Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Old Stylee window cleaning - ideas please! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Old Stylee window cleaning - ideas please!
Views: 88,586
# 1
Allexie
Old 29-08-2005, 8:22 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Question Old Stylee window cleaning - ideas please!

Over the years I must have tried every commercial window-cleaning product known to person-kind...Windowlene, Sparkle, Mr Muscle etc, plus all the shops own-brands - but always with the same results After my exertions, and considering my windows clean and sparkling inside and out, I sit down with a cup of tea, (thus changing my viewing angle I guess), only to see loads of smears on the glass

Please can I have some instructions/methods/hints/tips for getting really clean and smear-free windows. Some of my windows face a main road so they get awful mucky/greasy/black gunk on them. I'm sure I've read on here about white vinegar, :rolleyes: and newspaper, (Posh paper or red-top ) but just how do you go about it? Do you clean with detergent first?

*** Pitter-patter, pitter-patter ....... hark, whose footsteps are those? Could it be St Squeaks the Domestic God?? ***
♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 31-08-2005 at 3:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Allexie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
sunsetgirl
Old 29-08-2005, 8:41 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I use neat white vinegar from a spray bottle and rub off with a clean rag. I used to use window cleaning glass sprays and when I first changed over to natural cleaning it took a while to get all the residues off the panes. Bedroom windows can look greasy due to our exhaled breath , so rub a slice of lemon over the glass first then clean with vinegar.
hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to sunsetgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Chris25
Old 29-08-2005, 8:53 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I wash with hand hot water with a small squirt of washing-up liquid. Then I rinse with a mix of hand hot water and white vinegar and use an e cloth. It's a lot of work but I look at it as valuable exercise.

I know a lot of people swear by using newspaper to dry off with because of the ink but I don't think many papers use that now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Edinburghlass
Old 29-08-2005, 9:40 AM

I only ever use vinegar, white, brown whatever to hand, in water put on with a jay cloth, no need to rinse and always wiped off with newspaper.

Your hands get dirty with the newspaper but the windows are just fine. As are all my fifteen pane glass doors
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
scottishflower2000
Old 29-08-2005, 9:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburghlass
I only ever use vinegar, white, brown whatever to hand, in water put on with a jay cloth, no need to rinse and always wiped off with newspaper.

Your hands get dirty with the newspaper but the windows are just fine. As are all my fifteen pane glass doors
same as me but clean the inside one way ie up & down , the outside the other ie side to side. If there is a streak it is easy seen where to tackle it.
Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottishflower2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
apprentice tycoon
Old 29-08-2005, 10:24 AM

I use soapy water and a squeegee like the window cleaners do, we have 4 large patio doors and it's the quickest way to do them -

out of interest when my son was very small he saw me wiping the windows with a yellow duster (in the days when I used windowlene) 2 minutes later he too was wiping the windows with something yellow - the inside of a banana skin
The Following User Says Thank You to apprentice tycoon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
chrislee765
Old 29-08-2005, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

windowlene.. thing of the past
-------
Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
-------
# 8
barbie babe
Old 29-08-2005, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i use newspaper and vinegar hands get very messing but windows come up lovely.
The Following User Says Thank You to barbie babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Allexie
Old 29-08-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishflower2000
same as me but clean the inside one way ie up & down , the outside the other ie side to side. If there is a streak it is easy seen where to tackle it.
Now that is dead clever!!!!!
♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

The Following User Says Thank You to Allexie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
elvis_bloggs
Old 29-08-2005, 12:51 PM
PPR

I just wash my windows with soapy water then wipe dry, sod the streaks, they are not dangerous so I don't bother about them and I only wash the windows when it starts getting difficult to see out of them anyway.

# 11
culpepper
Old 29-08-2005, 2:39 PM

when I can be bothered to do mine ,I use the squeegee and soapy water method as mentioned above.I keep an old nappy in my other hand and each time I squeegee,I wipe the blade to remove any bits that it might have picked up.The one bucket of water does for the whole house and its only a small squirt of washing up liquid.
Mum used to do hers with windolene and then polish them with a newspaper.
# 12
mah_jong
Old 29-08-2005, 7:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes..i am also of the ...thery only get done when they need it... brigade !!

Hot water with drop of washing up liquid ...squeegee, clean water and then the blade up and down. If there are streaks (usually are...). thats proof I have just done them!!!

Cost......negligable!

Inside I still have some spray from the years that I thought cleaning windows was important!!!! They get done occasionally ....like when I paint or have to wash the curtains!!!!

:-)
# 13
Jnelhams
Old 29-08-2005, 8:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Window Cleaning

I discovered by chance, that if you make ZOFLORA up in a spray bottle the kind you use for plants, and spray windows, glass Tv screens lightly with that instead not only can you wipe them clean with some old non lint cloth or kitchen towel but they smell better than the chemical sprays or vinegar.

ZOFLORA is the disinfectant you buy in tiny little yellow boxes for about 70p.
# 14
Dumyat
Old 29-08-2005, 8:53 PM

I use a microfibre cloth (buy mine for £1 at factory outlet shop) dont need any chemicals just moisten the cloth with water and wipe the windows...no smears. great on tiles, mirrors, baths.....just general cleaning. wash in washing machine and last for ages.
x x x
# 15
innovate
Old 31-08-2005, 9:06 AM
PPR

I swear by the microfibre cloth as well - warm water, a drop (only one!) of washing up liquid in it, wipe down glass & frames with wet microfibre cloth, and then wipe again with a dry microfibre cloth.

It's almost fun cleaning windows that way - takes a fraction of the time, and no streaks yepeeh!

I use the e-cloth , found the cheaper microfibre cloths don't do such a good job, and also don't keep their effectiveness long enough. I resisted paying £8.99 for two e-cloths for a long time and used some cheaper ones, J-cloths, special "window cleaner's secrets" cloths, the latest and greatest glass cleaner stuff etc - - but eventually I splashed out on 2 e-cloths the other day in Waitrose......I wish I'd done that 12 months ago!

I could rant about how wonderful microfibre cloths (usually just with plain water, no chemicals whatsoever needed, or just dry for dusting!) are for other things all around the house, or the car - if you haven't tried them, you must, they are just plain wonderful!

Apart from Waitrose, John Lewis and B&Q sell the e-cloth, as does the e-cloth online shop. You could also check out eBay.

Last edited by innovate; 31-08-2005 at 11:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to innovate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
FirstClassMale
Old 31-08-2005, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am an ex window cleaner (which means I grumble when I have to do my own) I have a long CV so it is just one of many jobs I can claim to know a bit about.

Some have already mentioned that they use squeegies and washing up liquid, this is, by far, the best method but I have a few pointers for you....

Use a normal washing up liquid, don't use an antibacterial one or you will get streaks.

Get a professional squeegie - ettore or ungans do them in brass or steel, pay that little bit more and you will get better results and longer life too. Check that the rubber is not stretched or worn too.

An applicator is not vital but will save time. Whether it's a sponge or an applicator, wet it in the water then squirt a bit more Fairy (oops! but it does work best in my experience and leaves your hands sooooo soft) on it before working up a bit of a lather using your hand. Dunk it back into the bucket before soaping up the glass but dont go right to the top, leave a line about quarter of an inch then take your squeegie and start in a sideways motion from about the top third of the glass moving up to take in the dry bit. Use a zig zag pattern finally finishing on the bottom of the frame with your rubber wiping off the excess water from the frame in one movement. Give the squeegie a hard flick to throw off the water and there is no need to wipe it with a cloth.

The zig zag method sounds daunting but it just takes practice
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstClassMale For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Penny-Pincher!!
Old 31-08-2005, 2:05 PM

Talking

Hi

OH uses a soapy sponge & blade both inside and outside windows. I have aso used vinegar solution but find this better for inside rather than outside. He used to be a window cleaner though and literally takes him seconds to do a window without smears and runs etc. Try and get him to do outside at least every 3-4 weeks. The cost of a window cleaner here is £9.00 for a small 2 bed semi ..im not paying that..lol.

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
# 18
NixNoo
Old 31-08-2005, 2:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Def same as Barbie Babe - vinegar and newspaper, very old fashioned way but works everytime.

Am I talking to myself or wot?!

Please come and play with me, I'm bored xx

Weight 23 Mar 06 = 11st 9.5lbs
(Maybe writing it on here will make me loose it now?) :confused:
# 19
leonie
Old 31-08-2005, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I agree with Innovate, that e-cloths are brilliant! Expensive but they do seem to leave less smears than cheaper cloths
# 20
itgirlinuk
Old 31-08-2005, 2:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Oh my god! I have never cleaned my windows, generally move out of the flat before I need to.... Heehehe...he..

But I now I have to. So, thanks for all your comments.
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes: