Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Mar 08, 11:39 AM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    TV Licence article Discussion
    • 18th Mar 08, 11:39 AM
    TV Licence article Discussion 18th Mar 08 at 11:39 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:08 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 128
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 21st Apr 17, 8:45 PM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The easiest approach is probably for LLF people to avoid BBC video content altogether, although I'm conscious that that isn't a very helpful answer.

The law talks about an "online programme service operated by the BBC". I don't think that these apps or free-standing videos are a "programme service", but IANAL.

The bigger clue, perhaps, is that they don't ask you whether you have a Licence or not (iPlayer does).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 21st Apr 17, 8:57 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Block iPlayer
    A TV Licence is only required if you are watching Live TV or iPlayer.

BBC Radio, World Service etc are free to the world, you will find media is stored elsewhere.

Download the app if it is required

As a precaution disable the iplayer by adding the URL's below to your Broadband Router, first one should be enough but the otthers will make sure.

Then any attempt to load iPlayer content fails, it may appear to start but no video is loaded.

Disable your SSID while you are there as TVL Goons latest gadget is recording SSID's

bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/*
    www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/*
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
    www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
    bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

BTW WTF IS LLF

https://www.internetslang.com/LLF-meaning-definition.asp
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 21st Apr 17, 9:11 PM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    BTW WTF IS LLF
    Originally posted by EdwardB
    Legally Licence-free.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • LiminalSpace99
    • By LiminalSpace99 17th May 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LiminalSpace99
    Hi
    Number 5 You don't need a licence for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube and more
    But I can stream Sky News Live on Youtube... So, do I need a licence?
    Many thanks
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th May 17, 2:03 PM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Hi
    Number 5 You don't need a licence for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube and more
    But I can stream Sky News Live on Youtube... So, do I need a licence?
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by LiminalSpace99
    If it's the same as Sky News TV channel (on Freeview/Satellite) then yes, you need a Licence.

There are various News clips/newsreel services that you don't need a Licence for.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,974Posts Today

12,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin