Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Incapacity benefit 2010 new rules (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Incapacity benefit 2010 new rules
Closed Thread
Views: 10,498
# 1
nogginthenog
Old 14-03-2008, 9:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Incapacity benefit 2010 new rules

Hi
Has anybody yet managed to digest the finer points of the new incapacity rules mentioned in the budget this week which will start in 2010.
From what i gathered it will now be a case of what you can do, as opposed to what you can't do!
Also their may be no long form filling, just straight to a person or persons who will decide what you can or can't do.
Is that about right? or is it to early to say.
The Following User Says Thank You to nogginthenog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
snoop2008
Old 14-03-2008, 9:58 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hey in a nutshell thats about it, but I do feel its a lot more than meets the eye!!! check out the link about the changes due to take place this october. hope this helps!!

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f32.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to snoop2008 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
two_sheds
Old 17-03-2008, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ... so what difference does this new legislation make?
# 4
Torry Quine
Old 17-03-2008, 1:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_sheds View Post
People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ..
I have been on Incapaciity Benefit for many years and don't have to see someone every year so don't know where you are getting your information from.
I get a form to complete at regular intervals and have only been called for a medical on a couple of occassions but of course this may change! :rolleyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry Quine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
healy
Old 17-03-2008, 2:34 PM

Quote:
People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ... so what difference does this new legislation make?
As it stands at the moment some people are exempt and do not have to go for an assessment and others go for one every year and others every two years and so on.
The Following User Says Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
baccyman
Old 17-03-2008, 8:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i am a disabled person who has been getting DLA and i am getting the feeling that with these new rules coming in, the people that are doing the assessing are going to be saying that people are fit to work when they are not fit to work,
from what i have heard the assessors are going to be from private companys and will get paid for the amount of people they can get off the sickness benifits,
what has been happening in the last couple of years makes me feel that the sick are being used as a scapegoat by the government and a lot of genuine sick people are going to suffer financial and mental hardship with the worry that we might be kicked off of our benifits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to baccyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
candygirl
Old 17-03-2008, 8:22 PM

I might be wrong but are the rules different in Scotland?:confused:
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
# 8
jac/norm
Old 17-03-2008, 8:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I agree with baccyman that the sick are being used as scapegoats and the media just don`t help at all. Every time we turn the tv on some one is going on about the ib and the amount of people that are on it and it needs to be reduced. Well thats all well and good if the people concerned are well enough but, if people with no medical experience are making the decisions to take others off the sick where will it end.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jac/norm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
nogginthenog
Old 17-03-2008, 9:54 PM

Quote:
I have been on IB for 8 years,never seen a IB doctor yet!
Although i have been examined by a DLA doctor in the past and somehow the incapacity people had a copy of the DLA'S doctors report.
# 10
stazi
Old 17-03-2008, 9:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

noggingthenog

If you are on DLA High Care, then you are exempt from the IB medical called PCA. The IB section don't see your DLA medical report, they have no need to.
If you are not on DLA High Care, then the IB section will be contacting your GP directly for an upto date clinical report, and deciding the PCA on that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stazi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
cant-find-free-username
Old 28-10-2008, 7:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
this week which will start in 2010.
Where have you heard its 2010?

I have been on IB for a couple of years now and amazingly, one day after they introduce the new systems (today) I get a phone call telling me I have to go to a medical in 6 days time.

I thought they said it was to replace new claimants, then rolled out at a later date to existing ones?
# 12
healy
Old 28-10-2008, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant-find-free-username View Post

I have been on IB for a couple of years now and amazingly, one day after they introduce the new systems (today) I get a phone call telling me I have to go to a medical in 6 days time.

I thought they said it was to replace new claimants, then rolled out at a later date to existing ones?
The new ESA and test that goes with it is for new claimants, you will have the usual PCA medical that is still being used for current claimants.
# 13
woodbine
Old 28-10-2008, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant-find-free-username View Post

I assume you recently filled in an IB50,I/B is reviewed on a regular basis
~~~JOHN~~~

# 14
woodbine
Old 28-10-2008, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Sorry but thats not how it works,some are reviewed every year others every 2 mine is every 5,depends on the condition and if how soon/long they think it might take you to get better,if at all
~~~JOHN~~~

# 15
sharski
Old 29-10-2008, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Basically... to clarify a couple of points raised... if you have been claiming IB before Jobcentre became Jobcentre Plus (check the date for your local area as each 'rolled out, at a different time), you are NOT eligible to attend ANY mandatory appts. If you claimed after that time, you will have had your initial WFI (& the 5 repeats following that, if applicable) - now you will only be required to attend a 'trigger' meeting every 3 years AND/OR if you pass a medical.....
Under ESA, unless you are in the 'support group' (i.e. there is NO way you could do ANY type of work) you will HAVE to attend an initial WFI, 5 others & any trigger meeting as above.
Those in the support group DO NOT have to attend any mandatory WFI at the JC!!

Hope this helps - any questions, please ask...
# 16
littlelegs2008
Old 30-10-2008, 10:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

my husband s registered disabled and has been for 19 years. He was signed of work in june. Claimed IB, and now he has to attend these back to work meetings, and now they are trying to find him a job even though there is a valid medical certificate in place. He has worked for the same firm since leaving school, and is not trained in any other trade.
I laughed last week as they found him a job on a temp ice rink (my husband is not allowed on the ice as he has a failed hip replacement)
I think the new system s ridicilous.
# 17
wendygn
Old 18-11-2010, 2:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My husband has just had his assessment and it came back as having 0 points, so he's now got to go onto job seeker's allowance. He has problems with his inner ear which affect his balance and he also suffers from panic attacks. Whilst he was being assessed, he was shaking and ended up collapsing on the floor. The doctor who wrote the report had to get him to sit down and got him a glass of water. How can they give him 0 points when the proof was seen before their eyes. Furthermore, they've just stopped his money there and then. It'll probably take a week or two before his job seeker's allowance comes into play and with bills to pay and christmas coming up, it couldn't have come at a worse time.
# 18
Mojisola
Old 18-11-2010, 3:20 PM

My son has just had help from the council's Welfare Advisors to fill in his IB50. They have warned him to expect to be declared fit for work as that is their experience at the moment. It means they are having to take many extra people through the appeals process which is really stretching the service they can offer new people.
# 19
JS477
Old 18-11-2010, 3:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Was this an IB or an ESA medical? However you can appeal the decision to award your husband 0 points, you use a GL24 Here

It may be a good idea if you were to request a copy of the medical assessment that the "healthcare" professional submitted to the DWP's Decision Maker to check for accuracy and to decide if you should have been awarded points when you were given no points. It has been known for Atos assessment reports to contain a "few" discrepancies!!

Whilst appealing, you can if your husband wishes remain on ESA, though at a reduced rate i.e. the assessment rate.
# 20
Barneysmom
Old 18-11-2010, 3:25 PM

I wonder where all these jobs are going to appear from..
Closed Thread