Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > MoneySavers Arms > The Money Savers Arms > Average quarterly gas/elec bill? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Average quarterly gas/elec bill?
Closed Thread
Views: 21,431
# 1
Graham_Devon
Old 21-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Average quarterly gas/elec bill?

Just looking for what others are paying really.

I live on my own, 2 bedroom house, out at work most days and away at least one weekend a month. Only have electricty, do not use the heating in the house, instead use only 2 of those oil filled radiators which are left on all day as otherwise house would be freezing!

Bill for electric for one quarter has come in at £344.98

Just wondering what others pay really, but if you have gas & electric, you would need to combine the two.

I can't save much more in terms of electric, nothings on that I don't need on, hardly cook, energy bulbs everywhere.

So would this type of bill be normal for one person living in the house, out all day and some weekends not here at all (so heating goes off), and cooks on a rare occasion!?

How are families of four paying their electric bills?!
# 2
studentphil
Old 21-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Gas bill of 150 quid came yesterday.
# 3
pipkin71
Old 21-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Currently £135 per quater for both gas and electric, but that will most likely increase. Electric definitely will, gas may even out due summer months.

We use a portable calor gas heater which does cut down on the amount of gas we use.
# 4
Graham_Devon
Old 21-03-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipkin71 View Post
Currently £135 per quater for both gas and electric, but that will most likely increase. Electric definitely will, gas may even out due summer months.

We use a portable calor gas heater which does cut down on the amount of gas we use.
So is that £270 per quarter, or £135 per quarter for both?

If so, how I'm consuming nearly 3x as much as you and your 2 children who are all in a lot more than me I really do not know!!
# 5
iceicebaby
Old 21-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Mine was 97 for the gas and 67 for the electric

i am the same as you, I have a 2 bed house, am out at work all day and away some weekends. I have my heating coming on in the morning for an hour and in the evening for a couple of hours when I am here.

Your bill seems really high graham
Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iceicebaby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
splishsplash
Old 21-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would think most of your bill is due to your two oil-filled radiators... they use a HUGE amount of electricity. They're usually around a 2k output, so if you're leaving them on all day, you're bleeding money through them.

In my electricity calculator, 2 oil-filled radiators run for 10 hours/day each costs over €180 per month.
Storage heaters would be a much cheaper option, especially if you can get nightsaver rates... it would come to approx €60pm on my calculator (based on unit price of €0.0795)
If you see someone crying, ask if it's because of their haircut.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to splishsplash For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
HariboJunkie
Old 21-03-2008, 11:38 AM

Location: On the stairs picking up toys before someone breaks their neck.

My direct debit for gas and electric is £170 per month.

We use real fires to heat the house so have coal bill on top of that. Heat the bedrooms before bed with electric heaters for an hour. No tumble drier, A rated energy efficient appliances and energy saving bulbs. House is well insulated, loft has been lagged, all things switched off at the wall when not in use. Thick curtains and draught excluders on every door and window and it just keeps costing more. This, rising food costs and the petrol prices are beginning to cripple us. Ww have spent the last year cutting back on everything and we're still worse off. :rolleyes:
I've tried gardening, yoga, meditation and medication and I still want to scream.

Saved in 2012 £6087. Saved so far in 2013 £500.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HariboJunkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Graham_Devon
Old 21-03-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceicebaby View Post
Mine was 97 for the gas and 67 for the electric

i am the same as you, I have a 2 bed house, am out at work all day and away some weekends. I have my heating coming on in the morning for an hour and in the evening for a couple of hours when I am here.

Your bill seems really high graham
It's probably the heating then in that case. I'm using 21 more hours of it every single day.

But they are on low, on number 1 (highest is 3) and oil filled radiators, the smaller ones. Bought them as no central heating in here, and the ones on the wall are 2kw, the oil filled ones are 500w. Hence why I use them instead of the ones on the wall!

But, if I turn them off, after a couple of hours, hands start to go cold, nose is cold, if it's cold out that is. So always have them on low when the weathers cold.

Guess thats my expenditure and gonna have to look at that, and do something about it and take this bill on the chin. But I dunno how to keep warm if I don't have some kind of heating on!

Don't have things like tumble dryers or anything. Bit confused that I have to sit here freezing or face these bills!
# 9
skylight
Old 21-03-2008, 11:39 AM

I pay approx £200 per qtr - but the winter bill was £285. This is for Gas and Electric in an end-terrace with cavitiy wall insulation, 2-bed 5 people and I am at home all day with the little ones so the heating tends to be on a lot of the time.

Just changed supplier to Ebico as they were way cheaper for gas than Eon. Only had the cavity wall insulation fitted last summer and I have used almost 20% less gas than this time last year (but prices increases meant no real reduction in cost!)
The Following User Says Thank You to skylight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
pipkin71
Old 21-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Devon View Post
So is that £270 per quarter, or £135 per quarter for both?

If so, how I'm consuming nearly 3x as much as you and your 2 children who are all in a lot more than me I really do not know!!
At the moment I pay £15 a month for electric, but this will definitely increase and £30 for gas. so it's £135 per quater.

We have gas blow air heating, hot water and cooker. The heating goes on to warm the house, then we fall back on the bottled gas. [Friend works for company so we get bottle at cost, rather than paying public price]

I'm in credit with gas - pay by DD - so our usage will even out, and although prices will rise, I don't think our DD will.

