Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discou... (Page 5)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"
Views: 377,832
# 81
vikkinkit
Old 26-06-2008, 1:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Shopper Discounts & Rewards

Hello, this is my first post... [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] I have also been rather remiss in noticing the 8 debits (very stupid of me). NatWest were helpful but said they could not stop the payments and warned me that they have had a lot of complaints about Shopper Discounts.
I called Shopper Discounts and asked who they were and why they were taking money from my credit card. They then told me that I had purchased online from Interflora in April 2007 and (apparently) clicked on a pop-up and entered my email address twice. This subscribed me to their reward programme and allowed them to debit my credit card. When I asked if they had stolen my credit card details from Interflora she simply said 'you didnt read the terms and conditions properly'. Anyway, she offered a full refund within 10 working days and sent an email confirming this. NatWest fraud department have sent me a form and require a copy of the cancellation email from Shopper Discounts. This will then prevent them taking any further monies.
I called Interflora about this and they said that they had altered the wording of their terms and conditions since last year when they had a lot of complaints about Shopper Discounts.
I also noticed the save 10 on your next booking' on the EasyJet website a couple of months ago and didnt click on it. I am now going to double check all my credit card statements! Will keep you posted as to whether I receive my refund from Shopper Discounts.

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 09-12-2013 at 3:00 PM. Reason: pending investigation
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to vikkinkit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 82
trisontana
Old 26-06-2008, 5:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The Mirror are reporting this story today :-

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigat...-might-ge.html
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 83
sylv123
Old 26-06-2008, 6:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Rip off!!!!!!!!!

This has just happened to me bought tickets on easyjet then clicked the 10 cash back offer - luckily I do check my statements. Apparently by entering your email address you agree to easyjet forwarding your bank details. Appalling!!!!!!!!!!!! Have just contacted them and they promised me a refund in the next 10 days. How can they get away with this?
The Following User Says Thank You to sylv123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 84
kt2003_uk
Old 27-06-2008, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Easylife

I have just cancelled my Shopper Discounts suscription online and been told I will receive my last month's 8 back. However, I was charged for 3 months so am trying to get all of my money back.

EASYLIFE are responsible for me being subscribed to this service.
The Following User Says Thank You to kt2003_uk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 85
simbo36
Old 27-06-2008, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I was caught in the same way, thankfully a quick phone got my money back.
The Following User Says Thank You to simbo36 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 86
Spamface
Old 27-06-2008, 3:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It is interesting to see how some people have been paying for months without realising. Does that mean that the Shopper Discounts company does not send out the details of all the 'great' discounts that you are subscribing to? Surely they should send out confirmation emails and information through the post regarding all the discounts and also one of those 7 days cancellation notices.

I'm still to find someone who is intentionally subscribing to this service.

Definitely sounds like one for Watchdog!
The Following User Says Thank You to Spamface For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 87
ElectricPeace
Old 28-06-2008, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've only just noticed two payments of 8 for the last two months to Shopper Discounts and so I phoned the number on the credit card details, and I think I've cancelled it. I'll have to wait and see. I've just remembered how it happened: I clicked on a 10 voucher after buying a laptop from Misco. Be careful where you click!
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricPeace For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 88
miningmaven
Old 29-06-2008, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM].

This is type of opt-out [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] was big in the eighties with banks and insurance schemes and I honestly thought it had been run out of town by Trading Standards.

I innocently claimed my 10 cashback from easyjet. They get you to give your credit card and give you some reassuring blurb along the lines that they need it for the purpose of giving you cash back...

Because I trusted easyjet i filled it in. There was nowhere in that application that told you specifically that you were going to be paying 8 per month for the service. If it was mentioned, it was buried in small print and certainly not detailed as a consideration of receiving the 10 cash back.

I only just noticed the 8 debited today as I was paying my credit card bill online.

I will be speaking to someone tomorrow at my card company (morgan stanley owned by Goldfish) and also shoppers discount direct.

I am also livid with easyjet.com. They are in the Airline business and should stick to what they do.
As far as I’m concerned they are equally culpable for facilitating this scam.

This is going to back fire on them something stupid.

Firstly I intend to contactSaad Hammad, Chief Commercial Officer of Easyjet to let him know in no uncertain terms how disgusted I am with their involvement and ask him for more details of their commercial relationship with shoppers discount – If my suspicions are correct I have a sneaky feeling that they also get a cut of the 8 per month. We shall see.

His details are here:

London Luton Airport
Luton, Bedfordshire LU2 9LS

United Kingdom

Phone: 44 15 8244 3330

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/About/Information/infopack_keypersonnel.html

http://investing.businessweek.com/businessweek/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=8675429&capId=2089681&previous CapId=2089681&previousTitle=easyJet%20plc

Anyone else who feels as strongly as I do I suggest you do the same.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

The sooner this is picked up by trading standards and watchdog the better.

Needless to say i will be doing my bit.

Miningmaven

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 09-12-2013 at 3:02 PM. Reason: pending investigation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miningmaven For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 89
miningmaven
Old 29-06-2008, 3:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

also suggest people post tehir comments on the daily mirror blog.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigat...-might-ge.html
The Following User Says Thank You to miningmaven For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 90
miningmaven
Old 29-06-2008, 4:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I just made a quick call to one of my contacts who is in sales promotions.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

He also wishes to remain anonymous.

What he confirmed to me I had a sneaky suspicion about and now it is all starting to make sense.

The bottom line is that Easyjet, Interflora, National Express et al actually get kick backs for every one who signs up for 8 per month.
Whether they are ongoing monthly payments (up to 50%) or one off upfront will depend on the agreement. But the bottom line is that your airline, flower-shop or coach company is much more culpable than you may have originally thought.

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 09-12-2013 at 3:03 PM. Reason: pending investigation
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miningmaven For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 91
Salvador69
Old 29-06-2008, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Beware Of Expedia

WARNING:
I booked a hotel room through Expedia in early April and have only just noticed that when booking I also had been suckered into the Shopper Discounts & Rewards [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] as since then 8 has been taken off my credit card each month!!
Today I called their phone number printed on my credit card statement (0808 2341539) and was able to cancel my 'subscription' of 8 per month through their automated system and this has since been confirmed by e-mail. Hope this cancellation is genuine! [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 09-12-2013 at 3:03 PM. Reason: pending investigation
The Following User Says Thank You to Salvador69 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 92
elvis girl
Old 30-06-2008, 8:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Has anyone actually seen any of the discounts???
The Following User Says Thank You to elvis girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 93
FedUpCostumer
Old 01-07-2008, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wink Warning_Shopper Discounts & Rewards [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

When booking a flight with www.easyjet.com, the website asks you if you want to save 10.00 on your booking. If you click "yes", it re-directs you to the Shopper Discounts & Rewards website. They ask you for your email address, and while you think it is some type of newsletter you are signing for, what you are really doing is signing on for a direct debit of 8.00 a month, from the same credit card that you used to pay your flight. You don't have to give them any details, only your email address. I am sure they get the information from Easyjet. It took me 3 months to actually realise that they were charging me this monthly amount on my credit card. When you phone them to cancel, they are ready for it, they even have a cancellation automated service (I bet they get quite a [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]high [COLOR=blue! important]rate[/color][/color][/color] of cancellation). After cancelling, I tried to talk to an operator, who read me a 10 minutes speech about how it was my fault and I should have read the small print. When you phone them, they are ready for it, I bet they get lots of phone calls from people as upset as I was. I finally got them to refund 2 payments they took from my credit card, so I suppose they are not doing anything completely illegal, but in my opinion it is totally immoral. I haven't got any service for this money they took from me, and I wasn't even aware that I signed for this service in the first place. People, be aware! and about Easyjet, who I considered a reputable company, the only thing I can say is that I am very disappointed with them for associating with this type of company, and I will avoid flying with easyjet in the future, as they lost my trust on them as a customer for sharing my card details with third parties.

By the way, Shpper Discounts & Rewards changes its name, so be aware. shopdisc.co.uk, shopperdisc.co.uk or shopperdiscounts.co.uk may have appeared on your statement. Check them out in the internet. There are a few interesting reviews from USA and UK. They charge $12.00 direct debits in the States.

As a final note, I would like to say that I placed this same review in another website a few days ago, and I just received a [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] email from the Shoper Discounts & Rewards Team. I just want to thank this people for reminding me once more the unpleasant situation of having to deal with them. As a result of this, I have decided to, not only not to withraw my first review about them, but to post as many as I can, to try to warn other people about the way this company makes business. Thanks!!

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 09-12-2013 at 3:06 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FedUpCostumer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 94
mozzy75
Old 04-07-2008, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hello

I have the same problem, 8 has been charged to my account twice.... I don't remember when I clicked something online or gave out my email adress though, but I must have done it sometime

Does someone have an easy explanation on how to cancel this charge? Do I have to phone them, and which number? I live in Sweden but lived in London for quite a while, that's when I must have clicked something when ordering something....

I would be really grateful for any help on how to proceed!

Thanks

Anders
The Following User Says Thank You to mozzy75 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 95
miningmaven
Old 05-07-2008, 2:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

yuo should call Customer Service team on 0808 234 1539

speak to a human not the automated system. if you insist they will refund all your payments.

if you sound weak they will not.
The Following User Says Thank You to miningmaven For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 96
marsupial_mama
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

A big thank you again for this! Just checked the statement online and I had 24 refunded within 3 days

If you do not specifically demand refund they just want to cancel the subscription. If you insist, they do it!

Andreja
The Following User Says Thank You to marsupial_mama For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 97
moneycheats
Old 08-07-2008, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Shopper Discount & Rewards - [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

After a heated telephone conversation with Shopper Discounts & Rewards upon discovering that I had been charged 8 for 'membership' I am a somewhat comforted that I am not the only one [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]. I am disgusted that Interflora allow [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] on their sight - as if their flowers weren't costly enough!!

The lady on the phone agreed to cancel my membership (of which I was not notified) and refund my money - she was very agreeable which obviously means that she has dealt with other irate 'customers'.

Can something not be done to halt such advertising, esp. through reputable companies such as interflora?

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 09-12-2013 at 3:07 PM. Reason: pending investigation
The Following User Says Thank You to moneycheats For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 98
shaz22
Old 09-07-2008, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Shopper Discounts via EasyJet

I fell for this one as well and would not have realised had I not read it in the Daily Mirror's Consumer Investigation page. Realising that I'd booked two flights with EasyJet, I checked my statement and lo and behold...for the last 4 months.

But my branch of Lloyds TSB couldn't have been more helpful kitting me out with Disputed card payment and Fraud numbers and offered me their phone to use. The Disputed Department straight away gave me Shopper's number [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]- to which I proceeded to tell them I thought EasyJet were giving me a 10 discount for booking two flights and that I'd read about it in the Mirror and I wasn't the only one who had not realised.

He immediately asked me what I wanted, as soon as I mentioned the newspaper, and I told him I wanted my "membership" cancelled and all my money refunded which is supposed to happen within 10 days. I will be checking!

Just how money saving is it to get 10 off, but pay 8 a month for the privilege? Go figure.

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 09-12-2013 at 3:08 PM. Reason: pending investigation
The Following User Says Thank You to shaz22 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 99
takeiteasy
Old 10-07-2008, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I had a similar problem with vprewards.com who are connected to Vista Print and they took out £9.95 from my account. I would advise everyone to regularly check statements as too many companys seem be be profiting from customers ignorance and abusing our trust. I managed to get a refund and the membership cancelled and it seems that the staff are well trained in dealing with complaints about the scheme, suggesting that they must get loads.
The Following User Says Thank You to takeiteasy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 100
urjms
Old 11-07-2008, 9:41 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Easyjet grubby scam

I too get caught out by this grubby and low scam whilst booking tickets with Easyjet. I sent an email querying the charge, they sent one back telling me how it happened and cancelling my subscription, I replied in no uncertain terms what I thought about it and they offered to refund the money....this was from Australia via email - whether it turns up or not will be a different matter.
I find it staggering that Easyjet and other companies would pimp out their web based customers to some shonky 3rd party all for a grubby kickback. It's DUMB business and makes no sense at all. All we can do is complain loudly and vote with our feet, DO NOT FLY EASYJET. I will never fly them again and bad mouth them at every opportunity...and all this for a few quid...dumb, dumb, dumb.
If they have such disregard for their customers at a management level, it must permeate through to all staff at all levels, right down to the check in desks.
Again, a staggering way to conduct business on the internet in 2008. I noted their CFO's address from an earlier post and I will put in writing my disgust.

Last edited by urjms; 11-07-2008 at 9:52 AM. Reason: typos
The Following User Says Thank You to urjms For This Useful Post: Show me >>