Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    franky
    Nettle recipes- Food from the wild.
    • 11th Oct 04, 1:52 PM
    Nettle recipes- Food from the wild. 11th Oct 04 at 1:52 PM
    Remember to wear gloves when picking but Nettles don't sting when cooked!
    Nettles are very nutrient rich and of course - [glow=red,2,300]free[/glow]! Don't gather them beside roads where they will have been contaminated by traffic fumes. If you have them in your garden and keep cutting them you get a regular supply of fresh leaves,

Ingredients:

2 tbs of oil

1 onion, chopped

3 tbs of flour

2 cloves garlic, chopped

3 handfuls of freshly picked and washed young nettles

2 cups soya milk

2 cups water or stock

salt and pepper to taste

Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for a few minutes then stir in the nettles until soft. Stir in the flour and gradually add the soya milk and water or stock, stirring all the time. Add seasoning and liquidise.
Page 3
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 11th Mar 07, 6:54 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    organic wanabe
    Problem is - where do you find nettles away from traffic and dogs! Unfortunately, I don't have any in my garden and most places I can think of, around Edinburgh, either would be full of traffic fumes or visited by four-legged friends. I heard a piece on the radio about nettles and I did think "what a great idea". Lucky you.
  • Boro Boy
    You have to put your thinking cap on. I picked mine from a local lane. Although I saw 2 dog walkers I picked mine from the bank where the mutts wouldn't go.
    BORO BOY
    £2.00 coins saved so far £28
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 11th Mar 07, 10:23 PM
    • 113,637 Posts
    • 232,068 Thanks
    Quasar
    That's really interesting. I have to say that my entire experience with nettles consists in brewing nettle tea now and then. Refreshing and healthy.
    After all, cellulite is just a packet of crisps that made it.
  • apple_mint
    We made nettle soup in the minty household yesterday too. We used the Hugh FW recipe last year but this time used the one mentioned on the Chris Evans show (Kieth Floyd recipe on the Radio 2 web site). This one is very much a 'dining' soup as opposed the thick and hearty soup by Hugh FW. OH still prefers the Hugh FW one but I liked the Kieth Floyd recipe ... particularly with double cream stirred though
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
  • shammyjack
    Have a look at this for a good dish using nettles, the recipe is near the bottom of the page !

http://www.calderdale-online.org/html/community/life5.html

shammy
  • dianadors
    Some great stuff on here.

http://www.wildmanwildfood.co.uk/
    • Firehorse
    • By Firehorse 12th Mar 07, 10:16 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Firehorse
    Went to a friends buffet last year, and she served nettle quiche.....it was delicious.
    • hazzie123
    • By hazzie123 12th Mar 07, 10:45 AM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 3,317 Thanks
    hazzie123
    Starting to feel peckish now,The nettle soup sounds good,also the quiche.

Gunna have to dig out my gardening gloves!
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007
  • pennypinchingmum
    Nettle recipe- Food from the wild.
    whilst out for a stroll last week we collected some nettles. I know it's not fashionable to eat nettles but i urge you to try them, they are absolutely gorgeous when cooked properly. Remember to take a pair of scissors with you when collecting, or else you'll have very sore hands.

1.wash the nettles in a colander

2.Add a little butter to a pan and add the nettles and keep stirring until they are dark green

3.Add 1 garlic clove

4.add some flour and a chicken stock cube with a little more butter and stir through .

5.Add milk, until you have the required consistency, keep stirring all the time .

6.Once the required thickness simmer for 5 mins stirring occasionally.

That's it. I used mine as a stir through on pasta.
    It tastes amazing, you can add creram to make nettle soup. Use it as a sauce for fish, or just add a little milk and flour and use it as a veg with a roast. Any questions or more exact measurements i'd be happy to help with.
  • champys
    You are so right pennypinchingmum - I love nettle soup too, but I had not tried it as a pasta or fish sauce. That will go on the meal plan next! Good to note that this is a very good time to gather nettles, as they are just coming up now and are still young and tender.
    I have plenty in the garden so don't even need to go walking to collect them!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 21st Apr 08, 11:10 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Great looking recipe PPM -I've been meaning to try nettles for ages. I'm sure we've had other recipes posted here. Another good place to look would be the River Cottage forums.