As for the electric, on our last bill, I was just a few pence in credit [also pay this by DD, so that will definitely rise, not only because of the increase in cost, but because I am using more than £15 a month in electricity. I don't know by how much it will rise though.
The Following User Says Thank You to pipkin71 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
HariboJunkie
Old 21-03-2008, 11:40 AM

Location: On the stairs picking up toys before someone breaks their neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Devon View Post
It's probably the heating then in that case. I'm using 21 more hours of it every single day.

But they are on low, on number 1 (highest is 3) and oil filled radiators, the smaller ones. Bought them as no central heating in here, and the ones on the wall are 2kw, the oil filled ones are 500w. Hence why I use them instead of the ones on the wall!

But, if I turn them off, after a couple of hours, hands start to go cold, nose is cold, if it's cold out that is. So always have them on low when the weathers cold.

Guess thats my expenditure and gonna have to look at that, and do something about it and take this bill on the chin. But I dunno how to keep warm if I don't have some kind of heating on!

Don't have things like tumble dryers or anything. Bit confused that I have to sit here freezing or face these bills!

Extra clothes. Blankets on the bed and stopping draughts.
I've tried gardening, yoga, meditation and medication and I still want to scream.

Saved in 2012 £6087. Saved so far in 2013 £500.
The Following User Says Thank You to HariboJunkie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
King Weasel
Old 21-03-2008, 11:40 AM

But why is your bill high? Suggest you look at units consumed as well as bottom line.

Could be (1) you're a little extravagant with your consumption (though you don't sound it), (2) your supplier is over-estimating your consumption, (3) meter fault or (4) expensive supplier.

Personally, I take my own quarterly readings, just to see how I'm doing.
However hard up you are, never accept loans from your friends. Just gifts
The Following User Says Thank You to King Weasel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Graham_Devon
Old 21-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splishsplash View Post
I would think most of your bill is due to your two oil-filled radiators... they use a HUGE amount of electricity. They're usually around a 2k output, so if you're leaving them on all day, you're bleeding money through them.

In my electricity calculator, 2 oil-filled radiators run for 10 hours/day each costs over €180 per month.
Storage heaters would be a much cheaper option, especially if you can get nightsaver rates... it would come to approx €60pm on my calculator (based on unit price of €0.0795)
I have 2 storage heaters downstairs, upstairs 3 electric wall heaters.

Storage heaters downstairs do not work thanks to last owners who took out their tempers on them (and pretty much everything else in the house).

Right, so cool, it's deffo oil filled radiators.

Anyone any suggestions? Replace storage heaters and use them? Dunno how much they would cost, probably more than a years current usage!
# 14
pipkin71
Old 21-03-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylight View Post
Just changed supplier to Ebico as they were way cheaper for gas than Eon. Only had the cavity wall insulation fitted last summer and I have used almost 20% less gas than this time last year (but prices increases meant no real reduction in cost!)
Yes, we had our cavity walls done last summer, and I have noticed we used less gas heating over this winter.

Pipkin xxxx
# 15
Graham_Devon
Old 21-03-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariboJunkie View Post
Extra clothes. Blankets on the bed and stopping draughts.
I sit with 2 t-shirts and a jumper on at times, no kidding!

Me thinks me needs to do something and take this bill on the chin and learn from that oil filled mistake!!

Used to be on pre-pay so was 50 quid here and there, didnt notice it as much, but hated the pre-pay which I inherited.

Off to turn those heaters off

Last edited by Graham_Devon; 21-03-2008 at 11:46 AM.
# 16
Graham_Devon
Old 21-03-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Weasel View Post
But why is your bill high? Suggest you look at units consumed as well as bottom line.

Could be (1) you're a little extravagant with your consumption (though you don't sound it), (2) your supplier is over-estimating your consumption, (3) meter fault or (4) expensive supplier.

Personally, I take my own quarterly readings, just to see how I'm doing.
1. Not really
2. Not over estimating, just checked earlier as disregarded bill when it came in as was estimation, actually used 2803 daytime and 1608 nightime units since 28th Nov 2007.
3. Wouldnt know if there was a meter fault.
4. EDF, was the cheapest 6 months ago.

As for cavity wall and all that stuff, would cost me nearly a grand to have done. Not very saving for me!
# 17
Kimberley
Old 21-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipkin71 View Post
At the moment I pay £15 a month for electric
£15 a month for electric?

How comes? I pay £10 per week for my lecky and £10 per week in Gas. I have a 3 bedroom house for myself and 3 children.
Australia 2016
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
splishsplash
Old 21-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you can, invest in putting in a central heating system. It's the cheapest form of heating, assuming your house is well insulated. Ok, the initial outlay is big, but it pays for itself immediately in terms of blessed warmth and comfort! Running costs are waaayyy cheaper than heaters of any sort also...
If you see someone crying, ask if it's because of their haircut.
The Following User Says Thank You to splishsplash For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
skylight
Old 21-03-2008, 11:56 AM

There are a lot of grants available for cavity wall insulation and loft insulation etc. It may be worth checking that out.

What are your windows like? Silly question, but ours are double glazed with a vent in them. If you leave the vent open there is a real draught! If standard glazed are your curtains thick enough? Our front door is the biggest draught problem, being a wooden one with terrible insulation round it. I would love to change this to a UPVc but it will take a while saving! I bought some insulation squidgy stuff cheap from Wilkinsons for around the door and a heavy curtain helped with the draughts.

The problem is, if you need the heat then turning off the heaters will become a false economy - you'll get colds, off work etc!
The Following User Says Thank You to skylight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
iceicebaby
Old 21-03-2008, 11:58 AM

Graham sounds like you need to replace those storage heaters hun.

Might cost a bit, but you need to speculate to accululate in this case!
Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com!
The Following User Says Thank You to iceicebaby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread