Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Mar 08, 11:39 AM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    TV Licence article Discussion
    • 18th Mar 08, 11:39 AM
    TV Licence article Discussion 18th Mar 08 at 11:39 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:08 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 131
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 9,522 Posts
    • 9,112 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    If someone watch internet TV using their computer, can the BBC trace their details though the ISP?
    Originally posted by Blue_Max
    You need a TV Licence to watch the Internet-streamed versions of live TV channels from the UK.

You don't need a TV Licence to watch catch-up, video-on-demand and non-UK TV channels via the Internet.

Sorry, but I don't think MSE would want info of possible assistance to Licence evaders to be published here.

There was a bit of a row last year about Wifi sniffing by the BBC, but it turned out to be a hoax.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Blue_Max
    • By Blue_Max 8th Nov 17, 9:19 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Blue_Max
    But, thankfully, it's not mine or Cornucopia's money they are wasting.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Read somewhere that according to the BBC's 2013/14 Annual Report BBC received
    £244.6 million from government grants.

So inappropriate spending BBC does cost the taxpayers.
    • Blue_Max
    • By Blue_Max 8th Nov 17, 9:25 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Blue_Max
    You need a TV Licence to watch the Internet-streamed versions of live TV channels from the UK.

You don't need a TV Licence to watch catch-up, video-on-demand and non-UK TV channels via the Internet.

Sorry, but I don't think MSE would want info of possible assistance to Licence evaders to be published here.

There was a bit of a row last year about Wifi sniffing by the BBC, but it turned out to be a hoax.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Cornucopia, I asked the question not to evade licence.
    I was trying to find out if ISPs are obliged to give account info to 3rd party companies. If so, that is a concern.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Nov 17, 10:16 PM
    • 9,522 Posts
    • 9,112 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Cornucopia, I asked the question not to evade licence.
    I was trying to find out if ISPs are obliged to give account info to 3rd party companies. If so, that is a concern.
    Okay. The answer is also somewhat complicated.

The BBC has been instructed to begin obtaining subscriber details from Pay TV companies. Obviously, most of those companies are also ISPs. So, we're reliant on that process working properly to confine details solely to Pay TV subscribers. I don't think it's started yet.

Historically, BBC-TVL has also had the option to subpoena Pay TV package details from Pay TV providers for an individual evader who has been identified. I don't know the exact mechanics or timing of this.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 9th Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    • 9,522 Posts
    • 9,112 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Read somewhere that according to the BBC's 2013/14 Annual Report BBC received
    £244.6 million from government grants.

So inappropriate spending BBC does cost the taxpayers.
    Yes, for the time being.

The main source of Government funding is the subsidy of the Free Over-75 Licences. This funding is being phased out, and Licence Fee payers will ultimately cover that cost.

• Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 4th Dec 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Chomeur
    If you just listen to BBC programs but don't watch them is that OK to do without a licence? Quite natural to do this with the news for instance.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 4th Dec 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    If you just listen to BBC programs but don't watch them is that OK to do without a licence? Quite natural to do this with the news for instance.
    Originally posted by Chomeur

Do you mean listening on the radio ? If so then you don't need a licence ( assuming it's a standard FM / DAB / whatever radio ). But if you've got the news showing on your TV and just listening to it but not watching, then yes you do need a licence.

In the olden days you used to need a radio licence to listen to the radio, but that was abolished a long time ago.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Dec 17, 6:49 PM
    • 9,522 Posts
    • 9,112 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    If you had, say, a Freeview Box connected to a Hifi to play sound only, and no TV, then that wouldn't require a Licence.

• Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 4th Dec 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Chomeur
    Do you mean listening on the radio ? If so then you don't need a licence ( assuming it's a standard FM / DAB / whatever radio ). But if you've got the news showing on your TV and just listening to it but not watching, then yes you do need a licence.

In the olden days you used to need a radio licence to listen to the radio, but that was abolished a long time ago.
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    I was thinking of tv broadcasts which are accessible through the BBC News website.

What's your authority for saying that a licence is required? I would imagine that the relevant legislation refers to "watching".
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 9,522 Posts
    • 9,112 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I was thinking of tv broadcasts which are accessible through the BBC News website.
    Originally posted by Chomeur
    Which ones? The news clips that play in a small window, and are not branded with a Channel name or with iPlayer, do not require a Licence to view.

What's your authority for saying that a licence is required? I would imagine that the relevant legislation refers to "watching".
    The legislation refers to "installation and use".

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin