IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Public Auctions - Charles Phillips
Closed Thread
Views: 35,012
# 1
secretmachines
Old 28-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Public Auctions - Charles Phillips

http://www.charlesphillips.co.uk/

hi all, does anyone have experience of these auctions, or been to anything similar?

are they an obvious scam? these guys seem to be legit?
The Following User Says Thank You to secretmachines For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
RFW
Old 28-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Not sure what you are asking, I've been in the auction business for a long time and every auction house has had buyers who have had a bad experience. I don't know the company you have asked about so can't comment.

Things to check if you go to any auction.

Are all goods on view? If not why not?, ie make sure you can examine anything you want to buy.

What are their charges? You are unlikely to only pay the knockdown price, it will likely be plus buyers premium and vat.

When do I need to have goods removed by?

Get as much information about each item as possible. They are unlikely to offer a guarantee of anything, even the item description, although you do still have some rights. An auction is NOT a consumer sale. So be very careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to RFW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
RFW
Old 28-03-2008, 11:32 AM

Having just looked again at their website, I'd add a couple of points if you plan on going.

Make sure the item you bid on is the item you buy. ie if you are looking at a television, and what they give you is a boxed one, make sure the contents of the box are the same as the television.

Is this an auction or a sale. It may not be structured as a proper auction. As far as I can see this company is not long established and do not have their own premises, their website doesn't give away too much information.

Be very careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to RFW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
secretmachines
Old 28-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

that's great, thank you for the info.

i'm just conscious of 'scamming' and the stories you hear about people buying cheaper things and then not getting what they paid for or have problems, etc.

Charles Phillips recently sold their premises in scotland to Hibernian Football Club for 4m, who are extending their training facilities!
# 5
RFW
Old 28-03-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmachines View Post
that's great, thank you for the info.

i'm just conscious of 'scamming' and the stories you hear about people buying cheaper things and then not getting what they paid for or have problems, etc.

Charles Phillips recently sold their premises in scotland to Hibernian Football Club for 4m, who are extending their training facilities!
Certainly the setup of an auction in a hotel is how some scammers do it, but genuine companies do too.
# 6
Dack
Old 30-03-2008, 11:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I take it you also noticed that they are a Scotish company that for some reason, want to have an 'auction' at a hotel in Ipswich. Only giving you 1 hour to look at goods. With no catalogue.

The advert does seem to have a very high scam factor attached to it (lots of high value headline items at crazy prices).

Guess it's past tense now anyways.
They promised the earth...and delivered mud. Technically though it did meet the spec.
# 7
RFW
Old 30-03-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I did wonder if this was the same company as the one advertised. It could be that a scammer could list a name to mirror a reputable company name.

Did anyone go to this sale? Was it genuine?
# 8
Dack
Old 31-03-2008, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just checked companies house records and
"CHARLES PHILLIPS & SONS LTD. Registered in Scotland No. 106486"

Should really be: CHARLES PHILLIPS & SONS (OF EDINBURGH) LIMITED, No SC106486 and accounts showing as:

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/05/2006 (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)
Next Accounts Due: 31/03/2008 OVERDUE
Last Return Made Up To: 28/02/2007
Next Return Due: 27/03/2008 OVERDUE

Thing is the domain names have been registered since '99 but seem to have changed in May of last year.

Checking the wayback machine shows a definate change of website style
They promised the earth...and delivered mud. Technically though it did meet the spec.
# 9
FloFlo
Old 31-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!
# 10
secretmachines
Old 01-04-2008, 8:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloFlo View Post
Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!
hehe suffice to say i didn't either!
i went round reputable high street stores instead
# 11
CRW
Old 08-04-2008, 3:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cps

Hello Forum, I found this thread whilst browsing the internet and after reading the posts on this thread feel it is appropriate for me to give my opinion. My Dad is the managing director of Charles Phillips & Sons and the company have been trading since 1987 and holding auctions for twenty years. I can confirm that Charles Phillips recently sold one of there premises to Hibernian Football Club. In reply to the comments of 'Dack' after checking companies house for information on Charles Phillips, you seem to have chosen to omit the information that Charles Phillips have been trading since 1987 and instead you have chosen to tell that there are overdue accounts on Charles Phillips. I can tell you this is untrue and there are NO overdue accounts for Charles Phillips. Also, your comments on change of website style. Website design is changing on a daily basis, I see it very normal to update and change a website, in particular the style and functions as to 'keep with the times' so to speak, or ahead of the times.
Again, in reply to comments that Scottish based Charles Phillips recently held an auction in Ipswich, Charles Phillips have built a customer database with over 300, 000 happy customers over the last twenty years and subsequently hold auctions every weekend in the UK and Ireland. If anybody has any enquiries or doubts please contact us through any of our address', we do not list phone numbers on our website due to us having such a large number number of telephone enquiries, although if required you can find our contact numbers from the Yellow Pages which we have been in for over twenty years.
I do appreciate that there are companies holding scam auctions in hotel rooms, however, we cannot do anything about this and find it difficult to find suitable venues with the facilities for our events. We are currently working with major hotel groups to eradicate this problem.

Thank you,
CRW
The Following User Says Thank You to CRW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
brettcta
Old 08-04-2008, 3:27 PM

wow, that took me ages to write.

oh damn, i forgot i logged out!

that *could* of been written by anyone
helpful tips
it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
there - 'in or at that place'
their - 'owned by them'
they're - 'they are'
it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for 6.34)

Last edited by brettcta; 08-04-2008 at 3:30 PM.
# 13
CRW
Old 08-04-2008, 3:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

brettca, I do not understand your poor grammar, can you explain what your comments mean?
# 14
RFW
Old 08-04-2008, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
I do appreciate that there are companies holding scam auctions in hotel rooms, however, we cannot do anything about this and find it difficult to find suitable venues with the facilities for our events. We are currently working with major hotel groups to eradicate this problem.
With that knowledge, you should be aware that not providing full contact and further information on your website makes it look as though you are the same. One hour viewing time, no online catalogue, the same goods advertised auction to auction, the same pictures, are the same sales techniques used by 'run out' merchants. If you don't want to be seen in a bad light and are genuine, then be more explicit on your website.
# 15
flaura
Old 08-04-2008, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
brettca, I do not understand your poor grammar, can you explain what your comments mean?
Check out your own poor grammar, incorrect usage of there instead of their..!
Lightbulb Moment - March 2004
Highest Debt: 16,896.00
Debt Free Date 25th July 2007 !!
and still DEBT FREE
# 16
brettcta
Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 AM

gracias.

i meant that your first post could of been written by anyone.

no one knows that you are from CRW.
helpful tips
it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
there - 'in or at that place'
their - 'owned by them'
they're - 'they are'
it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for 6.34)
# 17
CRW
Old 17-04-2008, 12:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello,

- What is a 'run out' merchant??

- Consignment auctioneers like ourselves with high volume multi-lot merchandise do not offer an online catalogue. Its superfluous to our business as we sell all our merchandise without this additional cost.

- Full contact information is available via email, we have such a high volume of enquiries that are for general information, we find that using email as our main point of online contact we can reduce the number of enquiries to serious enquiries only.

- All our press advertising has contact telephone numbers and we are listed in the yellow pages under auctioneers & valuers.

- We do not advertise the same goods auction to auction. Its only the categories that may appear the same ie carpets, electrical, paintings, wine, jewellery etc etc. Our continued success is down to the variety that we offer at each sale.

- Viewing times are normal in our line of business, we work different locations with big setup's which must be completed in strict time frames. However, our head office events do have extended viewing times of several hours and sometimes three days prior to an event.

- Many of our major clientss and attendees know
about our auctions and catalogue before the sale date.

- Have you ever been to one of our sales? Have you ever bought anything? If not, why not give us a try and you might change your views on our company and maybe get a bargain at the same time. Please PM me your email address or/and postal address and we will inform you of any event within a fifty mile radius of your home.

Thank you,
CRW
# 18
RFW
Old 17-04-2008, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Hello,

- What is a 'run out' merchant??
Typically, they are the type of company who sell in hotels, empty shops/warehouses. They would have lots of nice pictures of popular items (rather like your website does) and sell either broken/faulty items or even on occasion empty boxes weighed down with a brick. Not as common as they used to be, but still around, they usually pop up a week or two before Christmas.

I hope I haven't said that I thought your company was in any way disreputable, merely that the way it is represented online makes it look as though that is possible, which is surely not an image you want to perpetuate.

Quote:
- Viewing times are normal in our line of business, we work different locations with big setup's which must be completed in strict time frames. However, our head office events do have extended viewing times of several hours and sometimes three days prior to an event.

- Consignment auctioneers like ourselves with high volume multi-lot merchandise do not offer an online catalogue. Its superfluous to our business as we sell all our merchandise without this additional cost.
Not sure why if you can have three days viewing that you would not be producing a catalogue, as you would surely have all the items listed, so in effect would have produced a catalogue anyway, there is then only a short step to get it online, even if only the day before as most auction houses do.

Quote:
- Have you ever been to one of our sales? Have you ever bought anything? If not, why not give us a try and you might change your views on our company and maybe get a bargain at the same time. Please PM me your email address or/and postal address and we will inform you of any event within a fifty mile radius of your home.
Are goods sold new or returns? Are they liquidation stocks? Warehouse surplus? return to vendor items? Bailliff repossessions? Lost property of some form? Are they sold without reserve? Do you in fact run auctions or sell stock on the day without auctionning?
# 19
MMAC
Old 14-11-2008, 12:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have been to several auctions at Charles Phillips auction house in mussleburgh . They were run very proffesionally , the auctioneer was actually trying to indicate to buyers that at times they were overbidding for cases of wine and champagne as they had large amounts of some of them on offer. I bought several large items and was very pleased with the aftercare service when i had a technical problem with one of my items.
# 20
StaffsSW
Old 14-11-2008, 12:29 PM

A curious bump from a noob...
<--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
The Following User Says Thank You to StaffsSW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread