IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
New Skype All Inclusive Packages
Closed Thread
Views: 6,897
# 1
MSE Archna
Old 29-04-2008, 5:40 PM
Senior Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default New Skype All Inclusive Packages

What's the deal?

Skype, the internet telephony provider has launched some very competitive all inclusive call packages. These allow you to make calls using your computer to someone on a normal phone line. These are especially good for people who make lots of daytime or international calls.

New to Internet Telephony

You can read a full guide to how it works and what software you need in the full Voip: Completely Free Calls Via The Web Guide.

All you need is to sign up for an account, download the software and grab either a headset or a cheap internet phone. Even better is, you don't need to tie yourself into to any hefty contracts. Pay month by month as and when you need it.

The Packages

To see how these compare read the detailed Cheap Home Phone guide (note this will soon be updated with all these tariffs in there)
  • High daytime caller, Unlimited Country, £2.24. Sign up to the Unlimited Country package, opt for the UK and you can get unlimited calls to UK landlines. If you make more than 12 daytime calls per week, this is a good option. This is less than half the price of the cheapest normal phone equivalent.
  • High EU caller, Unlimited Europe, £3.39. Get the Unlimited Europe package for £3.39 and you get inclusive calls to 20 EU countries.
  • High international caller, Unlimited World, £7.99. If you call any of the following countries as well as the 20 EU ones above Unlimited World is the one to opt for. Australia, China, Guam, Republic of Korea, Puerto Rico, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan and the USA. For example make more than 6x30 minute calls per month to an expensive destination like Chile and you're quids in.
Three for the price of two months

Even better until 1 June get three months for the price of two, meaning you're paying an average of £1.49 for Unlimited Country, £2.26 for Unlimited Europe or £5.33 for Unlimited World making it almost unbeatable.

Any other good Voip packages?

Skype has really shaken up the market with these offers. Similar providers such as Tesco internet phone and Vonage are charging around £5 for similar unlimited UK calls packages.

Though if you spot any other good offers, please click reply and post them below.

PS There are a number of threads on the forum discussing this alread, thanks to all the posters who have pointed it out.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Archna; 30-04-2008 at 12:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Archna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
blanik
Old 30-04-2008, 6:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Vonage not unlimited

Hi, if you have a look at Vonage T&C http://www.vonage.co.uk/uk-fair-use-policy/ from the 14th April 2008 their unlimited packages only includes 2,000 minutes of free calls to UK & international numbers per month. So the Skype deal looks even better with 10,000 minutes cap.

Last edited by blanik; 30-04-2008 at 6:43 AM.
# 3
tbird1
Old 30-04-2008, 8:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Can you use your existing telephone number with Skype to receive in-coming calls ?
# 4
londonclanger
Old 30-04-2008, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Inbound Skype calls

You'll need an online number (also called SkypeIn number) to receive calls on Skype. You get between one and three numbers included depending on which new subscription you purchase or you can buy it separately - http://www.skype.com/go/onlinenumber . Simply set it up and you can receive calls on Skype wherever you are in the world (and the people calling you are making just a local call if your online number is in the same country as them).
# 5
JEFF1964
Old 30-04-2008, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default New Skype All Inclusive Packages

Can somebody help

I have been onto skype website.

Where do i find out more about the above

Thanks
# 6
Bertie Cheapskate
Old 30-04-2008, 12:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Skype's support is rubbish

You can barely talk to people when you have a problem, its all "use the forums online" if you want help and problems with retaining and transferring SkypeIn numbers (so people can call you) are rife and unresolvable. Skype is thoroughly unsuitable for small business no matter what they say. There is no real switchboarding and the call forwarding is so slow people hang up.

If you are IT literate you will survive and prosper with this offering regardless - as long as you don't make the mistake of tying yourself to an incoming number by e.g. giving it out to everyone as your main phone contact.

If you ar less tech savvy or a busienss avoid like the plague.

And yes I am still a happy Skype customer. It does what it does. The mistake is in over large expectations. If you need customer service or number ownership seek elsewhere and pay a bit more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertie Cheapskate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
londonclanger
Old 30-04-2008, 12:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Talking Skype's new Subscriptions

Available from http://www.skype.com/go/subscriptions
# 8
moorhen
Old 30-04-2008, 7:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird1 View Post
Can you use your existing telephone number with Skype to receive in-coming calls ?
Yes: we have a cordless "dualphone" (that's the brand) which receives normal incoming calls on our BT numbers, and skype incoming calls (when signed in to skype). Different ring tones for each.

When making a call you can choose whether to make the outgoing call via skype or BT (yes we're still on BT ... for now) which is really great.

I'd recommend the model, but it's probably been superceded by now as we've had it a while. But these types of phone definitely exist!
The Following User Says Thank You to moorhen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
davidsuffolk
Old 30-04-2008, 8:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Bye Bye BT........at last!

For years I've wanted to dump BT as I really hated the standing charge they levied. My phone useage is low at around 20 per month and most of that was the standing charge. I've used Skype for quite a while as my wife is Chinese and we bought a Hong Kong "Skype In" number as calls within HK are free so all her friends can call the Skype number at no cost to themselves.

Now Skype have brought out their UK package I've added a local number (well fairly local as there are only about 20 STD codes to chose between) and subscribed for 12 months for around 20.

My phone is one of the new Phillips VOIP8411B/05 which don't need the pc to be on and, as my broadband is wireless, I have a phone that works all the time, is free to use and doesn't need BT at all.

It's all come together nicely and hopefully will save me around 250 per year.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidsuffolk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mbirkman
Old 30-04-2008, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Euvox is better than Skype in my opinion

Euphony launched its own VOIP product - euvox - earlier this year. It is on a USB stick so is fully portable and its sound quality is superior compared to Skype. Its top package costs 8.99 per month but this gets you unlimited calls to landlines in 40 countries. It is also much cheaper to call UK mobiles - approx 8p per min compared to Skype's 16p per min. There is a support team available on a landline tel. no. to answer all queries and having dealt with them they are very helpful.
# 11
montylikesbirdies
Old 01-05-2008, 11:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello,

Does anyone have a contact email for Skype? I have scoured their website to see if Cyprus is included in the European package, does anyone here know?

Thanks

Montyx
# 12
londonclanger
Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Re: Cyprus

Unfortunately Cyprus is not covered in either the 20 European or 34 World subscriptions.

You can see the countries covered on the webpage here - http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/allf...?region=europe
# 13
londonclanger
Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool Re: euVOX

You can run Skype off a USB geek whistle as well - it's bundled on my ScanDisk Cruiser - so I can plug it in and run it from there. Sound quality is as much to do with your service provider as it is to do with the software.

Skype's prices look unbeatable really. Also, I checked the mobile rates on the euVox site and got this, a few lower than Skype, some higher (larger figure is VAT inclusive):

-UK-Mobile-3G20.0823.59 -UK-Mobile-BT15.4818.19 -UK-Mobile-T-MOBILE9.0510.63 -UK-Mobile-O28.7110.23 -UK-Mobile-Orange8.8210.36 -UK-Mobile-PNS20.0823.59 -UK-Mobile-Vodafone8.8210.36
Skype support isn't great that's for sure.

All-in-all euVox looks a tad more complicated to Skype's simple download, install and call model. Looks like you have to get the USB softphone (the USB thing) off them directly.

Also, Skype's subscriptions have an online number and Skype To Go number included on many of the subscriptions so you appear to get more for your money..
The Following User Says Thank You to londonclanger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
DJFearRoss
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

My brother just asked me to setup Skype for my mum at home (UK), he's in the USA and calls home using skype alot but it's costing him quite a bit still. My mum's not too technical on computers.

What's the best way to set this up? Some people mentioned above a dual phone which sounds great!

Does this mean I just go and buy a dual phone, plug it in and job done?
(She's has wireless broadband if that helps)
# 15
marcin007
Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Don't forget that you also get a skype-in number, voicemail and skype go for free with any subscrition!
Skype Go is with international callings as it gives you special access number, beginning with 01 - landline number, that you can call from your mobile and then just enter destination number and done! you only pay for the landline minutes which are always included in free allowance
The Following User Says Thank You to marcin007 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread