IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
www.topupnow.co.uk
Closed Thread
Views: 6,163
# 1
Stuart_W
Old 26-08-2005, 1:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question www.topupnow.co.uk

Our friends who run 18866.co.uk, 1899.co.uk, 18185.co.uk, telediscount, telesavers, telestunt and goodness knows what else have now also launched topupnow.co.uk for landlines. A £1.50 top-up calls buys credit you can use via a 0808 freephone number. With a 5p connection fee it does not seem favourable except where it offers 0p/min destinations not available with any of the other services (I don't think 1899 offers as many as this but I could be wrong). I'm an NTL user and topupnow.co.uk allows me to call all of the below places just for the connection fee as the 0808 number can be called from cable lines too.

International calls only 0 pence!
Bangladesh 0 p/Min
Bulgaria 0 p/Min
Germany 0 p/Min
Poland 0 p/Min
South-Africa 0 p/Min
USA 0 p/Min
Zimbabwe 0 p/Min
Connection fee 5p.

In most other cases, 18866 (2p connection) 1899 (3p connection) or 18185 (4p connection) work out better.

Last edited by Stuart_W; 26-08-2005 at 1:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart_W For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
pricefighter
Old 26-08-2005, 1:50 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

www.topupnow.co.uk is the site folks.

Cracking prices to the Free Destinations.Speak for as long as you like for 5p connection.

Also offers cheap calls to UK mobiles 9p a min,and personal numbers(Landline) 9p a min.(might work to Hospital Line eh?).Connection charge of 5p applies.

It appears not work from anything other then the landline you bought the credit on.
PF.

Last edited by pricefighter; 26-08-2005 at 2:07 AM.
# 3
bbb_uk
Old 27-08-2005, 7:46 PM

Assuming that the freephone is accessable for those on In-Contact Plus (incoming calls only) then they could use this service - although they would somehow have to find a way of topping up.

An 09x number from a payphone would probably be around £3 a minute or something like that.
# 4
Stuart_W
Old 27-08-2005, 8:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Top Up Now

To use the topupnow.co.uk service you have to call the £1.50 line from the phone you want to top up. Therefore, if you cannot make outgoing calls, the topupnow service will not be available to you.

Also, I think BT payphones block any fixed rate £1 and £1.50 per call numbers anyway, so the service could not be activated from a BT payphone. Certain non-BT payphones allow access at an additional premium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart_W For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Stuart_W
Old 07-09-2005, 8:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Talking TopUpNow: 17 countries are now 0p/min!

http://www.topupnow.co.uk

17 countries can now be reached for 0p/min with 5p connection fee.

Agentina, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Czech Rep, Denmark, Germany, Poland, S Africa, US, Zimbabwe.

I have been using it for US calls no problems via my NTL landline.
You make a £1.50 premium rate call and then make calls via a 0808 access number. The only down side is you don't get to hear your remaining balance, but I've been running a manual tally and it works out right at 30 5p calls for each top up.

Last edited by Stuart_W; 07-09-2005 at 8:38 PM.
# 6
Dagobert
Old 07-09-2005, 9:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What happens if the line is engaged or the person you're calling does not pick up the phone? Does that cost 5p, too?
Saor Alba,
Dagobert
# 7
pricefighter
Old 07-09-2005, 11:28 PM

Already mentioned by OP here .
See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...light=topupnow

Not sure why he has opened another thread.Moderator can you please link the two.Thanks.
PF.

