Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Apr 08, 8:57 PM
    • 36,175 Posts
    • 32,326 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th Apr 08, 8:57 PM
    • 12th Apr 08, 8:57 PM
    No, and although our charity can make use of unwanted toiletries and cosmetics we can't use ones which have been opened because of the potential risk of infection. I'm not saying no-one can use them, but I'd say their usefulness might be limited.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Still knitting! Aiming to finish this cardigan before I get my bus pass!
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Apr 08, 9:06 PM
    • 5,396 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th Apr 08, 9:06 PM
    • 12th Apr 08, 9:06 PM
    I travel a fair amount around the UK and i was asked if i could save the hotel toiletries and hand them in to a womans refuge. the nature of the organisation means women often turn up at odd hours with only the cloths on their back and nothing else. If you know of something similar they would be grateful for them, the only potential problem is the locations tend not to be broadcast so you may have to make arrangements through a third party to donate them.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".
  • MissMuppet
    • 12th Apr 08, 9:09 PM
    • 12th Apr 08, 9:09 PM
    Thanks for that, I thought that might be the case... I have put them all on Freecycle and someone is taking the lot of my hands tomorrow, just thought I would check about charities really.
  • Ianna
    • 13th Apr 08, 11:28 AM
    • 13th Apr 08, 11:28 AM
    If you contact Refuge on one of the donation contacts listed here they can tell you how you could donate any unwanted bits and bobs to your local refuge. Some you can visit but others are secret so you might be put in contact with a local office who would pass them on for you.

It's a great idea, these small things can really make a difference
  • VazSingh
    • 13th Apr 08, 6:21 PM
    • 13th Apr 08, 6:21 PM
    I'm part of a charity called Sikhcess. We're going to be doing a nationwide campaign soon (14th June) and it's geared towards providing the homeless with toiletries. I'm not sure about half used but anything decent would be more than welcomed.

Homeless shelters in general may benefit from your contribution. Especially in places such as London.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Apr 08, 9:15 AM
    • 4,053 Posts
    • 20,106 Thanks
    Gers
    • 14th Apr 08, 9:15 AM
    • 14th Apr 08, 9:15 AM
    I already do this and give them to a local place which provides food and support to homeless people. Got my work colleagues saving their hotel toiletries too. Works well.
  • MissMuppet
    • 14th Apr 08, 9:59 AM
    • 14th Apr 08, 9:59 AM
    I'll remember this for next time... I buy stuff all the time, use it once and then never use it again, such a waste!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,488Posts Today

8,155Users online

Martin's Twitter