    Re : Jewellery Quarter Birmingham Engagement Rings
    Make sure you do your home work if buying your Jewellery from Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter as all shops are not equal. Do your research first.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • GemLnjewelers
    Buyed a Affordable Engagement Rings
    I bought diamond engagement rings from a online store namely gemln.com/cat-rings/engagement-rings past month ago.
    the prices were really fantastic and there are variety of beautiful wedding rings to choose from.
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 8th Oct 12, 11:52 AM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    I know it might not be an option but as you as planning on spending so much money why not give her a "token ring" when you propose and go and choose the real thing together. Would it not make more sense to do it this way and know that she is 100% happy with something she will hopefully have for a lifetime?
    Originally posted by shopndrop
    It's very personal, isn't it.

My wife wouldn't have been 100% happy with the proposal if I didn't have the ring....
  • surrytom
    Is the JQ worth visiting on my budget?
    Hi

I was going to take my girlfriend to the JQ to choose her engagment ring.
    Thing is the budgets only £350.is it worth going their or should I stick to the high street?

Thanks.
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 8th May 13, 11:48 AM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    Hi

I was going to take my girlfriend to the JQ to choose her engagment ring.
    Thing is the budgets only £350.is it worth going their or should I stick to the high street?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by surrytom
    I imagine you'll still get a little better VFM at the JQ - but I guess it depends on how much hassle/expense it takes you to get there and back...
    • GrecianPrincess
    • By GrecianPrincess 8th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GrecianPrincess
    Our Engagement
    My partner initially went to the jewellery quarter alone and chose the most perfect ring in the world, for me - I'm sure everyone's is just as perfect for them. He had to take me in one week before our surprise holiday [Where my amazing man proposed] for final exact ring sizing. He had chosen a 1.75ct centre stone, along with a platinum 0.4ct pav! setting. They had quoted him initially £13,500, which he managed to bring them down to £10,000. Although when I went in and looked at the GIA certificate, I was able to bring them down to £8150. As when looking at the certificate, there were more natural indentations to the corner of the centre stone - than had been initially explained to my fianc!. There was also a small cavity, which if the ring touches anything dirty - the dirt is near on impossible to remove. Our ring was Colour F and VS1, it glistens and sparkles. I am so happy and so very pleased at just how well my fianc! knows me.
    Though, as a word of warning - most men know very little about diamonds and flaws that weaken the integrity of the diamond, so never make a decision there and there. And always check the date of which the certificate was created, as this will show you how long they have had that diamond, if it has been many years - there is always a reason. The Jewellery Quarter - in Birmingham, has so many diamond establishments and they all use the same or at least one manufacturer. So if you see one ring you love, though the price is too high - the ring can be obtained from another establishment at a better price. Careful though, some of these so called professional stores - work in a hard sale environment and try and push to not look around and buy there and then. They seem to try and hide imperfections and make sure that their store lighting, makes the diamond look a lot better than truly is.
    To anyone reading this, we definitely recommend the jewellery quarter, though be prepared for a long day - as there are so many stores that compete for your business. Always ask lots of questions and congratulations on your engagement...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jul 17, 8:25 AM
    • 17,674 Posts
    • 44,998 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My partner initially went to the jewellery quarter alone and chose the most perfect ring in the world, for me - I'm sure everyone's is just as perfect for them. He had to take me in one week before our surprise holiday [Where my amazing man proposed] for final exact ring sizing. He had chosen a 1.75ct centre stone, along with a platinum 0.4ct pav! setting. They had quoted him initially £13,500, which he managed to bring them down to £10,000. Although when I went in and looked at the GIA certificate, I was able to bring them down to £8150. As when looking at the certificate, there were more natural indentations to the corner of the centre stone - than had been initially explained to my fianc!. There was also a small cavity, which if the ring touches anything dirty - the dirt is near on impossible to remove. Our ring was Colour F and VS1, it glistens and sparkles. I am so happy and so very pleased at just how well my fianc! knows me.
    Though, as a word of warning - most men know very little about diamonds and flaws that weaken the integrity of the diamond, so never make a decision there and there. And always check the date of which the certificate was created, as this will show you how long they have had that diamond, if it has been many years - there is always a reason. The Jewellery Quarter - in Birmingham, has so many diamond establishments and they all use the same or at least one manufacturer. So if you see one ring you love, though the price is too high - the ring can be obtained from another establishment at a better price. Careful though, some of these so called professional stores - work in a hard sale environment and try and push to not look around and buy there and then. They seem to try and hide imperfections and make sure that their store lighting, makes the diamond look a lot better than truly is.
    To anyone reading this, we definitely recommend the jewellery quarter, though be prepared for a long day - as there are so many stores that compete for your business. Always ask lots of questions and congratulations on your engagement...
    Originally posted by GrecianPrincess
    Just to point out that you've posted on a thread that was started over 9 years ago and the last person to post on it who was planning to buy an engagement ring did so 4 years ago so congratulations are a little bit late.

Welcome to MSE.
    It's probably a good idea to check the age of the thread before you post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,310Posts Today

8,220Users online

Martin's Twitter