Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Talk Talk new call charges (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Talk Talk new call charges
Closed Thread
Views: 3,806
# 1
ecclesto
Old 22-04-2008, 7:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Angry Talk Talk new call charges

Has anybody else had a letter saying Talk Talk evening calls are having a connection charge of 6p per call and then being charged at 1.4p per minute! Whatever happened to being able to talk for an hour for 5p.
# 2
Heinz
Old 22-04-2008, 7:48 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=839853
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
# 3
BexTech
Old 22-04-2008, 8:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

This is what happens when OFCOM relax the rules, one puts prices up they all follow.

Hopefully not everyone has gone for Line Rental with TalkTalk as you're a little stuffed otherwise.
It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
(OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
# 4
utilitybroker
Old 22-04-2008, 8:25 PM

If you have not moved your line rental to Talk Talk only your calls,you can avoid all evening and weekend geographical call charges by switching your calls to Primus Saver 2.

Have a read of Heinz post here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...74&postcount=4

Last edited by utilitybroker; 22-04-2008 at 8:27 PM.
# 5
ecclesto
Old 22-04-2008, 8:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have just got off the phone to Talk Talk and switched to their Talk 2 plan - 2.65 per month for free evening and weekend calls to land lines. I will take a look at this Primus site and perhaps change to them. Can I keep my land line number, I have my line rental with BT and calls with Talk Talk fortunately. If I went with Primus, would they sort out all the arrangements for transfer to them from Talk Talk.
# 6
Heinz
Old 22-04-2008, 8:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclesto View Post
I will take a look at this Primus site and perhaps change to them. Can I keep my land line number, I have my line rental with BT and calls with Talk Talk fortunately.
Yes, CPS (Carrier PreSelect) services are outgoing only - your line remains with BT and your incoming calls still arrive on BT.

The new CPS provider makes all the arrangements.
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
# 7
utilitybroker
Old 22-04-2008, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclesto View Post
I have just got off the phone to Talk Talk and switched to their Talk 2 plan - £2.65 per month for free evening and weekend calls to land lines. I will take a look at this Primus site and perhaps change to them. Can I keep my land line number, I have my line rental with BT and calls with Talk Talk fortunately. If I went with Primus, would they sort out all the arrangements for transfer to them from Talk Talk.
Yes you keep the same number, just contact Primus and they will arrange the transfer for you.To sign up to this package you need to call them on 0800 036 0094, you can’t sign up direct online though they bill via e-mail.

Last edited by utilitybroker; 22-04-2008 at 8:45 PM.
# 8
Joe65
Old 25-04-2008, 9:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default So much for deregulation

Yes, so much for deregulation.

20 years on & BT's still calling the shots while the rest shadow their every move - only now BT's intent on becoming as bad as all the rest.

Thanks a bunch Oftel/Ofcon.
# 9
normanmark
Old 25-04-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe65 View Post
Yes, so much for deregulation.

20 years on & BT's still calling the shots while the rest shadow their every move - only now BT's intent on becoming as bad as all the rest.

Thanks a bunch Oftel/Ofcon.
:confused:

This is about Talk Talks call charges. Could you highlight where BT has had a say/matter within this decision by Talk Talk?!
# 10
BexTech
Old 25-04-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanmark View Post
:confused:

This is about Talk Talks call charges. Could you highlight where BT has had a say/matter within this decision by Talk Talk?!
BT still own the copper wires.

TalkTalk and other Telcos have to pay BT for using their network.
It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
# 11
jhp
Old 26-04-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post

Yes but that doesnt mean that TT have to follow their call price increases does it?
# 12
BexTech
Old 26-04-2008, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
Yes but that doesnt mean that TT have to follow their call price increases does it?
No they don't have to, but nearly all these telcos seem to follow each other with the call cost rises.

However if BT put the cost of supplying a line to these companies and puts the cost up of providing extra call features such as call waiting, caller display, ACR etc, then the other Telcos need to pass on the increases or somehow subsidise it elsewhere, for example Sky Line Rental with Caller Display and if they add on other provider block would cost Sky more than they charge.

So much for competition, so much for OFCOM letting BT be able to set their own call charges, did OFCOM really think BT would drop their charges if OFCOM left them to it?
# 13
normanmark
Old 26-04-2008, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post

At a price set by Ofcom so its fair & regulated. Talk Talk still put in their own equipment at the exchange. BT cannot up the price for charging of these lines without prior consent from the regulator.
# 14
deklan99
Old 26-04-2008, 10:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

"However if BT (Openreach) put the cost of supplying a line to these companies and puts the cost up of providing extra call features such as call waiting....."

Wholesale line rental hasn't changed since 2006. Additional features such as caller display, call waiting etc. haven't changed for some years and charges are being reduced by Openreach as of May this year.
What Talktalk charges for it's calls are nothing to do with BT.
# 15
BexTech
Old 26-04-2008, 2:30 PM

For prices charged by BT (Open Reach) as they have to be run as a separate company:

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/home.do
# 16
gilfachboy
Old 04-05-2008, 1:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

well for 13 a month i get 24/7 free calls, free caller display and line rental with talktalk. a cracking deal if i say so.
# 17
jhp
Old 04-05-2008, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfachboy View Post
well for 13 a month i get 24/7 free calls, free caller display and line rental with talktalk. a cracking deal if i say so.
Yes but thats a special offer you got as an existing customer and a very good one too.But i cant see them offering it to new customers.
# 18
madbazoo
Old 04-05-2008, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Talk Talk poor customer service

Just tried to change my Talk Talk call plan. When they annouced 'free' broadband I signed up for the 20 pm package. Because of all the problems they had with Broadband I have never used their service at all.

Encouraged by Martin I started to look at my home phone costs and when I actually use my phone. As most of my daytime calls are on my mobile the best deal looked to be Talk Talk's UK Evening & Weekend Unlimited Plan which would save me 6 per month.

However TT have refused to let me switch as I have 'a TT Braodband connection' at my local exchange and 'it cannot be changed' to phone only.
Looks like I have no option but to go back to BT
Closed Thread