Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 1st Apr 08, 8:14 PM
    • 10,749Posts
    • 57,787Thanks
    kittie
    SKI-er, skater or just spending now to preserve any cash that you have
    • 1st Apr 08, 8:14 PM
    SKI-er, skater or just spending now to preserve any cash that you have 1st Apr 08 at 8:14 PM
    3 years after my last edit in 2012 and circumstances changed drastically in february 2015 when my husband of 45 years died. Sorting and clearing is now pretty well done and I am well into the acceptance stage, part of which means that I have been able to move on and am now creating a life for myself.

I have had a thrifty life and much of it was frugal, this enabled both of us to build up good savings and to have a decent income. When someone you love dies then it suddenly brings it home that life really is for living and if that involves spending money then so be it. Our children will still inherit if I stay well, so I have re-joined the skiers group with a vengeance. Posts will know continue as from today 16th october 2015
    Last edited by kittie; 16-10-2015 at 7:31 PM.
Page 83
    • tocsin
    • By tocsin 12th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    tocsin
    I do have the TL bug and what you suggest sounds interesting and I should check it out. Are you saying to book from a non-EU origin and find an independent way to that point, or to book a two-leg trip, doing the long haul from the UK via a non-EU stop?
    Originally posted by Biggles
    EU origin with a positioning flight to get to the "start" - probably easiest to give an example. Say you live in the UK and want to go to Tokyo in business class. Most flights will be from Heathrow, so have a look for the deals from there. Then try starting from Dublin or Amsterdam for example (that's the "ex-EU" part, and you may still end up on the same flights via Heathrow).

Often these flights are much cheaper, and all you have to do is get to the ex-EU start point (some people living near London do a "back to back" flight to kick off the journey - using the same aircraft they flew out to Dublin on to "start" the long-haul. Even better for those of us living well away from London, where we would have to make a journey anyway

There are lots of options, some have been discussed on the travel forum here, and huge amounts of info on the Flyertalk site, e.g. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1736203-ex-dub-logistics-positioning-2016-clinic-thread.html
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 37,486 Posts
    • 33,794 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Certainly not saving it for sin,
    Originally posted by donny-gal
    Missed this when you first posted it, and I know it's a typo, but it made me laugh nevertheless!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 21,865 Posts
    • 55,811 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Thanks for thank link, tocsin. I had a read, as we've looked st Dublin flights before.

Am I right in thinking that's it's only worthwhile if you're travelling business class?

I couldn't stand that thought, or the extra carbon on my footprint, if going backwards to Heathrow! At our age, we want as short a journey as we can.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 14th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    CommyTooper
    Thanks for the explanation, maybe it should be Spending Kids Inheritance Enjoying Retirement.
    • tocsin
    • By tocsin 14th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    tocsin
    Thanks for thank link, tocsin. I had a read, as we've looked st Dublin flights before.

Am I right in thinking that's it's only worthwhile if you're travelling business class?

I couldn't stand that thought, or the extra carbon on my footprint, if going backwards to Heathrow! At our age, we want as short a journey as we can.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Definitely more worthwhile if you're looking at business class, but there can still be savings in premium economy also. The savings are partly reduced passenger duty, but also the airlines recognising they have to offer incentives for the extra sector/ time spent.

It's also definitely more useful for those who are time-rich, where an additional day or two on the holiday is just more fun

As for carbon footprint, I rationalise this by thinking that the aircraft are flying the route anyway. And as I live well away from London, we would have to take a lengthy journey to there.

So in summary, an option for those retired looking for a long-haul journey in more comfort at lowest cost
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 14th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 21,865 Posts
    • 55,811 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We're an hour away from Manchester, so get direct flights to Philly twice a year. At least the standard has improved since AA took over US Airways.

I don't mind the flights, it's the hanging about in airports that drives me mad. Least time spent the better.

• CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 16th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    CommyTooper
    How much to pay when it is free?
    Yesterday we had a wonderful time at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Well worth a visit, you won't be disappointed, and entry is free.
    Only problem came when we decided how much to put in the contribution box. We put in a fiver.
    Then on the way home we decided it was a bit mean of us and chatted about what to do at other places when faced with the same choice again. We've gone with a tenner.

I know a piece of string is as long as it is, we're not hard up, so what do others suggest.
    Thanks.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 19th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 21,865 Posts
    • 55,811 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Well, the business class was wonderful, as was the peace and quiet in the BA lounge. What a difference from the crowded pokey T3 at Manchester.

I don't suppose we'll do it again.it was a rare event as economy was so damned expensive anyway. BC wasn't even 50% more.

• ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 20th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    ibizafan
    Glad to hear Pollypenny. Looking forward to similar with Emirates to Oz in two months, as I'm actually looking forward to the journey instead of gritting my teeth and enduring it! I think I'm just going to have to dip into the savings to do it every year as it's only me going.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 20th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 21,865 Posts
    • 55,811 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Probably even more worth it ,Ibizafan. You'll have room and peace and quiet in the lounge.

From which airport do you fly?

• ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 21st Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    ibizafan
    Birmingham, which has a nice Emirates lounge, via Dubai. One bonus is the chauffeur driven car from home and also at Brisbane to my son's house, which will save him an early morning journey. Not that these details influenced my decision, but it's a nice bonus! No, it's the lie flat bed that did it, albeit a very expensive lie flat bed.
    • Andyclockwise
    • By Andyclockwise 21st Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Andyclockwise
    Thinking of selling up and having an adventure
    I'm 59 still working, my partner is 49 and is currently off work with stress, which will probably result in her leaving her employment soon. We have around 15 years left on the mortgage, but around £200k equity. I have a £14k pa occupational pension in drawdown and a small company pension pot £15k in my current employment. Kids are grown and more or less independent of us now

We are thinking about taking a big step and having a life adventure while we still can. Options are to sell up and invest equity to provide enough income with my pension so that we can travel widely in our campervan. We were thinking maybe part invest in a modest buy to let, which keeps a foot on the property ladder and a roof for us if we decide to come back and pick up where we left off. There may be other options, looking for suggestions from this group.

Have no idea of the ramifications around stuff like - what to use for a permanent address - do we need one of those, and what else to consider? Has anybody done something similar and can give any advice?
    • JuneBow
    • By JuneBow 22nd Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    JuneBow
    I'm 59 still working, my partner is 49 and is currently off work with stress, which will probably result in her leaving her employment soon. We have around 15 years left on the mortgage, but around £200k equity. I have a £14k pa occupational pension in drawdown and a small company pension pot £15k in my current employment. Kids are grown and more or less independent of us now

We are thinking about taking a big step and having a life adventure while we still can. Options are to sell up and invest equity to provide enough income with my pension so that we can travel widely in our campervan. We were thinking maybe part invest in a modest buy to let, which keeps a foot on the property ladder and a roof for us if we decide to come back and pick up where we left off. There may be other options, looking for suggestions from this group.

Have no idea of the ramifications around stuff like - what to use for a permanent address - do we need one of those, and what else to consider? Has anybody done something similar and can give any advice?
    Originally posted by Andyclockwise
    I am thinking about exactly the same thing in a couple of years. I intend to rent out my house which would bring in about £5k pcm to finance it, and because I have a few rental properties, keep one of the smaller ones for when I return to the UK. Alternatively, there are retirement properties near me for just £150k which I may buy to use. The advantage being of course that there would be someone in the building at all times. I could then sell or rent out the property when I was finished with it.
    I have not decided whether it would be best to get a round the world ticket and just return back to see family (or them fly out to see me) or whether to just pay for flights to where I want to go.
    I am volunteering teaching ESOL at the moment and in September will take the CELTA course so that I can teach English abroad if I want. I think I would like to work rather than just holiday so that I can immerse myself somewhere. I want to spend time in India, China and USA as the biggies.
    I am probably going to redirect my mail to one of my kids who can open it for me and scan anything that seems urgent. I will also change my address with banks etc.
    You are right to have concerns about post etc because my son changed jobs recently and deliberately left 3 months between jobs so that he could travel. Just before he went away he was caught by a speed camera, and the police wrote to him. As it happened, the court was in a bit of a mess at the time and the letters went to various addresses he had lived in. Obviously he did not respond because he got none of these letters but the final letter he got about a week before he came back said that if he did not attend court on a particular date then it would turn into a criminal matter etc etc and was very serious. This letter came to his correct address and I had been collecting and opening his post. He sorted it out when he came back, but if the court had written to his correct address and I had not been collecting his mail, it could have turned out serious.
    I have just returned from Israel and the West Bank after one month, and I got one of the neighbours to send my post to my daughter every couple of days as it worried me that something like this could happen.
    I would be interested to hear your plans for your "grown up gap year".
    I want to do it before my children have their own children as I would like to help them out with childcare etc as I had no help when mine were growing up and it was so difficult.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 22nd Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 37,486 Posts
    • 33,794 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    One of my sons is currently itinerant, has been for four years or so. All his post comes to me and I open and scan.

The only possible drawback to this that I can see is that if you are sending it to someone who is claiming single occupancy discount on council tax, or other means tested benefits, it can be argued (and apparently in some cases HAS been argued), that the person whose post is going there should be counted as resident, therefore affecting the claim.

So it's fine as long as there are two of us here! And we're not claiming anything means-tested.

An alternative, if you have an accountant or similar professional, would be to ask what they would charge for correspondence handling.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,707Posts Today

6,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin