Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jrangi
    Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number?
    • 13th Mar 08, 11:35 AM
    Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number? 13th Mar 08 at 11:35 AM
    Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum - therefore apologies if it is not.

Anyway I am landlord, a potential tenant came to have a look at a house on his day off work - he is looking to relocate and is moving from around 200 miles away. Anyway he liked the place and wants to move into my property in around a month. I said to the chap it is currently advertised and I will get other calls, therefore cannot take your word and will need 200 to reserve the house for you. He stated that as he lives far away, can he have my sort code and account number and he will pay the 200 - which he has now done.

I have references from the chap.

Anyway what I am slightly worried about, could I have opened myself up to potential fraud from this Chap by giving him my account details??

I did ring my bank, and the only suggestion they had is for me to take out a 6/month insurance type of scheme (which I dont really want to).
Page 1
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 13th Mar 08, 11:44 AM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 13th Mar 08, 11:44 AM
    Your sort code and account number are available on cheques and some debit cards. My Natwest card shows the sort code only and my smile card shows both. So can't see a problem really.
    The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
  • N79
    Do you ever write cheques?

If yes - stop worrying.
  • jrangi
    • 13th Mar 08, 11:47 AM
    • 13th Mar 08, 11:47 AM
    Take your point with Cheques - but cheques do not have your address on.

I am just being cautious, so dont think it will be a problem
  • Scousebird
    • 13th Mar 08, 1:09 PM
    • 13th Mar 08, 1:09 PM
    Absolutley-the only thing that the person could possibly do, is give in your account details to companies to pay utilities or charities/set up D/D's etc-and that's fraud anyway so you'd have anyone who did that-besides, i've worked in finance and banking since I was 17 and I haven'e ever seen anyone be stupid enough to try it. Or they could pay cash into your account (and who'd do that out of the blue)

I know it sounds a bit patronising here (apologies) but I just wanted to explain what COULD happen-it's perfectly safe to give out those details and by keeping an eye on the account in everyday life-should show you anything unusual!

Don't worry about it!
  • Gism0
    • 13th Mar 08, 2:24 PM
    • 13th Mar 08, 2:24 PM
    Anyone remember that story about Jeremy Clarkson? He published his account number in his newspaper column and someone signed him up for a £500/mo direct debit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm
    I work for Post Office, feel free to ask me anything!
    • DGJsaver
    • By DGJsaver 13th Mar 08, 2:35 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    DGJsaver
    • 13th Mar 08, 2:35 PM
    • 13th Mar 08, 2:35 PM
    Absolutley-the only thing that the person could possibly do, is give in your account details to companies to pay utilities or charities/set up D/D's etc-and that's fraud anyway so you'd have anyone who did that-besides, i've worked in finance and banking since I was 17 and I haven'e ever seen anyone be stupid enough to try it. Or they could pay cash into your account (and who'd do that out of the blue)

I know it sounds a bit patronising here (apologies) but I just wanted to explain what COULD happen-it's perfectly safe to give out those details and by keeping an eye on the account in everyday life-should show you anything unusual!

Don't worry about it!
    Originally posted by Scousebird
    Surely a company cant set up a DD without a signature ?
  • ShelfStacker
    • 13th Mar 08, 4:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 08, 4:23 PM
    Originally posted by DGJsaver
    Depends on the company. O2 and Sky let you do Direct Debits over the Internet, no signature needed.
  • dellwear
    • 13th Mar 08, 4:36 PM
    • 13th Mar 08, 4:36 PM
    But even if someone does, the Direct Debit guarantee will kick in and you can get the money back instantly anyway.

There's little scope for DD fraud.
    • emmy05
    • By emmy05 13th Mar 08, 4:40 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    emmy05
    Anyone remember that story about Jeremy Clarkson? He published his account number in his newspaper column and someone signed him up for a 500/mo direct debit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm
    Originally posted by Gism0

haha this didnt surprise me, i love jeremy clarkson, and how many more times is he going to be made to eat his words i wonder lol
  • Mikeyorks
    Originally posted by DGJsaver
    Look up AUDDIS - it's the automated DD setup that most large companies use.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Scousebird
    Some companies like fellow posters have said...allow D/D mandate set-ups over the phone without a signature!

But honestly you'll be fine!
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 13th Mar 08, 10:01 PM
    • 27,585 Posts
    • 15,539 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Look up AUDDIS - it's the automated DD setup that most large companies use.
    Originally posted by Mikeyorks
    It's been mandatory for all new users since the start of the year...
    With effect from 1 January 2008, the use of AUDDIS to submit Direct Debit Instructions is mandatory for all NEW service users that submit DIRECT to Bacs.

http://www.bacs.co.uk/BACS/Businesses/Direct+Debit/Services/AUDDIS/
    ...although it does mention that the originator keeps the signed DD authority. Maybe the "important - confirmation of direct debit instruction" letter the originator sends the customer (at least 10 days before the first collection) enables them to be set up without a signature?
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 14th Mar 08, 10:01 AM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    AOL and O2 take money out of my account each month and I have NEVER received a letter of confirmation , I set it up online (with o2) and over the phone (with aol). I feel a tad worried now..
    Originally posted by Atomised
    Surely they should have done and also advised the payments schedule?
    I would be asking them why.
    However, after saying that I've recently agreed to another years broadband with MAAF, paid by DD, and have had nothing from them.
    The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
    • Mark7799
    • By Mark7799 14th Mar 08, 10:27 AM
    • 4,673 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    Mark7799
    Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum - therefore apologies if it is not.

Anyway I am landlord, a potential tenant came to have a look at a house on his day off work - he is looking to relocate and is moving from around 200 miles away. Anyway he liked the place and wants to move into my property in around a month. I said to the chap it is currently advertised and I will get other calls, therefore cannot take your word and will need 200 to reserve the house for you. He stated that as he lives far away, can he have my sort code and account number and he will pay the 200 - which he has now done.

I have references from the chap.

Anyway what I am slightly worried about, could I have opened myself up to potential fraud from this Chap by giving him my account details??

I did ring my bank, and the only suggestion they had is for me to take out a 6/month insurance type of scheme (which I dont really want to).
    Originally posted by jrangi

If you asked him to pay his rent by standing order, you'd be giving him all this information anyway.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 16th Mar 08, 3:10 PM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,734 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    AOL and O2 take money out of my account each month and I have NEVER received a letter of confirmation , I set it up online (with o2) and over the phone (with aol). I feel a tad worried now..
    Originally posted by Atomised
    Which number(s) did you give them though? The sort code/account number or the 16 digit number across the middle of the card?

If the latter, then you've set up a Continuous Payment Authority (search for CPA on the boards), not a direct debit, which gives you a lot less control and protection over payments than a direct debit.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • benjus
    • By benjus 24th Aug 08, 9:19 AM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    benjus
    I have certainly set up direct debits online and over the phone. Most recently I set up a direct debit online with www.gradwell.co.uk for internet services.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,184Posts Today

4,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin