Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Bad credit. Need to rent REALLY BADLY. What can i... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Bad credit. Need to rent REALLY BADLY. What can i do?!!
Closed Thread
Views: 49,591
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Renee_
Old 16-04-2008, 3:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34
Default Bad credit. Need to rent REALLY BADLY. What can i do?!!

Me and my partner both have bad credit.

We desperately need to rent a place. Really urgently. Is there ANYTHING at all we can do to improve our credit WHILST paying off the debts.

Our debts don't amount to too much, around 3k together. But we need to move away asap and can only clear the 3k in around 4-5 months.

Do many landlords really accept double deposit as insurance? Would i sound stupid if i phoned an estate agents to ask this? Has anyone done this?

Renee xxx
Renee_ is offline
Report Post
# 2
SuzySu
Old 16-04-2008, 3:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Essex
Posts: 3,448
Default

I will wait with interest for the replies to this Renee as I'm sure our credit is shot to pieces too (and we have a fair amount of debt) and we will be looking to rent as soon as our house is sold.

Good luck to you.
YOUR = belonging to you (your coat); YOU'RE = you are (I hope you're ok)

really....it's not hard to understand
SuzySu is offline
Report Post
# 3
msmicawber
Old 16-04-2008, 3:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,926
Default

I managed to pass landlord's credit checks all the time I owed money on my credit cards, so think that provided you're paying regularly towards your debts it doesn't matter too much. However, I've never had CCJs and don't know whether that made a difference.
Debt at highest: 6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
Debt free success date: 14.8.2006
msmicawber is offline
Report Post
# 4
mogimorgan
Old 16-04-2008, 3:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 139
Default

I was in the same situation - now I have a rented property.

What we did is that we went to the local paper and found a private landlord advertising there property for rent. Most of them will check refferences - but won't bother with a credit check as this will cost them. And if they need a tenant then most will try to get anyone they can.

If you can find the right landlord - with the right house - you will find somewere.

Any respectable estate agent will perform a credit search - unless you know someone who works as one and willing to do something on the side for you lol.

Hope this helps.
mogimorgan is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mogimorgan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
moneysavinmonkey
Old 16-04-2008, 3:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee_ View Post
Me and my partner both have bad credit.

We desperately need to rent a place. Really urgently. Is there ANYTHING at all we can do to improve our credit WHILST paying off the debts.

Our debts don't amount to too much, around 3k together. But we need to move away asap and can only clear the 3k in around 4-5 months.

Do many landlords really accept double deposit as insurance? Would i sound stupid if i phoned an estate agents to ask this? Has anyone done this?

Renee xxx
are you paying off your debts regularly - ie making the required payments on time every month - if you haven't missed any payments or paid late then there is no reason for you to have a bad credit record. Check out your credit report - see here

It is possible to rent even if you have bad credit - different agencies have different checking criteria + private landlords tend not to check at all as long as they have proof of salary. You can also get round a bad credit check if you offer a gurantor- or if you don't have anyone willing to do this you can offer to pay say 3 or 6 months rent upfront.
moneysavinmonkey is offline
Report Post
# 6
SuzySu
Old 16-04-2008, 3:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Essex
Posts: 3,448
Default

Good idea Mogimorgan. Can we negotiate on rent as we would on a house price?
YOUR = belonging to you (your coat); YOU'RE = you are (I hope you're ok)

really....it's not hard to understand
SuzySu is offline
Report Post
# 7
ruggedtoast
Old 16-04-2008, 4:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,254
Default

You can make an offer on rent same as everything else. If you dont pass the credit check you can offer to pay 6 months rent in advance. Its a stretch but if its the only way.
ruggedtoast is offline
Report Post
# 8
mogimorgan
Old 16-04-2008, 4:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedtoast View Post
You can make an offer on rent same as everything else. If you dont pass the credit check you can offer to pay 6 months rent in advance. Its a stretch but if its the only way.
I wouldn't advise this as what if the landlord house was repossesed in the first 2 months? You would lose 4 months rent. And really how realistic is it that someone could afford this in the first place.

I would get the local free paper - look through it - ring a few but don't mention your bad credit. As long as you are working, and can afford the rent, you should find someone or somewere that is willing to rent to you.

Also, you could put your name down on the Coucil/Housing assisation waiting list too. However, I don't beleive you would be very high on the list and could take a while.

Good look!
mogimorgan is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mogimorgan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
ruggedtoast
Old 16-04-2008, 4:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,254
Default

We paid 6 months in advance. Had to, we'd just come back from 3 years abroad and had no jobs.

We had to pay a monster deposit as well, but we didnt get repossessed.

Im not saying its desirable Im just saying its possible.
ruggedtoast is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to ruggedtoast For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
SuzySu
Old 16-04-2008, 4:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Essex
Posts: 3,448
Default

As stated on previous posts, we will struggle even to acheive one month's rent up front so 6 months is just impossible. If we had that sort of money to hand I would not be needing to sell in the first place.
YOUR = belonging to you (your coat); YOU'RE = you are (I hope you're ok)

really....it's not hard to understand
SuzySu is offline
Report Post
# 11
Fred1
Old 16-04-2008, 4:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 210
Default

As a private landlord, I have rented to someone with a bad credit reference. She was able to supply a guarrantor who has a good credit reference. I would certainly recommend staying away from agents, they probably won't touch you with a bargepole and will charge you an extortionate fee to do the check. A credit check and refernce check gan be done for about £35 so if you're charged more than £50 in "admin fees" you're probably being ripped off.

Get in touch with your council and see if they have a bond guarrantee scheme, that will save you having to find a deposit , if your new landlord accepts their scheme. Also ask if they have a list of accredited landlords, they may even have a list of accredited landlords with vacancies, depends on the council.
Fred1 is offline
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
moneysavinmonkey
Old 16-04-2008, 4:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzySu View Post
As stated on previous posts, we will struggle even to acheive one month's rent up front so 6 months is just impossible. If we had that sort of money to hand I would not be needing to sell in the first place.
Haven't read your other posts, but you are going to need more than one months rent upfront. Even if you go with a private landlord so no admin/credit fees you will need a deposit of at least 1 month - more commonly 11/2 months in my experience - + your 1st months rent in advance.

Hopefully your council has a bond scheme as mentioned by Fred1. Otherwise you need to flog some stuff/do some fast moneysaving to cobble together a bit more cash.
moneysavinmonkey is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moneysavinmonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Renee_
Old 17-04-2008, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34
Default

Thanks for your replies everyone. It's made me feel a bit more positive and me and my partner will make some enquiries with private landlords!

Good luck to all

xxxxxxxxxx
Renee_ is offline
Report Post
# 14
Benefits Blagger
Old 17-04-2008, 3:29 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogimorgan View Post
I was in the same situation - now I have a rented property.

What we did is that we went to the local paper and found a private landlord advertising there property for rent. Most of them will check refferences - but won't bother with a credit check as this will cost them. And if they need a tenant then most will try to get anyone they can.

If you can find the right landlord - with the right house - you will find somewere.

Any respectable estate agent will perform a credit search - unless you know someone who works as one and willing to do something on the side for you lol.

Hope this helps.
whats the difference between a credit check and a credit reference ?

I'm going to be in this position soon, I can quite comfortably pay 6 months up front, but my worry is repossesion. does anyone know if maybe i could negotiate to pay say 3 months upfront, with the other 3 going in the deposit. so if worse came to the worse I could claim my money back from that, likewise the LL would have recourse if I failed to pay the rent.
Benefits Blagger is offline
Report Post
# 15
janegresty
Old 17-04-2008, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 114
Default

We have been in the same situation as you! Infact we are moving this weekend to our 2nd property with very bad credit. May not help... but hopefully will.

The first LL does credit checks. But was willing to accept us if we could provide a Gaurantor.. so MIL agreed. Just means if you don't pay your rent your Gaurantor foots the bill.

We have same problem finding this property we are moving to. But were lucky and found a private LL advertising on Gumtree... which means no credit checks or admin fees. Just wanted wage slips, references etc etc.

Good luck!
My baby boy is now 8 weeks old.
Starting college on Monday Access to HE Nursing & Midwifery
janegresty is offline
Report Post
# 16
janegresty
Old 17-04-2008, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 114
Default

Also just thought I'd mention its worth finding out if in you area they do the "rent deposit scheme" as some LL's will accept this and it means you do not have to pay your deposit.

We were lucky, our old LL left us in a house with damp and mould and did nothing. We started looking to move 2 weeks ago... and found a house within 1 week. We couldn't afford the deposit and she didnt accept the rent deposit scheme... but was nice enought to accept extra money on top of rent for the next 3 months until deposit is covered.

So there def are nice LL's out there!
My baby boy is now 8 weeks old.
Starting college on Monday Access to HE Nursing & Midwifery
janegresty is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to janegresty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Fred1
Old 17-04-2008, 4:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benefits Blagger View Post
whats the difference between a credit check and a credit reference ?

I'm going to be in this position soon, I can quite comfortably pay 6 months up front, but my worry is repossesion. does anyone know if maybe i could negotiate to pay say 3 months upfront, with the other 3 going in the deposit. so if worse came to the worse I could claim my money back from that, likewise the LL would have recourse if I failed to pay the rent.
Although I wouldn't recommend anyone part with 6 month's rent in advance, unless you get a BIG discount for doing so, I doubt repossession should be anything to worry about. If you have an AST, as long as you don't breach the terms of the agreement, you cannot be evicted during the term of the contract. ASTs are 6 months minimum. So the worst that can happen if the house is repossessed is that the mortgage company can give you a notice requiring possession, dated for the end of the AST or 2 month's in the future, whichever is the longer. Check that with a solicitor though, but I'd bet a tenner I'm right (and gambling is the one vice I don;t have )
Fred1 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Benefits Blagger
Old 17-04-2008, 4:24 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post
Although I wouldn't recommend anyone part with 6 month's rent in advance, unless you get a BIG discount for doing so, I doubt repossession should be anything to worry about. If you have an AST, as long as you don't breach the terms of the agreement, you cannot be evicted during the term of the contract. ASTs are 6 months minimum. So the worst that can happen if the house is repossessed is that the mortgage company can give you a notice requiring possession, dated for the end of the AST or 2 month's in the future, whichever is the longer. Check that with a solicitor though, but I'd bet a tenner I'm right (and gambling is the one vice I don;t have )
my big worry is renting off someone who is using OO mortgage instead of a BTL mortgage, from reading this board it seems like the AST is worth sweet FA if you get repossed in that scenario.
Benefits Blagger is offline
Report Post
# 19
Fred1
Old 17-04-2008, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benefits Blagger View Post
my big worry is renting off someone who is using OO mortgage instead of a BTL mortgage, from reading this board it seems like the AST is worth sweet FA if you get repossed in that scenario.
I hadn't thought of that :O
Fred1 is offline
Report Post
# 20
jak
Old 17-04-2008, 5:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,500
Default

Look in the small ads rather than the letting agencies. You prob. won't have a credit check.
Sober and happy!
Pay back Dad 1000, Credit card 497
jak is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to jak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 1:29 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 01 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • ALT-JTHIS IS ALL YOURS
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.