Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    trademark
    Premium Bond Winner ?
    • 14th Aug 05, 6:19 PM
    Premium Bond Winner ? 14th Aug 05 at 6:19 PM
    im interested in winning premium bond holders , or not as the case may be , please post your winnings and holding as well as length of time held , i have a theory that newer bonds win more prizes , id prefer not to make this a discussion area of that arguement but i would be interested in your winnings

just a bit of background on me ... im fully invested elsewhere so bonds are another way of trying to be tax free ... im buying £1,000 per month on average and ive only just started this time around , although i have some million year old bonds my grandparents once bought me

current holding £5,150

winnings for august ..one prize of £100

held since .. may 2005
Page 240
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 3rd Jan 18, 6:46 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    adonis10
    2 x £25 on 4,575 holding. Solid start to the year.
    • taylornj
    • By taylornj 3rd Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    taylornj
    Single £25 win on £50k.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 3rd Jan 18, 8:28 AM
    • 7,549 Posts
    • 9,458 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    1x£100 on £49k.
    Last edited by PeacefulWaters; 03-01-2018 at 8:37 AM.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 3rd Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 4,224 Posts
    • 8,745 Thanks
    TallGirl
    6x£25 on £50k for me

1x£25 on £45k for oh

Good luck to everyone
    Save £12k in 17 no 93 £11750/£12k Pay off wasted money £1637£10k
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 3rd Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    Kim_13
    2 x £25 here
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £0/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £8.00/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 3rd Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 1,564 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    3 x £25 on a £30,100 holding so now have £30,175 going into next monthís draw as all my prizes are automatically reinvested.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 3rd Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 7,593 Thanks
    colsten

Won £125 on around £20k holding over past year.
    Originally posted by BigBucket
    That equates to an AER of some 0.63%. Would you be happy having £20K sitting in a savings account that pays so little interest? I appreciate you might like gambling for the monthly PB million (I do it myself) so your answer might be yes. Just curious.
    • newfoundglory
    • By newfoundglory 3rd Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    newfoundglory
    Don't forget about tax.

PB prizes aren't taxable. So for a higher rate tax payer 0.6% could be considered okay.

Luck is unpredictable
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 3rd Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    capital0ne
    £75 on £100k
    • Wenlock
    • By Wenlock 3rd Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    Wenlock
    2 x £25 and 1 x £500 on 30k after a couple of blank months. Can’t complain.
    • Skewie
    • By Skewie 4th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skewie
    I bought £6000 of bonds last year. 20 draws later I havenít won a thing. Anybody else this unlucky?
    Originally posted by Skewie
    21 draws now and still unlucky. I make it about 0.8% chance by my calculations so itís there or thereabouts.
    • sebthered
    • By sebthered 5th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    sebthered
    2x £25on £50k
    Total winnings of £200 in 9 months since purchase - might as well burn fivers to keep warm instead!
    • Drp8713
    • By Drp8713 5th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    Drp8713
    21 draws now and still unlucky. I make it about 0.8% chance by my calculations so itís there or thereabouts.
    Originally posted by Skewie
    Not quite as unlucky as you yet, as i only have £5k invested and drip fed from Jan 16 to build up to that amount now, but I have still have had two years of draws in which I have won absolutely nothing.

Now I have got to £5k im going to forget about them and divert new money to my S&S ISA.
    • StockPB
    • By StockPB 7th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    StockPB
    Can anyone confirm whether the Premium Bond Probability Calculator on the site takes into account the possibilty that winning numbers may never be selected again by Ernie? My own statistics show that since 2006 I/we (my family) have achieved 272 small wins of various value, but never on the same bond number. Has anyone ever won more than once on the same number? Just a niggling feeling... or is it just another statistical fact!
    • oz0707
    • By oz0707 7th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    oz0707
    Can anyone confirm whether the Premium Bond Probability Calculator on the site takes into account the possibilty that winning numbers may never be selected again by Ernie? My own statistics show that since 2006 I/we (my family) have achieved 272 small wins of various value, but never on the same bond number. Has anyone ever won more than once on the same number? Just a niggling feeling... or is it just another statistical fact!
    Originally posted by StockPB
    An old neighbour of mine was the opposite. He was convinced it was easier for the computer to find the same number twice. He had about 20 years worth of prizes which he based his data on. All the prizes he showed me were in paper like little cheques. Could of choked a donkey with the amount he had.

Personally I think it's random.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 7th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 3,322 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Can anyone confirm whether the Premium Bond Probability Calculator on the site takes into account the possibilty that winning numbers may never be selected again by Ernie?
    No more than that losing numbers may never be selected even once.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 8th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1,495 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    zolablue25
    I have had the same number come up 2 months is a row. £25 each time.

This month I have 2x£25 on £26k
    • unkle
    • By unkle 8th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    unkle
    3x £25's the smooth on £50k. Nothing for my wife with £31k
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 16th Jan 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    My goodness that is amazing that £1 equates to £100 now. I didn't think it would be quite that high

So now that my grandson already has some bonds, we can buy him £50 worth now and then - is that correct?
    Originally posted by melbury
    Itís actually £34
    ďWhat means that trump?Ē Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 16th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,852 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    polymaff
    ....but of course the £1 minimum purchase at launch was a substantially larger sum in 1956 money and, according to https://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/, the equivalent value in current day terms using one of the measures (economic power) isn't actually far off £100lso note that the Ts & Cs confirm that online or regular purchases can be made in blocks of £50 once an account is open:
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Itís actually £34
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    Using RPI it is about £24
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

579Posts Today

5,183Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Always fun to speak to @ChrisEvans on radio - at the speed we both go - we could do an hours's show in 15minutes.

• RT @benpostma: After watching @MartinSLewis I took my faulty trainers back to where I bought them from, with no receipt just a screen shot?

• RT @Louloubell1980: @MartinSLewis My little 3yr old and his Auntie on Christmas Eve....4 days after she donated her Kidney to him x https:/?

• Follow Martin