Incidentally Champys what is the French for nettles ?
  • Ephemera
    I love nettles, they taste a bit like peas and scrambled eggs! (to me)

There are loads of wild foods out there...shepherd's purse, hairy bittercress, dandelion root and leaves, to name a very few!! ...along with the more obvious brambles and other wild fruit. One of my personal favourites is comfrey leaves, I put them, torn, into an omelette, or alternatively fry them in a batter for comfrey fritters. Elderflowers make a fab early summer wine, or you can fry the flowers to make fritters too. Our native lime trees are useful too...the leaves are a tasty salad and the flowers make a lovely tea.

As for anything like this though, make sure you can positively identify a plant before eating it, and if you are unsure, don't eat it! There are many plants that look very like edible ones, and although most just taste awful, there are a few poisonous ones in there too. So get a good identification guide, or a tame expert!

Happy hunting,

Eph xx
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• Ephemera
    Oh, and a caveat with nettles...

Only eat young plants, or the leaves that come up after you have cut the plants down. Older leaves, especially those in early Summer, have a grainy texture and may be laxative in some people.....
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 21st Apr 08, 11:25 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi pennypinchingmum,

That looks yummy! I'll add it to the nettle thread later as it helps to keep all the recipes together.

These other threads might interest you too:

Free wild food ideas?

Dandelion Honey & other wild food recipes

What can be eaten from wild now?

Foraging - Natures Food

Free Food Challenge

Cheap food if you aren't squeamish

It's also worth checking out the Foraging forum on www.downsizer.net

Pink
    • otterspasm
    • By otterspasm 21st Apr 08, 7:57 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    otterspasm
    In our village yesterday we had the Dock Pudding World Championship. Dock Pudding is a mixture of dock leaves, nettles, onion and oatmeal fried up in a little oil. Usually served for breakfast with bacon and egg. I tried it for the first time and it was yummy! A bit like spinach. I don't know quantities though so would need to experiment a bit if I wanted to make it myself.
    Tess x

Underground, overground, wombling free...
    Old Style weight loss so far...2 stone and 7 pounds
    • HariboJunkie
    • By HariboJunkie 21st Apr 08, 9:56 PM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 45,822 Thanks
    HariboJunkie
    I was just thinking about nettle soup this morning. I grew up being embarrassed by my mother foraging for nettles with her marigolds on but now think nothing of doing the same to my children.

We're going to try to get some this weekend. Nettle soup is absolutely delicious.
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 5th May 08, 1:48 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    Tried nettles for the first time - great!
    Yesterday I cooked some nettles for the first time. Had been meaning to for ages but was always slightly worried I'd get a stung mouth!

Anyway, I needn't have worried. I picked about half a washing up bowlful of young nettle tops, and boiled them for 25 minutes. I then mixed them with creamed tomatoes, pasta and sunflower seeds, and some garlic.

They were delicious! Very similar to spinach but without the horrible feeling on your teeth.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • mary43
    Must pass that on to OH...........he's head of kitchen dept............lol
    Moaning like mad he was pulling nettles up the other day and getting stung.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
    • Angelina-M
    • By Angelina-M 5th May 08, 6:20 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    Angelina-M
    I use nettles in soapmaking, facial toners, allsorts of beauty things but I just darent eat them!

I've read how nutritional they are for us its just..... well I don't like how they are always covered in spiders, sorry, wuss alert :rolleyes:

I may try them this year, maybe in a soup?
  • balmaiden
    We eat nettles regularly either steamed as a veg, or as a soup. I can confirm that they are delicious.Give them a go guys you don't know what you are missing.
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

4,200Users online

Martin's Twitter