IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
party warning to neighbours?
Views: 26,376
# 1
maria08k
Old 01-05-2008, 1:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default party warning to neighbours?

Hello,
My partner and i are having a little party for my birthday. There will be about 20 of us ranging from the ages 21-26. Can anyone advice me on a letter/note i could put through our neighbours letter boxes to warn them about the party/noise.
We are not a rowdy group of people but there will be music playing and people will be outside in the garden.

Many Thanks
2008 Total: 3232.46!!
Jan 09: 289.95Feb:39.99 March: 274.99 April: Guinot travel set 50,Liz Earle Hot Polish 12.50,Bamboo socks 13,Hoppop changing bag 55,Um Bongo juice & T.shirt 54.99,Confessions Of A Shopaholic Book 5.50 May: Nothing June: Premiere tickets to Public Enemies, Betterware cleaning kit
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Aviva company representative
Old 01-05-2008, 2:10 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
MoneySaving Stalwart

could you just say we wanted to let you know that we'll be having a gathering on such and such a day we hope not to be a bother and if you are free why not pop round for a drink?
or something?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aviva company representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
paula65
Old 01-05-2008, 2:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We usually invite our neighbours either side so we can be as noisey as we like
The Following User Says Thank You to paula65 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
cowbutt
Old 01-05-2008, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As someone who's often been disturbed by noisy neighbours and late parties, this is the kind of note I'd like to receive:

"Hi -

We're having a party on Saturday. We appreciate that you have the right to enjoy your home too, and so the music will stop and we'll move indoors by xxPM and we'll do our best to make sure our guests leave quietly. If this causes you any difficulty, please pop round to talk about it. If there are any problems on the night, please call us on 0xxx xxx xxxx.

[Optionally: We'd also like to invite you along, if you'd like to attend]

Your neighbours
maria08k and DP"

Obviously, having given those assurances, you'll be expected to live upto them! :-)

As for a suggested stop time, 9PM shouldn't cause anyone too many problems, 11PM should be OK for most on a Friday/Saturday, much after that and it's at your neighbours' discretion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cowbutt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
pavlovs_dog
Old 01-05-2008, 2:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Dear Neighbours,

just to let you know that we will be having a party on X date from Xpm to celebrate my birthday. we're not planning a rowdy event, but we realise that noise does travel. We appreciate that people value their peace and quiet, so if you do thinking we're being too loud, please knock and tell us, or you can give us a ring on (phone number) and we'll quieten things down.

if you'd like to, you're more than welcome to pop in and join us for a drink on the night.

mr and mrs maria at number 22
know thyself

MFW 2014 # 46 - 2000/2,000 (100%)
MFiT T3 #29 106k by 2015

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
The Following User Says Thank You to pavlovs_dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
maria08k
Old 01-05-2008, 2:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thankyou all for you help
Jan 09: 289.95Feb:39.99 March: 274.99 April: Guinot travel set 50,Liz Earle Hot Polish 12.50,Bamboo socks 13,Hoppop changing bag 55,Um Bongo juice & T.shirt 54.99,Confessions Of A Shopaholic Book 5.50 May: Nothing June: Premiere tickets to Public Enemies, Betterware cleaning kit
# 7
JimmyTheWig
Old 01-05-2008, 2:46 PM

How long have you lived there? Do you know your neighbours? Do you get on? Do you (will you) have lots of parties, or is this a one-off?

I think it would be good to warn them. Would be better to invite them.

When I had a housewarming (obviously only a couple of weeks after moving in) I put a note through the door either side to warn them and invite them - but also to tell them that it wouldn't be a regular occurence. One side came and brought a bottle of wine with a "welcome to the street" card on it - was really chuffed.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyTheWig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
JimmyTheWig
Old 01-05-2008, 2:47 PM

P.S. I like the idea of giving the neighbours an idea of times, but if you do you must really try to stick to them...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimmyTheWig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
cowbutt
Old 01-05-2008, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheWig View Post
P.S. I like the idea of giving the neighbours an idea of times, but if you do you must really try to stick to them...
Yup; if I know when a loud party is going to end, I can usually manage to stay up until it finishes. But otherwise, I have to assume it's going to be an allnighter until 6am or so, and end up tossing and turning in bed for most of the night and trying to sleep using earplugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to cowbutt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
maria08k
Old 01-05-2008, 4:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We have only been there since the beginning of Jan, We exchange hello's but thats about it really. It's never going to be a regular thing, but obviously want to warn them as both sides have young children.
I have written out a letter to both side, with times etc, and have asked them if they would like to pop round for a drink too. I have put the times until 11:00pm but know we will be will out but around 10:30pm. Thankyou for all your advice.
# 11
Toonie
Old 05-05-2008, 8:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When my partner and I had a party a few weeks ago we decided we would go round to our neighbours, talk to those on our level and the person directly below us and then drop notes into the others in the flats, we also made sure that things chilled out around 11pm and the music was off by midnight as we have families all around us.
# 12
The Good Fairy
Old 05-05-2008, 9:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We live on a street that is mostly old people or young familes, apart from next door but one, that house is rented to students. This current lot love staying out in the garden all night and coming back from the pub and lighting bonfires :confused: I find myself unable to sleep when I know they will go to bed and leave the fire going.

So I just wanted to say thanks to all you people who are being nice to your neighbours and giving yourselves and them a cut-off point. It's nice to know there are still some good young people out there
"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."- Samuel Butler