Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > How to Complain about a Pharmacist? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to Complain about a Pharmacist?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,010
# 1
india
Old 26-03-2008, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How to Complain about a Pharmacist?

A pharmacist gave my daughter the wrong anti-biotics.

He gave it to her and 4 hours later turned up at are house and she he'd given her the wrong medicine and he needs it back.

I asked if it could harm her he said no it just wouldn't make her better. He didn't even say sorry he just said the one gave me is the most common anti biotic and de just gave it automatically.

She's 11 months old.

I want to complain because this senario could of been alot worse and I don't want it to happen to someone else.
# 2
hardpressed
Old 26-03-2008, 1:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you contact your surgery they can give you the number for PALS or the PCT. speak to either of them and they should be able to tell you what to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardpressed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Bonaventure babes
Old 26-03-2008, 1:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have to say i would always read the prescription before i hand it over in the chemist and hopefully would notice if i was given something different to what was written.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonaventure babes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
india
Old 26-03-2008, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure babes View Post
I have to say i would always read the prescription before i hand it over in the chemist and hopefully would notice if i was given something different to what was written.
I didn't actually give her the medicine. I probabaly would of noticed when I gave it to her but we had a mad morning. As I got out the chemist with her the school called and said my son had to be collected cause he was unwell.

I gave my cousin my bags and the medicine to put in the fridge and shortly after we came home the pharmacist knocked the door.

My worry is he should be checking prescriptions not just assume and there are people that can't read.
# 5
Millie's Mum
Old 26-03-2008, 2:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I couldn't find it when I just did a search but there was a thread about this issue a few months ago and the MSE'r did go through all the channels to complain, can anyone remember who it was?
MFW Start Sep 07 79484, Now 66783
# 6
Millie's Mum
Old 26-03-2008, 2:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Found it but ndon't know how to post a link

Its called pharmacy dispensed wrong item and its in the consumer vent board

HTH
MFW Start Sep 07 79484, Now 66783
The Following User Says Thank You to Millie's Mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
inkie
Old 26-03-2008, 4:20 PM

Quote:
My worry is he should be checking prescriptions
Absolutely! And how did he conclude that another prescription would have been the most common - he would have to know the diagnosis requiring treatment and there is no way of knowing this from a prescription! The checking procedures have not been adhered to in this case, and therefore this needs to be taken further.
I'm a nurse, and suppose I 'assumed' that someone would be prescribed x and administered this to them without checking the prescription, when actually they were prescribed y....... ??
The Following User Says Thank You to inkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
RoxieW
Old 26-03-2008, 6:05 PM

my doctor prescribed meds for my son when he was a baby - I went to the chemist to pick it up and the chemist told me he couldn't give it to me as its not for under 12 months. I dont go to that doctor anymore - trouble is, everyone has the same idea as she's the only one ever available without a long wait!
MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!
10 a day challenge Aug 408.50, Sept 90
Weekly.
155/200
"It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
# 9
joannasmum
Old 26-03-2008, 6:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Phone your local PCT and ask to speak to the Pharmaceutical Advisor or another member of the Medicines Management Team.
Sorting my life out one day at a time
The Following User Says Thank You to joannasmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
BusyLizzie
Old 26-03-2008, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You can also make a complaint via the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, which all pharmacists working in the UK have to be registered with. I think their website has details. I'm assuming that the presciption was dispensed via a shop, rather than health centre or hospital? If so, you could also write to the owner/manager of the shop outlining what happened and asking what steps they could put in place to prevent it happening to somone else (of course the pharmacist could be the owner/manager ...)
The Following User Says Thank You to BusyLizzie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
moneysaving pharmacist
Old 26-03-2008, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm sorry to hear about what happened, and it sounds like the pharmacist involved didn't handle the situation too well. Pharmacists are only human and all pharmacists have made dispensing errors at some point in their life. We do what we can do reduce the risk, and hope that any errors we make are minor ones and not serious ones. One of the most common reasons for a complaint being made is not that an error has been made, but the way it has been dealt with by the pharmacist.

The pharmacy involved should have a written complaints procedure, and that would be the first place I would turn to. If this does not resolve the complaint then you could consider complaining to the Royal Pharmacuetical Society - details at http://www.rpsgb.org/protectingthepublic/complaints/
If complaining to RPSGB I would probably copy in the PCT as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moneysaving pharmacist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Savvy_Sue
Old 26-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to the Health board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 13
melancholly
Old 26-03-2008, 11:37 PM

i think this is awful - but the one redeeming feature is that he realised the mistake and then did everything he could be fix it, which is something. i know that doesn't help and it could have gone badly, but he did turn up and try and fix the situation (i guess if he hadn't noticed at all, i'd say kick up a huge fuss, but perhaps rein it in a touch - still complain but without fully going for the jugular if that makes sense?!)
# 14
moneysaving pharmacist
Old 27-03-2008, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomised View Post
I was refused medicine I have taken for 2 years because a pharmicst demanded a new prescription. I was angry at the time because it was the weekend and it is life saving medicine (in the long term) , luckily I used someome else's (same) medication.

Good luck with your complaint
Did the pharmacist say why they wanted a new prescription?
# 15
Mrs pbradley936
Old 27-03-2008, 6:13 PM

I think it is bad practice but at least they called round to rectify the situation as soon as they realised something was amiss. I never dwell on what could have been just what did occur. You will drive yourself mad with what could have happened but it didnt.
# 16
Bonaventure babes
Old 27-03-2008, 6:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneysaving pharmacist View Post
I'm sorry to hear about what happened, and it sounds like the pharmacist involved didn't handle the situation too well. Pharmacists are only human and all pharmacists have made dispensing errors at some point in their life. We do what we can do reduce the risk, and hope that any errors we make are minor ones and not serious ones. One of the most common reasons for a complaint being made is not that an error has been made, but the way it has been dealt with by the pharmacist.

The pharmacy involved should have a written complaints procedure, and that would be the first place I would turn to. If this does not resolve the complaint then you could consider complaining to the Royal Pharmacuetical Society - details at http://www.rpsgb.org/protectingthepublic/complaints/
If complaining to RPSGB I would probably copy in the PCT as well.

Id like to agree with this...we all are only human.

If i was you i would just make a point of checking what is written on the script before you hand it over to minimise the risk of this happening again.

I don't think i would be complaining as the next pharmacist you get may not be as keen to hold up their hands and admit they had made a mistake.
# 17
Sugar Coated Owl
Old 27-03-2008, 7:09 PM

Unfortunately dispensing errors do occur from time to time. The pharmacist obviously realised later on that he had made an error and acted accordingly to try and minimise any risk to the patient. Perhaps the pharmacist could have dealt with the matter a little better though. I'm sure the dispensing error would have been reported.
--><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
# 18
lolly5648
Old 28-03-2008, 11:17 AM

I have had this happen twice to me with two different pharmacists. However I always check the box and read the instructions, especially if it is a new prescription or the packaging has changed. It is a fact of life that people make mistakes, including pharmacists and doctors.
Closed Thread