IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Registry Office Wedding
Closed Thread
Views: 30,962
# 1
ladypinkof66
Old 13-04-2008, 4:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Registry Office Wedding

My oh has recently proposed and we intend to get married in a registry office please can anyone advise as to the procedure we need to follow to apply how much it is likely to cost and is it stupid to have one or more bridesmaids.
I have been married before in a church but otherhalf has not been married however we only want a small affair.
Thanks
2010 - Goals

1. on the long road to hopefully adopting a child - Home Visit 3 Feb 2010

2. Planning to clear my credit card debt.

3. lose weight.

# 2
neas
Old 13-04-2008, 4:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Cost

£100 to £160 depending on if you take pictures in their 'garden area' if they have one

Procedure:

1. Ring local registry office to book appointment with a registrar (person who interviews you both seperately to see if you really know each other)
2. Pay registrar fee for registering your intention to marry (Costs 30 pound each at Plymouth registry office)
3. Return form with wedding vow choices, music,reading choices etc and pay for fee for ceremony (ours was 100 pound for 3 wedding certificates, registry office and 15 minutes outside for photographs)

Bridesmaids/Best Men:

We are having A best mand and Bridesmaids... after the cermony we will take pics in the garden area then head off to the sit down meal.. where I, best man and brides father will give a speech.. so no bridesmaid/best men aren't silly... Its your day so enjoy it.

Clothes

As for what I'm wearing, OH is wearing Wedding Dress and Im wear a Suit with Tie to max wedding dress... no top hat etc.

Registrar will interview you both and probably want to see documentation surrounding your divorce so you can declare you are legally allowed to marry.

Congrats and good luck .

Last edited by neas; 13-04-2008 at 4:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to neas For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ladypinkof66
Old 13-04-2008, 4:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for that but do we have to go for an interview before we can discuss any dates etc, as we need to book a reception venue ?
2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

# 4
miserly_mum
Old 13-04-2008, 4:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Your local council website will have all the imformation on venues, fees and forms you need etc

You will need 2 witnesses so thats your Bestman/ Bridesmaid sorted.

If you have younger family members a flowergirl and/or Pageboy would be nice, but not essential. You can get lovely little outfits for very little if you shop around
How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
The Following User Says Thank You to miserly_mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ladypinkof66
Old 13-04-2008, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

plus do we have to pay the full £130 up front then even if the wedding would be over a year away ?
2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

# 6
ladypinkof66
Old 13-04-2008, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I checked the website but for some reason it would not load so was unable to get any information of the site
thanks
2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

# 7
ladypinkof66
Old 13-04-2008, 4:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks miserly mum yes we were planning to just get a couple of dresses from bhs for the younger girls and shirts and waistcoats for my brothers two boys who will be 3 and 4.
2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

# 8
miserly_mum
Old 13-04-2008, 4:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypinkof66 View Post
Thanks for that but do we have to go for an interview before we can discuss any dates etc, as we need to book a reception venue ?
A lot of Hotels are Registered now so that you can get married and have reception at the same place.

Might be easier to get bookings at shorter notice if you have the wedding mid week. Most places are booked months or years in advance for weekend weddings
How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?

Last edited by miserly_mum; 13-04-2008 at 4:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to miserly_mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
neas
Old 13-04-2008, 4:49 PM

You have to pay the £60 for registering intention for marriage (this is where your name is posted at your local registry office for anyone to disrepute your intention to marry... i.e if you are already married someone can oppose it...its just a law thingy)

The cost for ceremony and marriage certificates: (I'll post plymouths website):
Quote:
Basic marriage ceremony

This may take place in a ceremony room at the Register Office or a licensed room at an approved premises.
The Registrar will require to see both parties to the marriage together prior to the ceremony. This is to ensure that all details for the ceremony are correct and that all legal formalities have been completed.
Ceremony
The Superintendent Registrar will say the preliminary announcements.
You will be required to say one form of declaration and one form of marriage contract out loud in the presence of two witnesses plus the Superintendent Registrar and the Registrar.
You have the option to exchange one or two rings and the option to make a promise to one another.
The Superintendent Registrar will announce that you are husband and wife and ask you to sign the marriage register.
Cost
  • Register Office ceremony room or office, 15 minute booking - £40
  • Drake Ceremony Room and garden facilities, 30 minute booking, plus additional time - £90
  • Drake Ceremony Room and garden facilities, 45 minute booking, plus additional time - £125
  • Approved Premises - £27
We paid the other £90 a month later after we had made our vow combination choices and music choices etc. Basically you need to pay 60 quid upfront to start with then have 1-2 months to pay the other 90-100 quid.
# 10
neas
Old 13-04-2008, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypinkof66 View Post
You can provisionally book at date on the phone with them.. I.e book a date and time slot.
# 11
ladypinkof66
Old 13-04-2008, 4:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks all i will give them a ring tomorrow to check on dates and then book an appt for me and oh, thanks all
2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

# 12
inkie
Old 13-04-2008, 4:57 PM

If you are wanting a smaller wedding - have you considered a non-conformist church? There weddings are lovely and many do not charge (I do not charge), as the registrar has to attend to do the registration (hence the listing on the registrars details for 'approved premesis'. just throwing something else in to the pot.
The Following User Says Thank You to inkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
ladypinkof66
Old 13-04-2008, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

inkie what is a non conformist church i have not heard of one. as i have been married before i thought a church would not necessary marry us plus my partner has not been christened.
2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

# 14
northern_star
Old 13-04-2008, 6:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We had a low-key register office wedding 3 weeks ago. The costs are £30 each when you give 'notice' of your intention to marry then £43.50 on the day - total £103.50 which includes 1 certificate. You have to give 'notice' at the register office in the distrct where you live but you can get married at any other office. We got married outside our district as our local one isn't very nice. The one we chose is in a splendid old building (made fab photo's) with loads of character. Nowadays you can have pretty much what you want in a register office wedding (even a choice in the wording). You can have bridesmaids, best man, someone to give the bride away etc or simply the 2 witnesses thing. We were impressed with the flexibility of it all. I'm sure the above costs are standard but perhaps some register offices charge more for additional services. Ours didn't though and the building, the ceremony rooms and the staff were lovely. It couldn't have been better. Hope you find something equally suitable and have a wonderful day.
# 15
ladypinkof66
Old 20-04-2008, 6:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Many thanks for all your comments i have now booked the reception venue and have to wait til the beginning of June to book the registry office for next year, i found very helpful hints and pointers.
Thanks all
2010 - Goals

3. lose weight.

# 16
inkie
Old 20-04-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
inkie what is a non conformist church i have not heard of one. as i have been married before i thought a church would not necessary marry us plus my partner has not been christened.

Sorry for the delay in answering - a church other than the C of E, for example, methodist, baptist, salvation army, etc. Not being 'Christened' is not an issue. Neither is one of you being married previously necessarily a bar to being married in church. If you require any fruther information them PM me.
# 17
Savvy_Sue
Old 21-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to the Weddings and Anniversaries board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 18
kaz2721
Old 21-04-2008, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Me & my OH got married in a Registery Office 2 years ago as we only wanted a small 'do' with immediate family ... was the best day of my life!

Our son was the Page Boy and our Daughter was my Flower Girl, my sister was my "matron of honour" and we had a best man too!!

The only thing a didn't like the idea of was being interviewed together before the ceremony. As I didn't want my OH to see me before - for obvious reasons / traditions. Therefore, we asked if this could be done seperately and this was no problem at all. All the guests were seated before I made my "grand" entrance with my Dad walking me down the "aisle". Absolutely fantastic day.
The Following User Says Thank You to kaz2721 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
LydiaSophia
Old 21-04-2008, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am getting married in Guildford registry office and it is costing £230!!!!

I am so glad I just read this thread! I had no idea that we had to give an order of marriage etc etc. I just rang Guildford Borough Council and asked them loads of questions - the woman was lovely!

Call your local council if you are worried about anything - they so know what they are talking about!
Lydia

Last edited by LydiaSophia; 21-04-2008 at 1:45 PM.
# 20
kylieb90
Old 24-07-2008, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydiaSophia View Post
I am getting married in Guildford registry office and it is costing £230!!!!

I am so glad I just read this thread! I had no idea that we had to give an order of marriage etc etc. I just rang Guildford Borough Council and asked them loads of questions - the woman was lovely!

Call your local council if you are worried about anything - they so know what they are talking about!

HEY IM IN THE SAME SITUATION. MY OTHER HALF RECENTLY PROPOSED THE TROUBLE IS I HAV NO IDEA WHERE TO EVEN START. HE'S IN THE ARMY WHICH MEANS WE WANT THE WEDDING PRETTY SHARPISH, SOMETIME IN THE NEXT 2 MONTHS WAS OUR ORIGINAL PLAN.I HAVE NO IDEA WERE TO EVEN START. WE HAVE DECIDED WE WANT A REGISTRY OFFICE TO SAVE MONEY AND BECAUSE WE JUST WANT 2 BE ABLE TO C EACH OTHER MORE THAN WE ARE. I PERSONALLY WANT 2 GET MARRIED AS SOON AS. LAST MONTH WOULDNT OF SUITED ME LOL. CAN NE1 HELP ME. SORRY BOUT THE CAPS LOL.
Closed Thread