Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Local MoneySaving > England > Replacing long zip in a fleece (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Replacing long zip in a fleece
Closed Thread
Views: 478
# 1
oldwiring
Old 23-03-2008, 5:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Replacing long zip in a fleece

My fleece is in other wise very good condition but the zip, although apparently OK will not fit in the clasp, if that's the right word, at the bottom. Sp it looks like either a new fleece or getting someone to replace the zip. If I have read their site correctly I cam get a new fleece for just over 30 from Millets. How much though might it cost to get a full length zip replaced and sewn in, and does anyone know anywhere around Bournemouth Christchurch Ferndown areas that will do it?

Thanks
# 2
newcastlebelle
Old 23-03-2008, 6:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

the repair lady I use charges 10 for that length zip to be replaced.
check out your local drycleaners or shoe repairs [!!] they often have people who do alterations and repairs. Also, bridal shops or small clothing outlets as they often have alterations done.
# 3
Savvy_Sue
Old 23-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Zips ain't cheap, £10 sounds like very good VFM!
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 4
lauren79
Old 24-03-2008, 6:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would try SewQuick in the Soverign Centre in Boscombe - they're reasonably priced.
# 5
brightonman123
Old 24-03-2008, 7:00 PM

primark do fleeces for around 5. dont be proud.
# 6
Fourcandles
Old 24-03-2008, 7:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My local sewing shop charges over 20, I cannot remember exactly, it's something silly like 22.35.

I charge 10 plus zip. Not because it's a hard job, just because it takes over an hour sometimes to unpick the blinkin' thing and I hate doing it. After awhile my eyes start to cross and I just want to burn it.

Many sewing supply shops do this and as has been said most drycleaners. If it's a good quality fleece it's worth it, some of my cheaper ones I cut up for dog blankets rather than put myself through it.
'andles for forks...
I have CDO. It's like OCD but alphabetically correct.
Littlewoods-1000, Ace-500, Credit Union-4000, Family- 200.
Debt free for 2012.

# 7
julie toots
Old 25-03-2008, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, if it's just the straight bit that wont fit in the puller bit (very technical aren't i ) you may be able to fix it by GENTLY inserting a flat bladed knife and wiggling it open a little more.
Afraid it may be trial and error with knife to prise open and pliers to pinch shut but it may just work. I do alterations and this has worked on many occasions and saved people quite a bit of money.Worth a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to julie toots For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
oldwiring
Old 25-03-2008, 4:51 PM

Actually we tried julie's suggestion before reading it, and it has worked. Mystery is how the failure came about as I don't recall stepping on it ot anything similar happening. Thanks all!
Closed Thread