Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 1st Apr 08, 11:23 AM
    • 20,554Posts
    • 9,660Thanks
    lisyloo
    Using Amex with Paypal
    • 1st Apr 08, 11:23 AM
    Using Amex with Paypal 1st Apr 08 at 11:23 AM
    I paid for an ebay item with my Amex card recently through paypal as I haev 5% cashback.

Paypal convert to $ and Amex from $ to s so there are 2 lots of charges but these are meant to be refunded (until they sort thei systems out).

Does anyone know.

How long does the refund usually take?
    Who makes it? i.e. who do I need to chase if it doesn't come through. I spoke to Amex a few days ago but the person I spoke to didn't know who originates the credit.
Page 1
  • skyrider007
    • 1st Apr 08, 12:42 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 12:42 PM
    Refund takes about 3-4 working days to process. You shouldn't use AMEX on PayPal as they charges you in US$ regardless of the original purchase currency, this means you'll be charged 2.75% commission charge even if you paid in sterling.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 1st Apr 08, 1:38 PM
    • 20,554 Posts
    • 9,660 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 1st Apr 08, 1:38 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 1:38 PM
    You shouldn't use AMEX on PayPal as they charges you in US$ regardless of the original purchase currency, this means you'll be charged 2.75% commission charge even if you paid in sterling.
    Thanks for the info.
    I am aware of the currency charge (2.73 I think) but I'm in a 5% cashback period so should come out ahead.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 1st Apr 08, 1:48 PM
    • 20,554 Posts
    • 9,660 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 1st Apr 08, 1:48 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 1:48 PM
    See Nicks post here (#3)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=789889&highlight=amex

They say that amex refund the charges, so there should be no charges to pay.
    • simongregson
    • By simongregson 1st Apr 08, 8:02 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    simongregson
    • 1st Apr 08, 8:02 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 8:02 PM
    To confirm, you get a credit for the charges. Usually you end up slightly up. E.g I purchased an item for £12.50

Card charged $25.85 = £13.18
    Credit from AMEX $1.55 = £0.79

Cost to me £12.39, I'm up 11p. So I always pay via paypal by Amex now.

The credit usually appears the day before the charge on my account.
  • Wilko ITFC
    • 1st Apr 08, 8:14 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 8:14 PM
    To confirm, you get a credit for the charges. Usually you end up slightly up. E.g I purchased an item for 12.50

Card charged $25.85 = 13.18
    Credit from AMEX $1.55 = 0.79

Cost to me 12.39, I'm up 11p. So I always pay via paypal by Amex now.

Originally posted by simongregson
    Interesting...May do all my PayPal transactions via Amex from now on
    Experian Credit Score: 990/1000
    Credit Card Debt: 552.58 0.00 (01/04/08)
    Student Debt: 19,500
  • CannyJock
    • 1st Apr 08, 9:13 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 9:13 PM
    To confirm, you get a credit for the charges. Usually you end up slightly up. E.g I purchased an item for 12.50

Card charged $25.85 = 13.18
    Credit from AMEX $1.55 = 0.79

Cost to me 12.39, I'm up 11p. So I always pay via paypal by Amex now.

Originally posted by simongregson
    Isn't that to do with current weakness of the $ though?
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
    • simongregson
    • By simongregson 1st Apr 08, 11:13 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    simongregson
    • 1st Apr 08, 11:13 PM
    • 1st Apr 08, 11:13 PM
    No, it is to cover the exchange rate loading from Payal and American express.. Paypal promise to credit you with 'at least' the amount of the charges, so I think they give a bit more credit to allow for not knowing the exact charge because it comes from two different parties.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 2nd Apr 08, 10:39 AM
    • 20,554 Posts
    • 9,660 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 2nd Apr 08, 10:39 AM
    • 2nd Apr 08, 10:39 AM
    For some reason mine didn't go through automatically.
    But I called Amex yesterday and today it has been credited manually - so they have re
    sponded pretty quickly.
    This time it was exact but that's because it was done manually.
  • DopeyDylan
    Aha! Thanks for discussing this guys and gals... I have had the same problem just happen to me. Could one of you point me at the telephone number I need to call to get this corrected?
  • DopeyDylan
    I rang them, but they've raised a query and given me a reference number. They reckon it could take 4-6 weeks to resolve?!? How inconsistent...
  • Active_Lad
    Don't use AmEx for PayPal Transactions Anymore
    I have previously used my Amex Card when paying for PayPal items as the conversion credit is always greater than the commissions, so I end up paying less. However, I've discovered today that AmEx NO LONGER apply conversion credits, so you will LOSE OUT if you pay using AmEx. Their reply to my query about a missing credit conformed this and also confirmed:

Thank you for your reply

Yes I can confirm the Pay Pal transactions will continue at the punitive conversion rates

I hope this has resolved your enquiry.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to American Express.

Kind Regards,
    Ash Mohammed
    E-Servicing, American Express

So even they agree the rates are punative!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Jun 08, 4:53 PM
    • 20,554 Posts
    • 9,660 Thanks
    lisyloo
    So even they agree the rates are punative!
    There are two sets of fees.
    One from paypal for converting to $s.
    One from Amex for converting $ to s.

Amex are not responsible for the former charge.
    If you want to blame anyone blame paypal for not being able to charge a sterling Amex card in sterling.
    I don't have any connection to Amex, but I think it's paypal at fault here for charging you in the wrong currency in the first place.
    My comments apply to purchasing a sterling item.

If you are purchasing a $ item then I don't think the rates are much different to many other banks (I think it's 2.73%).
  • Active_Lad
    The response was to a comment that the conversion was punative, not just PayPal's element.

But I agree, it's PayPal's issue.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Jun 08, 5:29 PM
    • 20,554 Posts
    • 9,660 Thanks
    lisyloo
    The response was to a comment that the conversion was punative
    It sounds a strange thing to say about their own rates.
    There rates are not higher than other banks (which are mostly about 2.75%).
    I have found card rates quite good in comparison to changing cash.

I don't really agree with the comment even if one of their staff said it about themselves.

Businesses cannot change money for free and it's OK compared to the rest of the market.

The thing that is wrong is this silly 2 way conversion.
  • NickX
    Businesses cannot change money for free and it's OK compared to the rest of the market.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Nationwide change money for free
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Jun 08, 10:14 PM
    • 20,554 Posts
    • 9,660 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Nationwide change money for free
    Yes you are right but in some countries it's a nightmare trying to use their card (like poland for example).
    I'm not talking about jsut one ATM, we tried about 10.
    I don't know if this is due to the fact that they pay no commission.

I have still be using my AMEX card because despite the 2.73% charge, I'm still in the 5% cashback period so it's still worthwhile.

I don't think their 2.73% charge is out of line with the rest of the market in general.
    Nationwide are an exception and not the rule.
  • amizaki
    I used Lloyds TSB Amex Card at paypal couple of times. Everytime intially Lloyds charged me 1/2 GBP extra. but later they refund me extra charged fee. Even sometimes they refund me more e.g.
    Instead of 58, they initially charged me 60.96. but next day they refund me 3.66. In this case, my net payment was 57.3 (0.70 profit lol).

As they convert -$-, i think all depends on conversion rates. & by this process, sometimes we loose or gain extra .
  • NickX
    I'm not talking about jsut one ATM, we tried about 10.
    I don't know if this is due to the fact that they pay no commission.
    I really wouldn't think that problems using the card in foreign ATMs has anything to do with them not charging commission.
    • thefirs
    • By thefirs 7th Jun 08, 4:29 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    thefirs
    Yes you are right but in some countries it's a nightmare trying to use their card (like poland for example).
    That's interesting. I regularly work in France and habitually pay for most things there on my NWBS cc. The time taken to get the "Put in PIN" message on this card seems to have been getting longer and longer. I thought this might just be normal for any foreign card, but was surprised when using my AMEX card there (in the 5% cashback period) that the PIN request was instant.

No probs using the flexaccount card in cash machines though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,644Users online

Martin's Twitter