Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    trademark
    Premium Bond Winner ?
    • 14th Aug 05, 6:19 PM
    Premium Bond Winner ? 14th Aug 05 at 6:19 PM
    im interested in winning premium bond holders , or not as the case may be , please post your winnings and holding as well as length of time held , i have a theory that newer bonds win more prizes , id prefer not to make this a discussion area of that arguement but i would be interested in your winnings

just a bit of background on me ... im fully invested elsewhere so bonds are another way of trying to be tax free ... im buying £1,000 per month on average and ive only just started this time around , although i have some million year old bonds my grandparents once bought me

current holding £5,150

winnings for august ..one prize of £100

held since .. may 2005
Page 234
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 11,299 Posts
    • 63,920 Thanks
    kittie
    25 this month.
    • Wurzel Gubbage
    • By Wurzel Gubbage 5th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Wurzel Gubbage
    £25 on £10K
    • aroominyork
    • By aroominyork 6th Sep 17, 7:11 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    aroominyork
    Agent Million knocked on my door last night! Told me to get a life.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 8th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    joeypesci
    I have £30k sitting in a crappy ISA in Nationwide. An ISA that I needed acess to whenever I needed in case. I assume putting that in Premium Bonds would be pointless then?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 8th Sep 17, 2:51 PM
    • 5,811 Posts
    • 5,699 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I have £30k sitting in a crappy ISA in Nationwide. An ISA that I needed acess to whenever I needed in case. I assume putting that in Premium Bonds would be pointless then?
    Originally posted by joeypesci
    Why do you assume that? You can cash in PBs at any time, even though there's a lead time of two or three days to receive the proceeds, so it's not completely instant access if that's a problem for you....
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 8th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    joeypesci
    Why do you assume that? You can cash in PBs at any time, even though there's a lead time of two or three days to receive the proceeds, so it's not completely instant access if that's a problem for you....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Just due to reading the beginning of the thread from several years ago where people were telling the op that they were pointless
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 8th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    polymaff
    That really depends upon how you rate Premium Bond's just over 1% pa interest rate against your ISA's "crappy" rate.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 8th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 5,811 Posts
    • 5,699 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Just due to reading the beginning of the thread from several years ago where people were telling the op that they were pointless
    If I were you I'd base saving/investment decisions on current information rather than forum comments made in an entirely different financial world 12 years ago!

You could do worse than starting with http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds and going through the other useful articles in the savings area of the site....
    • taylornj
    • By taylornj 2nd Oct 17, 11:43 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    taylornj
    3 x £25 wins on £50k for Oct.
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 3rd Oct 17, 6:00 AM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Nothing on £30k, sixth draw in a row.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 3rd Oct 17, 6:05 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Terry98
    You can cash in PBs at any time, even though there's a lead time of two or three days to receive the proceeds, so it's not completely instant access if that's a problem for you....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Yes they pay by BACS and it normally takes three days to arrive after payment. I have just searched for the reason they don't use the Faster Payment system and I think I understand why they use BACS https://www.thinkmoney.co.uk/news-advice/what-is-the-difference-between-bacs-and-faster-payments-0-8463-0.htm
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 3rd Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    • 953 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Apodemus
    Nothing for me this month...again! But 2x£25 for OH...again!

I know it’s random and completely down to chance, but I can see why people start to believe that new bonds win more often than old!

Edit: Return for me for this financial year is 0.4% with six draws done.
    Last edited by Apodemus; 03-10-2017 at 7:44 AM.
    • AR2012
    • By AR2012 3rd Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    AR2012
    October Draw: £25

Total return (rolling average per FY): 0.719%

Total holdings £17375 as of October
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 3rd Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    £100

Came after I reduced my holding quite a bit after the rates fell.... but return overall still steady at 1.2%
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 3rd Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 4,195 Posts
    • 8,665 Thanks
    TallGirl
    3 x £25 on £50k for me
    2 x £25 on £45 for oh
    Save £12k in 17 no 93 £9750/£12k Pay off wasted money £2400/£10k
    • candifloss
    • By candifloss 3rd Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    candifloss
    £25 on £50K
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 3rd Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    polymaff
    1.2% AER

Theory and practice hand in hand
    • Fortescue
    • By Fortescue 3rd Oct 17, 10:31 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Fortescue
    2 x £25 on £50k holding.

Massive success like that has probably put the evil eye on my ticket for tonight's Euromillions draw.

I rarely buy a lottery ticket but thought that I'd have a go given the current huge prize fund.

The triumph of hope over experience!
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 3rd Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    adonis10
    For the first time in about 7 years, 1 x £25. What an incredible return, ha.

Used to have them paid by cheque but checked my account and it said that it'll be paid into my bank, which is fine but I want to auto reinvest any prizes. I logged in this morning to change the preference but I do not know how long it is before the change takes effect - does anyone know? Or for those who get prizes paid into their account, how long from the results date does it take to be paid?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 3rd Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I logged in this morning to change the preference but I do not know how long it is before the change takes effect - does anyone know?
    Originally posted by adonis10
    I don't know for sure, but my reinvestments are always dated in the first few days of the month, so I'd suspect the processing run has already been completed and you are already too late for this month.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

1,708Users online

Martin's Twitter