Last edited by pricefighter; 07-09-2005 at 11:31 PM.
# 8
Edinburghlass
Old 07-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Done, as you edited
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
pricefighter
Old 07-09-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobert
What happens if the line is engaged or the person you're calling does not pick up the phone? Does that cost 5p, too?
As you are dialling a 0800 to access the intl number you dont pay anything until there is an answer.So you pay connection 5p once.
PF.
# 10
Lara
Old 08-09-2005, 6:01 PM

Thumbs down

That site is seriously very expensive! We call Malta several times a week for only 5p per min and they want 25p per min . Not too impressed with the site either.
# 11
pricefighter
Old 08-09-2005, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
That site is seriously very expensive! We call Malta several times a week for only 5p per min and they want 25p per min . Not too impressed with the site either.
Sorry you are mistaken.They are the cheapest supplier of calls from 01/02 numbers to Malta Landlines at the mo.Have a another @@ at the site.Calls to Malta 1p a minute, connection charge 5p.You apear to be mixing up the landline and mobile,s rate.

Do you really care what the website is like as long as they are delivering the goods? Bear in mind at the moment that they also offering unlimited calls to 17 destinations for zilch.(Connection charge of 5p applies)
PF.
# 12
trainee_doshsaver
Old 09-09-2005, 9:40 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Does anyone know how long you are connected for on the 0p/min line before it automatically disconnects? For example, Voipbuster allows one hour calls before a disconnection
# 13
pricefighter
Old 10-09-2005, 6:26 PM

Out of interest can any user of the service tell us how you can check your balance please.It says in the Q&A section you have to ring the premium number but surely this will just top your phone up again,with another £1.50p credit.
PF.
# 14
pricefighter
Old 17-09-2005, 1:18 PM

Users watch out for price increases!!!

Phillipines was 1p a minute now 9p a min.

Anybody else spotted any?
PF.
# 15
onzey
Old 18-09-2005, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm thinking of giving topupnow a go for USA calls mainly. I have normal BT line and TalkTalk.

Just to be sure, once I've done my £1.50 top up will the 0808 number work ok via TalkTalk or do I need to 1280 back to BT?
# 16
pricefighter
Old 18-09-2005, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onzey
I'm thinking of giving topupnow a go for USA calls mainly. I have normal BT line and TalkTalk.

Just to be sure, once I've done my £1.50 top up will the 0808 number work ok via TalkTalk or do I need to 1280 back to BT?
No need to dial 1280,it should work if you dial it direct.
PF.
The Following User Says Thank You to pricefighter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
pricefighter
Old 27-09-2005, 5:19 PM

Another sneaky increase South Africa is no longer free,now 1p a min, see drop down tariff list.Despite the fact the home page says it is.
PF.
The Following User Says Thank You to pricefighter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
competitionscafe
Old 27-09-2005, 5:48 PM

Bu$$er, I was enjoing my 'free' calls (5p a call technically) Still looks like it's the cheapest though for non BT customers at 5p connection + 1p per minute?
Even though a 1 hour call will now cost me 65p instead of 5p (12 times more!)
Thanks for the update.
"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
best of everything; they just make the best
of everything that comes along their way."
-- Author Unknown --
# 19
villaneme
Old 03-10-2005, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm a bit confused by this thread.
For the ones that are already using topupnow:

1) What sort of problems are you finding with the service? (if any)
2) Are they a serious company? Some people are reporting that prices start increasing after you top-up. Is this frequent?
3) Finally, do you recommend the service?

For the country I call most of the time, it's only 5p connection (and 0p/min). Today, I pay 1p/min (using another company); which means that if the call lasts for more than 5min, topupnow is the cheapest by miles.
# 20
pricefighter
Old 03-10-2005, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villaneme
I'm a bit confused by this thread.
For the ones that are already using topupnow:

1) What sort of problems are you finding with the service? (if any)
2) Are they a serious company? Some people are reporting that prices start increasing after you top-up. Is this frequent?
3) Finally, do you recommend the service?

For the country I call most of the time, it's only 5p connection (and 0p/min). Today, I pay 1p/min (using another company); which means that if the call lasts for more than 5min, topupnow is the cheapest by miles.
1.None it works fine.
2.Yes they are part of 1899/18866 family.(prices have only normally gone up when they have ceased free call offer to a destination).
3.Yes it works,its cheap,and you can try it out for £1.50p
PF.
Closed Thread