IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
stop fluff from towels?
Views: 20,028
# 1
hollydays
Old 28-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Fluffy bits on new towels

Bought some combed cotton towels cos my others were mismatched and manky.Bought a deep dyed colour from john lewis .Have now washed them twice and tumble dried them to get rid of the bits.Is this a problem with the towels or how many washes should this take?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to hollydays For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
morg_monster
Old 28-11-2006, 1:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

man this is a real bugbear of mine. I bought navy thick cotton towels from Dunelm mill (pretty similar to the JL ones my mum has). I've had them for a year or so now, washing every 2 weeks or so (because I have 2 XL and 2 normal size bath towels), and I still get navy fuzz in the nice white bath. It is such a pain because it makes cleaning the bath much trickier, because the cloth just gets covered in wet navy fluff. Gr.

I found that for the first month or so they shed fluff onto me as well - which then can get seriously annoying when you put on any body lotion! However after a month or so that stopped. Now its just the bathroom... Just keep washing them fairly frequently - I found that they seem to shed less fluff when they are just washed and kind of 'stiff', IYSWIM. like you say, tumble drying helps get rid of the fluff too, but i think it doesn't work so well if the dryer is stuffed full of towels. (and make sure to clear the fluff trap, obv!) (oh you're not using fabric conditioner on them are you.. I'm sure you're not)

So I'm afraid I can't be that helpful - they may shed bits for a while. I think it is just what you get with these thicker, better quality towels. i love my towels all coarse and scratchy and it takes ages to get ther. sometimes i think i should just give my mum new towels and pinch all her old ones...
The Following User Says Thank You to morg_monster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
getcarter
Old 28-11-2006, 3:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I like them scratch too, saves on exfolliantion and this time of year really warms up the skin
# 4
rocketdog
Old 06-04-2008, 4:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy stop fluff from towels?

Hi,

I re-decorated my bathroon last month and chose black towels. They look great but have become the bain of my life!!

They seem to shed fluff (like dust) everywhere. On us when we get dry, all over the bathroom, even covered the kitchen when I took them down to the washing machine.

After getting dry the white bathroom suite looks grey, it's all over the floor and we usually have to re-shower and drip dry....not kidding

What can i do to stop this happening? I have washed all the towels several times on cool washes, boil washes and nothing has changed.

Please help. I'm desperate :confused:
# 5
pigpen
Old 06-04-2008, 4:17 PM

tumble dry them??? it should blow off all the loose fibres..

Write to the manufacturer and complain.. they shouldn't be doing that.. none of my towels shed even the navy ones and dark green ones which would make a monstrous mess in my bathroom!
LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
Hope to be debt free until the day I die
Mortgage-free Wannabee (07/30)
6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
The Following User Says Thank You to pigpen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
rocketdog
Old 06-04-2008, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We don't have a tumble dryer - but we could take them to the laundrette. I'll try that.

After this time, if there's no improvement they're going back to asda I think.

Thank you for your suggestion.
# 7
Linda Secker
Old 06-04-2008, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Aha, theya re Asda ones are they? I was recently given an Asda towel (some range by George) fortunately in cream, and it sheds all over the place too. Cos, it's cream it is not a major problem, but it has been washed 3 or 4 times now and still sheds...Take them back - must be a problem with them. I can't take mine back cos it was a pressie....

Regards
linda
# 8
donny-gal
Old 06-04-2008, 6:06 PM

We have the same problem with Black ones which are really M&S seconds, we have had other colours but it they are the only problem ones, these are the ones with the type of towel on an embroidered panel. Washed and tumbled many times but still make a mess.
DG
Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
# 9
ramk_
Old 06-04-2008, 6:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have exactly the same problem with blue ones we got from Asda - good to know it's not just me!! Will try the tumble drier too, thanks very much!!
# 10
sillyvixen
Old 06-04-2008, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramk_ View Post
I have exactly the same problem with blue ones we got from Asda - good to know it's not just me!! Will try the tumble drier too, thanks very much!!
i have blue ones from asda too, and a shiny black ceramic tiled floor that after a few days looks really dusty as a result from towel fluff! i am hoping that the shedding will stop with time!
# 11
Linda32
Old 06-04-2008, 7:28 PM

We've had the same problem with Christy towels. Pink fluff on the carpets, the errmm fluff which is on the kitchen floor when I sweep is tinged with pink and its pink on the inside of fleece type jumpers.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Asda purple towel as well
# 12
ashlea170706
Old 06-04-2008, 8:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i have the same problem with brown ones from asda i always tumble dry them and there is always so much fluff!
# 13
Slinky
Old 06-04-2008, 9:13 PM

Think I'll pass on buying towels from Asda..........
# 14
Dawnie Baking Lady
Old 11-12-2008, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Towels that shed

Hi all

I have 2 lovely navy blue towels that, despite half a dozen washes or so, are still shedding fluff all over the place!! I never use softener on towels - only the laundry powder. I don't want to get rid of them because they cost me quite a but, being egyptian and also this would just be wasteful.

Any tips?
Dawnie
# 15
BubbleFrogette
Old 11-12-2008, 9:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would also like to hear of any tips please! I bought 8 black towels a few months ago and we have ivory carpet all through the house. The fluff is driving me insane! I don't want to replace them as they were expensive but I need to do something.....
The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
# 16
Pink.
Old 11-12-2008, 9:58 AM

Hi Dawnie,

There's and earlier thread that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
rachstebbs
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a real issue with teatowels shedding! They are not fluffy, they are the 'waffle' type but I can't dry anything with them as i then need to rinse the dishes again! I have washed and tumble dried them a few times but to no avail! Any tips?
1st baby due 28/01/09...oopsidasy!!
The Following User Says Thank You to rachstebbs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sillyvixen
Old 11-12-2008, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachstebbs View Post
I have a real issue with teatowels shedding! They are not fluffy, they are the 'waffle' type but I can't dry anything with them as i then need to rinse the dishes again! I have washed and tumble dried them a few times but to no avail! Any tips?
when i moved i got new teatowels but found the fluff was a problem with glasswear - i just used an old linen towel for glasswhere for a couple of months untill the teatowels (cheap) had stopped shedding - i only changed the tea towels as the old oned did not match the new kitchen.

my asda towels like the cheap tea towels stopped shedding after 2-3 months and are so much softer than the older ones so stick with it.
Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
# 19
nesssie1702
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've never had a problem with towels (tea towels or bath towels) shedding - I only use soap powder when I was them, but I always do them on a 60 C wash and then if I can hang them out to dry. I wonder if the temperature that they are being washed at makes a difference?

I rarely tumble them as I like my towels to be rough and scratchy rather than soft (feel that soft just moves the dampness around my skin and doesn't dry me properly )
# 20
Rachyk
Old 26-10-2013, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy

Can anyone offer any more advice? We've had brown ones from M&S for a couple of years now and I still end up covered in fluff when I dry?!

They were a Christmas present as we wanted some nice fluffy towels, but now I end up using the old worn ones as the brown aren't worth the hassel!!! So any tips people have would be greatly received to finally make my towels useable