Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Charities > Donating Toiletries/Cosmetics to Charity? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Donating Toiletries/Cosmetics to Charity?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,824
# 1
MissMuppet
Old 12-04-2008, 4:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question Donating Toiletries/Cosmetics to Charity?

I went to Gambia back in 2000 and there was a scheme mentioned out there at the time which meant you could send your half used toiletries/cosmetics you don't use anymore to them... I have searched the Internet for something like this but can't find anything, does anyone know of a charity/organisation that does this?

Thanks!
# 2
Savvy_Sue
Old 12-04-2008, 8:57 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

No, and although our charity can make use of unwanted toiletries and cosmetics we can't use ones which have been opened because of the potential risk of infection. I'm not saying no-one can use them, but I'd say their usefulness might be limited.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 3
ohreally
Old 12-04-2008, 9:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I travel a fair amount around the UK and i was asked if i could save the hotel toiletries and hand them in to a womans refuge. the nature of the organisation means women often turn up at odd hours with only the cloths on their back and nothing else. If you know of something similar they would be grateful for them, the only potential problem is the locations tend not to be broadcast so you may have to make arrangements through a third party to donate them.
Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".
# 4
MissMuppet
Old 12-04-2008, 9:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for that, I thought that might be the case... I have put them all on Freecycle and someone is taking the lot of my hands tomorrow, just thought I would check about charities really.
# 5
Ianna
Old 13-04-2008, 11:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you contact Refuge on one of the donation contacts listed here they can tell you how you could donate any unwanted bits and bobs to your local refuge. Some you can visit but others are secret so you might be put in contact with a local office who would pass them on for you.

It's a great idea, these small things can really make a difference
The Following User Says Thank You to Ianna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
VazSingh
Old 13-04-2008, 6:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm part of a charity called Sikhcess. We're going to be doing a nationwide campaign soon (14th June) and it's geared towards providing the homeless with toiletries. I'm not sure about half used but anything decent would be more than welcomed.

Homeless shelters in general may benefit from your contribution. Especially in places such as London.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VazSingh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Gers
Old 14-04-2008, 9:15 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I already do this and give them to a local place which provides food and support to homeless people. Got my work colleagues saving their hotel toiletries too. Works well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
MissMuppet
Old 14-04-2008, 9:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'll remember this for next time... I buy stuff all the time, use it once and then never use it again, such a waste!
Closed Thread