IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Doing a house up on a budget..........
Closed Thread
Views: 7,085
# 1
arkonite_babe
Old 25-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Doing a house up on a budget..........

Any advice / tips for doing up your home on a tight budget??

We've moved into our home a few weeks ago and due to having to replace the central heating and some radiators, amongst other things, we are now on a tight budget for redecorating etc.

My nearest Ikea is in Scotland, so that's out for cheap items or accessories for finising a room.

Any ideas??
# 2
Edinburghlass
Old 25-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It was only £15 for me to post a pc to Pink, so start that Ikea shopping list and I'll go shopping
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
elona
Old 25-08-2005, 11:35 PM

Charity shops and car boot sales or else antique sales?
"This site is addictive!"
Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
Preemie hats - 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to elona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Pink.
Old 26-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ark,

When you're next in Belfast pop into Wyse Byes (Newtownards Rd) I got some really lovely furniture for dd's room there a couple of weeks ago.........good quality and not flat-pack Wardrobe, desk/dressing table, bedside cabinet all came to £160, delivered.

It's not somewhere I'd usually think of shopping.........I was out looking for furniture and spotted just what I wanted in the window as I drove past. It's an interesting shop :rolleyes: , some really nice things mixed up with some really tacky stuff! But it all seemed like good value.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
arkonite_babe
Old 26-08-2005, 12:10 AM

Thanks! So far I'm going to start on the kitchen first. It's a disgusting shade of coffee (really has to go!) I'm not too bad in that we have all our bits and bobs, it's more ideas on how to re-decorate on a budget

Right, who know the winning lottery numbers for Saturday night
# 6
dooj
Old 26-08-2005, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default budget decorating

You could make up your own paint by buying lots of cheap white then adding smaller tins of colour paint to create different shades of paint but make sure you make enough cos it may be difficult to match any you mix twice. Ask friend and relatives if they have half tins of paint for wood tiles etc, in my experience people have half tins or open tins of allsorts lying about which they are only too happy for you to use up, me and my mam do this all the time we dont buy any paint untill we check what the other has.
Also check out the £ shops they sometimes get paint, varnish and floor paint in stock. I did my whole sitting room floor floorboards in pound shop floor dye and varnish it cost me about £7.00 how chuffed was I.
Thats another tip sand and varnish floor boards instead of having carpets.
The Following User Says Thank You to dooj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
kroome
Old 26-08-2005, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Lightbulb

also on tight budget, but managed to scrounge my kitchen units from friend of a friend who was having new kitchen fitted carcasses are excellent and have replaced doors, hinges, handles and fitted worktops ouselves.
# 8
weekendwarrior
Old 27-08-2005, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi,

There is some useful advice on this website for DIY, which can save you lots of money. I have checked out most of the DIY websites and this seems to be one of the better ones as it is not full of advertisements and it is all explained in plain english!

check out this page first which shows how much a plumber would charge to fix certain problems (according to united utilities)
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/PLUMB_COST.htm

Here is the link to the home page, should save you a small fortune!

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weekendwarrior For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
christmas fairy
Old 29-08-2005, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

I know its a bit sad but try your local tip! they always keep back the really good items, and some still are allowed to sell the items on.
when we were doing uo our bathroom on a budget we bought a perfectly good sink for £4, and some taps for £2.50 that just needed a bit of elbow grease. I have also liberated a few bits of furniture before my local tip was stopped from selling items to the public.
Worth a try anyway? Also try Ebay, many good items to be found, I just bought a leather recliner for £50!
# 10
elfmay
Old 14-09-2005, 6:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to elfmay

Regards accessories? I couldn't find reasonable priced pictures for a room when i decorated. If they were cheap I hated them, if I loved them the price was scandalous! :rolleyes: I ended up buying 3 blank canvas's from a local art shop, a few tester pots of paint and made my own!!! Cost less than £20!!!! And everyone asks where I got them from!
I need someone really bad! Are you really bad?
Closed Thread