Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • snoop2008
    • By snoop2008 14th Mar 08, 9:58 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    snoop2008
    • 14th Mar 08, 9:58 AM
    • 14th Mar 08, 9:58 AM
    Hey in a nutshell thats about it, but I do feel its a lot more than meets the eye!!! check out the link about the changes due to take place this october. hope this helps!!

http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f32.htm
  • two_sheds
    • 17th Mar 08, 1:42 PM
    • 17th Mar 08, 1:42 PM
    People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ... so what difference does this new legislation make?
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 17th Mar 08, 1:58 PM
    • 16,286 Posts
    • 24,639 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 17th Mar 08, 1:58 PM
    • 17th Mar 08, 1:58 PM
    People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ..
    Originally posted by two_sheds
    I have been on Incapaciity Benefit for many years and don't have to see someone every year so don't know where you are getting your information from.
    I get a form to complete at regular intervals and have only been called for a medical on a couple of occassions but of course this may change! :rolleyes:
    • healy
    • By healy 17th Mar 08, 2:34 PM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    healy
    • 17th Mar 08, 2:34 PM
    • 17th Mar 08, 2:34 PM
    People on Incap already have to see a "person" every year to continue on the benefit ... so what difference does this new legislation make?
    As it stands at the moment some people are exempt and do not have to go for an assessment and others go for one every year and others every two years and so on.
    • baccyman
    • By baccyman 17th Mar 08, 8:18 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    baccyman
    • 17th Mar 08, 8:18 PM
    • 17th Mar 08, 8:18 PM
    i am a disabled person who has been getting DLA and i am getting the feeling that with these new rules coming in, the people that are doing the assessing are going to be saying that people are fit to work when they are not fit to work,
    from what i have heard the assessors are going to be from private companys and will get paid for the amount of people they can get off the sickness benifits,
    what has been happening in the last couple of years makes me feel that the sick are being used as a scapegoat by the government and a lot of genuine sick people are going to suffer financial and mental hardship with the worry that we might be kicked off of our benifits.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 17th Mar 08, 8:22 PM
    • 25,117 Posts
    • 100,444 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 17th Mar 08, 8:22 PM
    • 17th Mar 08, 8:22 PM
    I might be wrong but are the rules different in Scotland?:confused:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
  • jac/norm
    • 17th Mar 08, 8:26 PM
    • 17th Mar 08, 8:26 PM
    I agree with baccyman that the sick are being used as scapegoats and the media just don`t help at all. Every time we turn the tv on some one is going on about the ib and the amount of people that are on it and it needs to be reduced. Well thats all well and good if the people concerned are well enough but, if people with no medical experience are making the decisions to take others off the sick where will it end.
  • nogginthenog
    • 17th Mar 08, 9:54 PM
    • 17th Mar 08, 9:54 PM
    I have been on IB for 8 years,never seen a IB doctor yet!
    Although i have been examined by a DLA doctor in the past and somehow the incapacity people had a copy of the DLA'S doctors report.
    • stazi
    • By stazi 17th Mar 08, 9:59 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    stazi
    noggingthenog

If you are on DLA High Care, then you are exempt from the IB medical called PCA. The IB section don't see your DLA medical report, they have no need to.
    If you are not on DLA High Care, then the IB section will be contacting your GP directly for an upto date clinical report, and deciding the PCA on that.
  • cant-find-free-username
    this week which will start in 2010.
    Originally posted by nogginthenog
    Where have you heard its 2010?

I have been on IB for a couple of years now and amazingly, one day after they introduce the new systems (today) I get a phone call telling me I have to go to a medical in 6 days time.

I thought they said it was to replace new claimants, then rolled out at a later date to existing ones?
    • healy
    • By healy 28th Oct 08, 8:21 PM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    healy

I have been on IB for a couple of years now and amazingly, one day after they introduce the new systems (today) I get a phone call telling me I have to go to a medical in 6 days time.

I thought they said it was to replace new claimants, then rolled out at a later date to existing ones?
    Originally posted by cant-find-free-username
    The new ESA and test that goes with it is for new claimants, you will have the usual PCA medical that is still being used for current claimants.
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 28th Oct 08, 9:00 PM
    • 18,345 Posts
    • 24,709 Thanks
    woodbine

Originally posted by cant-find-free-username
    I assume you recently filled in an IB50,I/B is reviewed on a regular basis
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 28th Oct 08, 9:02 PM
    • 18,345 Posts
    • 24,709 Thanks
    woodbine
    Sorry but thats not how it works,some are reviewed every year others every 2 mine is every 5,depends on the condition and if how soon/long they think it might take you to get better,if at all
  • sharski
    Basically... to clarify a couple of points raised... if you have been claiming IB before Jobcentre became Jobcentre Plus (check the date for your local area as each 'rolled out, at a different time), you are NOT eligible to attend ANY mandatory appts. If you claimed after that time, you will have had your initial WFI (& the 5 repeats following that, if applicable) - now you will only be required to attend a 'trigger' meeting every 3 years AND/OR if you pass a medical.....
    Under ESA, unless you are in the 'support group' (i.e. there is NO way you could do ANY type of work) you will HAVE to attend an initial WFI, 5 others & any trigger meeting as above.
    Those in the support group DO NOT have to attend any mandatory WFI at the JC!!

Hope this helps - any questions, please ask...
  • littlelegs2008
    my husband s registered disabled and has been for 19 years. He was signed of work in june. Claimed IB, and now he has to attend these back to work meetings, and now they are trying to find him a job even though there is a valid medical certificate in place. He has worked for the same firm since leaving school, and is not trained in any other trade.
    I laughed last week as they found him a job on a temp ice rink (my husband is not allowed on the ice as he has a failed hip replacement)
    I think the new system s ridicilous.
  • wendygn
    My husband has just had his assessment and it came back as having 0 points, so he's now got to go onto job seeker's allowance. He has problems with his inner ear which affect his balance and he also suffers from panic attacks. Whilst he was being assessed, he was shaking and ended up collapsing on the floor. The doctor who wrote the report had to get him to sit down and got him a glass of water. How can they give him 0 points when the proof was seen before their eyes. Furthermore, they've just stopped his money there and then. It'll probably take a week or two before his job seeker's allowance comes into play and with bills to pay and christmas coming up, it couldn't have come at a worse time.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 18th Nov 10, 3:20 PM
    • 25,944 Posts
    • 66,624 Thanks
    Mojisola
    My son has just had help from the council's Welfare Advisors to fill in his IB50. They have warned him to expect to be declared fit for work as that is their experience at the moment. It means they are having to take many extra people through the appeals process which is really stretching the service they can offer new people.
    • JS477
    • By JS477 18th Nov 10, 3:21 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    JS477
    Was this an IB or an ESA medical? However you can appeal the decision to award your husband 0 points, you use a GL24 Here

It may be a good idea if you were to request a copy of the medical assessment that the "healthcare" professional submitted to the DWP's Decision Maker to check for accuracy and to decide if you should have been awarded points when you were given no points. It has been known for Atos assessment reports to contain a "few" discrepancies!!

Whilst appealing, you can if your husband wishes remain on ESA, though at a reduced rate i.e. the assessment rate.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 18th Nov 10, 3:25 PM
    • 9,457 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    I wonder where all these jobs are going to appear from..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,303Posts Today

7,083Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin