Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Mar 08, 11:39 AM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    TV Licence article Discussion
    • 18th Mar 08, 11:39 AM
    TV Licence article Discussion 18th Mar 08 at 11:39 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:08 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 132
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 2nd Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 9,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Am I allowed to watch BBC content on Youtube? Either on any of the BBC Youtube channels or on any other Youtube channels?
    Originally posted by waterman3
    Yes - you can watch any video on demand content on Youtube without a Licence. (Live content is more complicated).

Am I allowed to go to a friend's house, download a programme on the bbc iplayer app on my phone and watch it back at my house?
    Yes. The app will ask whether you have a Licence - just answer yes, on behalf of your friend.

Am I allowed to go to a friend's house go into the iplayer app on my phone and cast it to their tv on their chromecast?
    Yes.

Am I allowed to watch live streams on Youtube? Either American TV or any other live content?
    Any live streams of UK channels definitely require a TV Licence to view via Youtube (or any other platform). Live streams that are not related to a TV channel are free to view without a Licence.

TVL's position on live streams of foreign TV channels is confused and unclear. Having read the legislation, my view is that a Licence is not needed.

I have a Now TV box. I assume the mere fact that it has an iplayer app (even though I won't use it) doesn't mean i need a licence.
    Correct. You can (and should ideally) delete the iPlayer app from a Now TV box. You should never use the live players on the box for any channel.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • waterman3
    • By waterman3 2nd Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    waterman3
    Yes - you can watch any video on demand content on Youtube without a Licence. (Live content is more complicated).

Yes. The app will ask whether you have a Licence - just answer yes, on behalf of your friend.

Yes.

Any live streams of UK channels definitely require a TV Licence to view via Youtube (or any other platform). Live streams that are not related to a TV channel are free to view without a Licence.

TVL's position on live streams of foreign TV channels is confused and unclear. Having read the legislation, my view is that a Licence is not needed.

Correct. You can (and should ideally) delete the iPlayer app from a Now TV box. You should never use the live players on the box for any channel.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Thanks for your help. I thought maybe I wouldn't be able to watch BBC content on Youtube but that's good that I can. I like watching the Andrew Marr Show and there's always clips of that on Youtube soon after broadcast that are uploaded by folk, so I wouldn't really be missing out.

I meant to ask, I assume I couldn't download an iplayer programme on my phone at home and then watch it outwith my home?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 2nd Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 9,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I thought maybe I wouldn't be able to watch BBC content on Youtube but that's good that I can.
    Originally posted by waterman3
    The rules that were introduced in 2016 revolve around video-on-demand services that are owned and operated by the BBC. Since that doesn't include Youtube, it doesn't require a Licence.

I meant to ask, I assume I couldn't download an iplayer programme on my phone at home and then watch it outwith my home?
    No, that's not allowed.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 02-02-2018 at 7:48 PM.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • GlennTheBaker
    • By GlennTheBaker 5th Feb 18, 8:49 AM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    GlennTheBaker
    We have not watched any live TV for months so have taken the decision to be LLF and I have just cancelled my direct debit to TV Licensing. We never use BBC iPlayer and only watch shows on demand via Amazon Prime or Now TV through a games console as well as DVDs and Blu-rays. I have deleted the iPlayer app from the console, removed the connection from the aerial to the TV and detuned the TV channels. I have also blocked iPlayer on my router. I am not going to bother informing TVL as, from what I understand, they end up hassling you anyway but can anyone tell me if I have missed anything?

Thanks.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 9,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    That sounds very comprehensive.

The only other thing is to ensure that every adult member of the household understands that there is no TV Licence, understands that they should not speak with anyone from TV Licensing (since that is your expressed preference), and understand that they have the legal right to decline entry to the premises to TV Licensing and to decline to be interviewed under caution.

Watch out for underhand tactics by TV Licensing like confusing interview under caution with a Licence application, and the infamous "sign here to say I called" subterfuge that to their eternal shame gets converted into a confession that is then taken through the prosecution process.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 05-02-2018 at 5:59 PM.

• FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Watch out for underhand tactics by TV Licensing
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Or the open ended questions - I got asked "What was the last programme you watched on TV ?".... If I had been honest and mentioned stuff I'd watched at a friend's house, I'd probably be looking at an interview under caution by now. Instead, all he got was "no comment", "none of your business", and "no" to the questions.

Don't tell them your name, refuse to answer any questions, and certainly do not let them in to the house should they ever call.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 9,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Or the open ended questions - I got asked "What was the last programme you watched on TV ?".... If I had been honest and mentioned stuff I'd watched at a friend's house, I'd probably be looking at an interview under caution by now. Instead, all he got was "no comment", "none of your business", and "no" to the questions.
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    Indeed, several of the questions on their interview form are not specific enough to accurately distinguish offending behaviour from innocuous. The form itself has legal issues, too, it being unclear what it legally is (and its content being seemingly incompatible with any of the options). The best guess is that it is a hybrid of Record of Interview, and Interviewer's Notes - however it is not clear that that is a valid possibility within the law (because of the confusion between comments entered by the Interviewer and responses from the Interviewee). There are also PACE issues with the entire process.

All of which I personally think are good reasons not to speak with them.

Don't tell them your name, refuse to answer any questions, and certainly do not let them in to the house should they ever call.
    I have previously summarised these as the 6 "S"s...

- Shut the door,
    - Say nothing,
    - Sign nothing,
    - right to Silence,
    - right to Solicitor,
    - tell them to Sling their hook
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 05-02-2018 at 6:11 PM.

• JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 6th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 11,534 Posts
    • 11,179 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    We have not watched any live TV for months so have taken the decision to be LLF and I have just cancelled my direct debit to TV Licensing.
    I am not going to bother informing TVL as, from what I understand, they end up hassling you anyway but can anyone tell me if I have missed anything?
    Originally posted by GlennTheBaker
    Yes, you've missed out on a potential refund by not telling them.
    Remember that your direct debit pays for your licence part in advance and part in arrears.
    Which means there is a chance that they now owe you money.
    • Northway79
    • By Northway79 16th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Northway79
    I have been paying more on my TV licence over the past year and about September 2017 I had £22.50 to pay

Due to ill health problems I haven't made another payment because I was well ahead with my payments I allowed it to run down

About 2 weeks ago I received a debt collection letter for £20 as I hadn't paid my TV licence since September 2017

I duly paid the £20 which left £2.50 to pay

All this for a TV Licence which starts next year because I am so far ahead with my payments

With the worry of a debt collection for £20 and having to contact phone numbers to avoid further charges my health worsened during this time
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 16th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 9,493 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I have been paying more on my TV licence over the past year and about September 2017 I had £22.50 to pay

Due to ill health problems I haven't made another payment because I was well ahead with my payments I allowed it to run down

About 2 weeks ago I received a debt collection letter for £20 as I hadn't paid my TV licence since September 2017

I duly paid the £20 which left £2.50 to pay

All this for a TV Licence which starts next year because I am so far ahead with my payments

With the worry of a debt collection for £20 and having to contact phone numbers to avoid further charges my health worsened during this time
    Originally posted by Northway79
    Sorry to hear that your health has deteriorated over TV Licensing stupidity.

To echo that warning, though, this is not the first time I have heard of a TV Licensing pre-payment account where payments are missing, but the overall account is not in arrears being handed-off to a Debt Collector.

Debt is not an area I know much about, so I don't know if this approach is legal or not. (It certainly doesn't sound right).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 16-02-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,300Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter