Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Yuck - Maggots In The Bin Help!!! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Yuck - Maggots In The Bin Help!!!
Views: 45,155
# 1
fsdss
Old 03-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Unhappy Yuck - Maggots In The Bin Help!!!

we have 2 wheelie bins 1 for recycling waste and 1 for other non recycable (plus boxes for papers/ metal / bottles). our non recycle bin is literally crawling with maggots, and you can hear them from the outside rustling in the bags with its lid down!!! yuck yuck.

anyway how do i rid the bin of these, as the council will be collecting them late next week, i have cleaned the bin last time it was collected (9 days ago) with the power washer, and i dont suppose the heat has helped. everything in the bin has been bagged, but a fat lot of good that has done. can someone help me they are now crawling out of the bin onto my patio.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
SnowyOwl
Old 03-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I think I would be inclined to pour boiling water from the kettle onto them. If you don't think that would be enough water then fill a few saucepans with water, and boil them up and pour all of them into the bin in quick succession, ensuring each maggot gets a roasting.

Sorry, it's vile advice I know, but I don't think it is any worse than poison etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to SnowyOwl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
fsdss
Old 03-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

done this tonight it just seems to have attracted them to crawl out more. hopefully a flock of birds will feast on them tomorrow morning
# 4
grunnie
Old 04-09-2005, 9:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When your wheelie bin has been emptied no need to wash it out just sprinkle in 1 mug of SALT and that kills all the nasties and keeps it smelling sweet.
# 5
squeaky
Old 04-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Have you considered composting all your vegetable waste? And there are composter thingy's now that you bury part way into the garden so that you can compost meat wastes (Green Cone?) with no problems too.

Check your Local Council's website, look for recycling, because many now do great deals on compost bins in order to help avoid land fill.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
# 6
bluep
Old 04-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have you tried phoning the council, telling them that your bin wasn't emptied even though you put it out on the last collection date (or say, not emptied properly?) and that the remainign waste has led to a maggot problem that is now a health hazard. I did this when they didn't pick up my black bags one week and they came and collected it the same day!
# 7
fsdss
Old 04-09-2005, 4:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

in response to squeaky's thread - i do already compost the veg cuttings / tea bags anything really that can go on the compost heap, i would not realy consider burying meat as we have a fox problem round here and they just set off the dog in the middle of the night, who inturn starts the dog off next door... and so on....

no need to contact the council the bin is only collected fourtnightly, so they have not missed the collection, on the alternative week they collect the cardboard / glass / foil and aluminium, the only bin which has the problem has the household waste which cant be recycled..(and i do make a reasonably good effort to recycle) .anyway we think we know the source of the maggots.....hubby put in the bin a dead animal that he found in the garden with its head chewed off...more than likely the lovely fox........lovely glad i didn't see it.
# 8
gizmoleeds
Old 04-09-2005, 4:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've nothing helpful to add, just... uuuurgh. Really uuuurghh. Disgusing.
# 9
Stompa
Old 04-09-2005, 4:19 PM

Hmmm, I'm not looking forward to October when our bin collection changes from weekly to fortnightly!

Stompa
Stompa
# 10
squeaky
Old 04-09-2005, 5:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Tell hubby he can live in the bin with the next dead animal he throws in there!

So with luck this will just be a one off problem then? I'd be inclined just to leave the lid open now (unless the wind is blowing your way?) and let nature take its course. Maggots are remarkably effective at cleaning up stinky corpses given a chance.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
# 11
SnowyOwl
Old 04-09-2005, 5:52 PM

OMG this is so much worse than I understood from your first message! Bad hubbie for putting a carcass in the bin, I think his reward should be scrub and rinse the bin out after it has been emptied to ensure all eggs have been removed. (Then tell him about Grunnie's salt advice once he has finished.)

I'm sorry my earlier advice didn't work, I feel terrible that the water made the maggots all the more lively and did nothing to solve the problem. Poor you, this sounds like a stomach churning nightmare. Could you phone the council anyway and explain the problem - if you don't ask they definitely won't come and collect. Don't mention about the dead animal though, in case they are one of the councils who don't allow animal remains to be put in the household waste.

Sorry again for my duff advice.

# 12
purplegirluk1
Old 04-09-2005, 5:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We have been invaided by flys today from our bin, we too have the alternate collection weeks and our non-recycling bin is full to the brim this time round. I am fed up with flys round the cat food bowls and in the kitchen, its totally yucky! I don't go near enough to the bin to know if there are maggots in it but I flippin hope not.
# 13
Curry Queen
Old 04-09-2005, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdss
hubby put in the bin a dead animal that he found in the garden with its head chewed off...more than likely the lovely fox........lovely glad i didn't see it.
This will most definitely be your source of maggots and the dead animal would have been attacked by flies and the eggs laid before your hubby even discarded of it! In normal cases, you wouldn't get maggots in a wheelie bin, unless of course it was so full the lid won't close properly, so you can blame your hubby for your infestation

You'll need to kill them all off before they morph into flies themsleves and perpetuate the problem by laying more eggs
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

# 14
Murtle
Old 04-09-2005, 6:34 PM

Why wouldn't you normally get maggots in a bin? Just wondering as I've heard more and more people comlain of them since councils started fortnightly collections.

Curry_Queen fantastic to see you back lass

x x
# 15
Curry Queen
Old 04-09-2005, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtle
Why wouldn't you normally get maggots in a bin? Just wondering as I've heard more and more people comlain of them since councils started fortnightly collections.

Curry_Queen fantastic to see you back lass

x x
Thanks hun

Maggots only occur where flies (the big buzzy variety) have laid eggs, so if the bin lid is closed properly then flies can't get in, or at least shouldn't be able to

Of course there's always a chance one could fly in and get trapped while you've got the bin open
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

The Following User Says Thank You to Curry Queen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Murtle
Old 04-09-2005, 8:18 PM

hmmm must stop trapping them in the bin yuck - ickky things!!!
# 17
Kimberley
Old 04-09-2005, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtle
Just wondering as I've heard more and more people comlain of them since councils started fortnightly collections.
If councils are aware of these maggots then why don't they go back to weekly collections? I'm hoping our council don't go to fortnightly
Australia 2016
# 18
pug_in_a_bed
Old 04-09-2005, 8:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if you think thats bad...i;ve had them in the cupboard!
nightmares for months

uggh, i could barely bare to post that

# 19
SnowyOwl
Old 04-09-2005, 8:39 PM

They appeared in my cats' dish once. Ugh! Cats didn't seem to care though...

# 20
Kimberley
Old 04-09-2005, 8:58 PM

Yeah but stuff that creates live maggots would have to be there for days...
Australia 2016