Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > How do I cancel "checkmyfile" monthly s... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do I cancel "checkmyfile" monthly subscription
Views: 24,856
# 1
Jam tomorrow
Old 09-04-2008, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question How do I cancel "checkmyfile" monthly subscription

In a previous post I was advised to cancel my subscription to "checkmyfile". On revisiting their site I am unable to find out how to do this, there is no phone number and they have not replied to my emails, I'm I missing something on the site? Do you think it's enough to cancel payments to them from my card?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
YorkshireBoy
Old 09-04-2008, 2:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam tomorrow View Post
...I'm I missing something on the site?
According to condition 21, e-mailing after the first quarter is sufficient.
# 3
exel1966
Old 09-04-2008, 2:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Phone : 0800 612 0421

FAX : 0870 094 0069

E : complaints@checkmyfile.com
# 4
Jam tomorrow
Old 09-04-2008, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireBoy View Post
According to condition 21, e-mailing after the first quarter is sufficient.

Thanks, again!
# 5
Kev64
Old 15-08-2008, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just found this thread after wasting 45 minutes digging around their site trying to find the option to cancel too. I've just emailed them after coming here. I must say, I think it's pretty bad for them to have no option at all on their site to unsubscribe. I tried just removing my debit card details, but it won't let you ! It will allow you to add another card, but if you try to delete the last card, it just refuses to let you !

I've used their services for about a year now, and I'm sorry to say that for a site claiming to help people in debt, employing sneaky little tricks like that has rather tainted my opinion of them.
# 6
spartan117
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cancelling CheckMyFile

I just tried it online, they have a an email option to cancel, but when I hit submit, it gave me the following message.

If you wish to cancel, please call us on 01872 308637 anytime from Monday to Friday, 9 till 5.
# 7
Fruit and Nut Case
Old 03-10-2010, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
I just tried it online, they have a an email option to cancel, but when I hit submit, it gave me the following message.

If you wish to cancel, please call us on 01872 308637 anytime from Monday to Friday, 9 till 5.
At least it's not a premium rate number.
# 8
ElkyElky
Old 03-10-2010, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev64 View Post
I've just found this thread after wasting 45 minutes digging around their site trying to find the option to cancel too. I've just emailed them after coming here. I must say, I think it's pretty bad for them to have no option at all on their site to unsubscribe.
Most companies do this. All you are to them is a source of money, so why should they make it easy for you to opt out from giving them any more of your cash?

Making it that little bit harder for you to cancel is a tactic to try and keep you as a customer.

Companies will do absolutely anything to keep the money rolling in, complying with the law and exploiting loop holes. It sucks but until money stops ruling the world, it won't change.
We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
# 9
spartan117
Old 09-01-2012, 7:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

At the top there is a message that reads "Call us free on 0800 612 0421 Mon to Fri, 8am to 5pm, or send us a Secure Message for help" click on the Secure Message link within that text and then choose the option "I would like to close my subscription" and click continue, this takes you to another screen where they tell you that you can suspend your account for up to 6 months and restart it on a date of your choice.

It wasn't clear to me if I'd be charged but the options if gives you are to choose a date within 6 months to restart your subscription (mine defaulted to 3 months from the end of my trial period) and the options Suspend Subscription (a bold bold green button) and a grey 'No Thanks'.

As mentioned above, clicking no thanks takes you to the page where you need to give them a call, I've done it in the past and the cancellation is not painful, if I remember, they may as you why not, all I would say, you're the customer, it's your money, you have every right to be in the driving seat.

The cancellation screen reads :-

Your Subscription
We're sorry to hear you wish to leave us
Before you make up your mind though, take a quick look at the comparison table on the right. You’ll see that whilst all checkmyfile customers benefit from the cheapest online credit reports available, as a long-standing customer, you get an even better deal and pay considerably less each month than new subscribers do.

If you do go ahead and cancel today, you won’t be eligible for this special rate if you choose to start a new subscription in the future.

To continue to cancel, please give us a call on 01872 308637, during our normal office hours - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, excluding Bank Holidays.
When you call, one of our Credit Analysts will provide you with a cancellation reference number, which we will also send by email to provide a record of the cancellation taking effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to spartan117 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Cell
Old 09-01-2012, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I rang the number in the previous post a few minutes ago.

The request was dealt with without fuss, nor did they even ask why I was leaving. Instantaneously I received the following e-mail - it took less than a minute all in

Dear xxxx

This is a short email to confirm that your Credit Monitor subscription has been cancelled and that no further payments will be taken.

Thank you for your valued custom. If we can be of any help, either on the reports you have purchased, or at any time in the future, please don't hesitate to phone us free on
0800 612 0421

Your cancellation code is ********. Please quote this code in any future correspondance (sic) regarding your subscription.

Regards

Customer Care
checkmyfile

Credit Reporting Agency Limited
Chynoweth House
Trevissome Park
Blackwater
Truro
Cornwall
TR4 8UN
# 11
smsfrancis
Old 02-03-2012, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to smsfrancis

For those shy about calling, I have just experienced the following:

I followed the steps above about going to Secure Messaging and then selecting the subject about cancelling. I then saw the same screen about suspending for 6 months or 'no thanks'.

I clicked 'no thanks' and it asked for some optional feedback and then 'request cancellation code', which I clicked.

I got the message at the top "Your subscription service has been cancelled. We're sorry to see you leave." and a secure message to confirm this.

All done and cancelled without waiting for office hours or being asked why I'm going!
Current : Halifax CC £6,638.46 | Virgin CC £860.65 | Girlfriend £817.17 | Natwest PL £12,400 £2,914
Student Loan : £15,792.97 (Sep '09)
DFW Date : Jan 2014 Oct 2014
'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
The Following User Says Thank You to smsfrancis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
elstree324
Old 26-04-2012, 10:49 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cancelling online

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsfrancis View Post
For those shy about calling, I have just experienced the following:

I followed the steps above about going to Secure Messaging and then selecting the subject about cancelling. I then saw the same screen about suspending for 6 months or 'no thanks'.

I clicked 'no thanks' and it asked for some optional feedback and then 'request cancellation code', which I clicked.

I got the message at the top "Your subscription service has been cancelled. We're sorry to see you leave." and a secure message to confirm this.

All done and cancelled without waiting for office hours or being asked why I'm going!
Many thanks! It was painless - I wish other organisations would make it this easy to cancel/amend. Hello Virgin?! One caveat though - its not all 100% praise! The "no thanks" button is greyed out, and of course you have to ignore your instinct that tells you cannot click it! It needs a couple of clicks and a pause before the cancellation code comes up. But well worth it.
# 13
tomhudson21
Old 18-09-2012, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post

I just did this then, it took all of 30 seconds after giving him my postcode and DOB. I think it's pretty bad there's no option to cancel at times other than 5 to 9 as some people do not have that option.
# 14
fulous
Old 06-12-2012, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

cancelled online via the secure messaging, is an instant thing, takes less that 30 seconds. The 6 months suspend button is green and the cancel button is now orange. everything is super with this service
# 15
dalesrider
Old 06-12-2012, 5:18 PM

One piece of advice guys....

Keep a note of the date you cancel. Just in case they decide to debit you again the in future. Claiming you hit the suspend button.
That way. All you need to do is contact your card provider give them the date of cancelation and you will get your money back.