Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > connecting sky, VCR & DVD to TV ??? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
connecting sky, VCR & DVD to TV ???
Closed Thread
Views: 25,544
# 1
sunflower
Old 05-09-2005, 9:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Red face connecting sky, VCR & DVD to TV ???

HELP !!!

I had it all set up before but just got a new TV and havent a clue

here goes, I have:

tv with 2 scart sockets
normal Sky digibox with 2 scart sockets
video with 2 scart sockets
dvd with at least one scart socket

and about 56 scart leads !!!

everything also has a socket for just the red and yellow pin lead thingys (sorry am not very technical)

with old tv i linked the sky, VCR and TV through scarts and used the red and yellow pin things for the DVD

i would like to be able to record both from sky and terrestrial
but even just from sky would be fab

PLEASE can anyone give me any ideas before i tear my hair out??
# 2
gizmoleeds
Old 05-09-2005, 9:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You should be able to connect the video to the TV just through the aerial loop-through (just tune it in like a TV channel - play a video while you tune it so you know when you find the correct signal). Then, connect Sky and the DVD to the TV with Scart leads and use a third scart to connect the VCR to the sky box.

Or, you can connect the DVD to the TV by the red, yellow and white leads (RCA) and then connect the VCR and sky both to the TV by scart and sky to the VCR by scart.

Plus, the TV aerial should be connected to sky, an RF (aerial-like cable) from sky to the VCR and another RF from the VCR to the TV.
The Following User Says Thank You to gizmoleeds For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
amd
Old 05-09-2005, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, funnily enough my mum had a guy round today to fix up her new satellite dish (on top of cable, video and dvd!)

This is what they did:

DVD - scart to TV
Video - scart to TV
Satellite - scart to Video (don't know if there's a scart in/scart out on the Video you'll have to check)
Cable - 'coax in' lead to Video

Hope that gives you a bit of a start! I was as puzzled as you - only 2 scarts on TV. Didn't know you could scart into the Video too. You can then tape from either incoming signal.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
(Spike Milligan)

The Following User Says Thank You to amd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
scheming_gypsy
Old 05-09-2005, 10:22 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

or

tv scart 1 = sky
tv scart 2 = dvd
sky scart 1 = video.

should work i think
The Following User Says Thank You to scheming_gypsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
smcicr
Old 05-09-2005, 11:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

daisy chain the sky and the video

TV scart1 -> SKY -> Video
TV scart2 -> DVD

and as gizmoleeds said with the aerial and RF cables

on my old telly i only had one scart socket and got Video, DVD and Sky all hooked in by just daisychaining the lot so it will work - it might just take a bit of tweaking to get the recording side as you want it. good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to smcicr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Curry Queen
Old 05-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Do any of the above work if you are only running your tv channels from the Sky box, i.e. no terrestrial aerial connected at all?

Same set-up - TV, DVD, Sky, VCR but need to be able to record from Sky on the VCR.
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

# 7
scheming_gypsy
Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 PM
PPR

or you could get sky plus and sod the video.
# 8
fgaughan
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to fgaughan Send a message via MSN to fgaughan Send a message via Yahoo to fgaughan Send a message via Skype™ to fgaughan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheming_gypsy
or you could get sky plus and sod the video.
Or if your technically minded get Mythtv http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

Then you can sod the sky+ Freeview DVD player video cd-Hifi player DAB radio player and you can surf the internet with it :-)
While I breathe.... I hope
# 9
gizmoleeds
Old 06-09-2005, 4:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curry_Queen
Do any of the above work if you are only running your tv channels from the Sky box, i.e. no terrestrial aerial connected at all?

Same set-up - TV, DVD, Sky, VCR but need to be able to record from Sky on the VCR.
Remember, you can still link the Sky to the VCR and VCR to TV with an aerial lead (RF cable) even if there is no aerial linked to the boxes (you will probably even pick up a fuzzy picture just from the leads acting as aerials.

But, yes - they should all work without an aerial provided they don't require watching one of the devices through tuning in manually (and none except the first of my two suggestions would).
The Following User Says Thank You to gizmoleeds For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Curry Queen
Old 06-09-2005, 7:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoleeds
Remember, you can still link the Sky to the VCR and VCR to TV with an aerial lead (RF cable) even if there is no aerial linked to the boxes (you will probably even pick up a fuzzy picture just from the leads acting as aerials.

But, yes - they should all work without an aerial provided they don't require watching one of the devices through tuning in manually (and none except the first of my two suggestions would).
The TV has never been manually tuned into any of the terrestrial channels and the Sky is tuned into one of it's AV channels. The only problem is that it appears to be the same one that the VCR uses, so as soon as it's switched on it takes over the channel. The VCR has never been tuned in either as I have no aerial access to use and both units have been bought new since I moved in here.

I'll have a look later and see what's connected to what and check that it's done the way you suggest, thanks
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

# 11
sunflower
Old 06-09-2005, 8:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

thanks everyone

am going to try tonight to see which way works for me

the sky+ is defo on its way here, just saving the pennies to get it ;o)
in the meantime i have to make do with VHS!!!

thanks again

x
# 12
fgaughan
Old 07-09-2005, 9:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to fgaughan Send a message via MSN to fgaughan Send a message via Yahoo to fgaughan Send a message via Skype™ to fgaughan

Or get one of these
http://www.bluedelta.co.uk/phantom_plus.htm
Just highlight the program and press red button to record.
like a sky+ but using your Vhs recorder or dvd recorder :-)
While I breathe.... I hope
# 13
FESTER 61
Old 23-02-2007, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question bamboozled

I have an LCD TV one scart//a home cinema 2 scart/sky box 2 scart/PS2 1 SCART and a DVD recorder 2 scart. NO ANALOGUE ARIEL CONNECTED.

NEED TO CONNECT ALL OF THEM AND HOPEFULLY ALL WORK. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.
# 14
scheming_gypsy
Old 23-02-2007, 5:25 PM
PPR

sky into dvd recorder
dvd recorder to home cinema
home cinema into tv
PS2 into sky box.

Sky will pass everything through DVD recorder so you can record from Sky. Recorder goes into home cinema for the sound. Home cinema goes into the TV to transfer picture etc etc and the PS2 will play through it all and should put the sound through the home cinema as well...

think that'll work.
# 15
les972
Old 17-04-2010, 12:02 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default connecting multiple items

I hope someone of greater intelligence than me can help me out please.
I have Hitachi M830 VHS + JVC XV N33 DVD + Sky box DV 3 + JVC AV telly and Samsung 932 MV telly. All this equipment is in my front room with the Samsung in my kitchen. I used to be with Virgin and could connect the lot together so I could watch TV or DVD or video in either room but now that I have gone(temporary) with Sky I cannot view DVD or video in the kitchen. I have asked Sky and they tell me I don't have multi room subscription.
Can anyone explain how these things should be connected together please, I have scart leads, audio leads and an aerial splitter(at least I think that's what it is)
Thanks very much
leslie Howard
# 16
whmf00001
Old 20-11-2011, 9:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Question TV, Sky+ and Video

HI, have loads of videos to watch but cannot work out how to watch through new TV. It is a freeview TV, I have a Sky+ box AND an outside aerial. Cannot watch or record on video. Have 1 scart on TV, 1 scart on Sky box and 2 on Video. Loads of scart cables/multi scart connector boxes, even aerial leads. Do not need DVD as the TV has a built in one (and a USB recording slot !!!!!) Used to be able to do all this stuff but am older now and want it set up for grandson for Xmas.
Thanks, Wendy.
# 17
NeverAgain
Old 20-11-2011, 9:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Try this connection wizard:

http://www.richersounds.com/static/w...onnection.html
The Following User Says Thank You to NeverAgain For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
whmf00001
Old 20-11-2011, 12:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default TV, Sky+ and Video

Thanks Neveragain, I have been to the website and done the exercise, my problem is, the diagram shows 2 scart ports on Sky box and mine only has 1 (have had another look to check). I can watch the digital TV through my old outdoor aerial so can record 2 on Sky and watch freeview progs, its just that I want to watch my videos through my TV - I can on my bedroom freeview TV although have sound problems if I try to record (wonderful picture). Its all done to confuse oldies !!!!
# 19
NeverAgain
Old 20-11-2011, 1:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmf00001 View Post
Thanks Neveragain, I have been to the website and done the exercise, my problem is, the diagram shows 2 scart ports on Sky box and mine only has 1 (have had another look to check). I can watch the digital TV through my old outdoor aerial so can record 2 on Sky and watch freeview progs, its just that I want to watch my videos through my TV - I can on my bedroom freeview TV although have sound problems if I try to record (wonderful picture). Its all done to confuse oldies !!!!
A scart splitter plugged into your Sky box would do the job.

Scarts are near obsolete now, so the splitters are very cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Scart-Bo...795210&sr=1-12
# 20
scheming_gypsy
Old 20-11-2011, 3:00 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmf00001 View Post

Sky into video via scart and then video to TV via scart.
Closed Thread