Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number?
Closed Thread
Views: 76,798
# 1
jrangi
Old 13-03-2008, 11:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number?

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum - therefore apologies if it is not.

Anyway I am landlord, a potential tenant came to have a look at a house on his day off work - he is looking to relocate and is moving from around 200 miles away. Anyway he liked the place and wants to move into my property in around a month. I said to the chap it is currently advertised and I will get other calls, therefore cannot take your word and will need £200 to reserve the house for you. He stated that as he lives far away, can he have my sort code and account number and he will pay the £200 - which he has now done.

I have references from the chap.

Anyway what I am slightly worried about, could I have opened myself up to potential fraud from this Chap by giving him my account details??

I did ring my bank, and the only suggestion they had is for me to take out a £6/month insurance type of scheme (which I dont really want to).
# 2
oldagetraveller
Old 13-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Your sort code and account number are available on cheques and some debit cards. My Natwest card shows the sort code only and my smile card shows both. So can't see a problem really.
The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
The Following User Says Thank You to oldagetraveller For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
N79
Old 13-03-2008, 11:44 AM

Do you ever write cheques?

If yes - stop worrying.
# 4
jrangi
Old 13-03-2008, 11:47 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Take your point with Cheques - but cheques do not have your address on.

I am just being cautious, so dont think it will be a problem
# 5
Scousebird
Old 13-03-2008, 1:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Absolutley-the only thing that the person could possibly do, is give in your account details to companies to pay utilities or charities/set up D/D's etc-and that's fraud anyway so you'd have anyone who did that-besides, i've worked in finance and banking since I was 17 and I haven'e ever seen anyone be stupid enough to try it. Or they could pay cash into your account (and who'd do that out of the blue)

I know it sounds a bit patronising here (apologies) but I just wanted to explain what COULD happen-it's perfectly safe to give out those details and by keeping an eye on the account in everyday life-should show you anything unusual!

Don't worry about it!
# 6
Gism0
Old 13-03-2008, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Anyone remember that story about Jeremy Clarkson? He published his account number in his newspaper column and someone signed him up for a £500/mo direct debit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm
I work for Post Office, feel free to ask me anything!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gism0 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
DGJsaver
Old 13-03-2008, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scousebird View Post
Absolutley-the only thing that the person could possibly do, is give in your account details to companies to pay utilities or charities/set up D/D's etc-and that's fraud anyway so you'd have anyone who did that-besides, i've worked in finance and banking since I was 17 and I haven'e ever seen anyone be stupid enough to try it. Or they could pay cash into your account (and who'd do that out of the blue)

I know it sounds a bit patronising here (apologies) but I just wanted to explain what COULD happen-it's perfectly safe to give out those details and by keeping an eye on the account in everyday life-should show you anything unusual!

Don't worry about it!
Surely a company cant set up a DD without a signature ?
# 8
ShelfStacker
Old 13-03-2008, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGJsaver View Post
Depends on the company. O2 and Sky let you do Direct Debits over the Internet, no signature needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShelfStacker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dellwear
Old 13-03-2008, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

But even if someone does, the Direct Debit guarantee will kick in and you can get the money back instantly anyway.

There's little scope for DD fraud.
The Following User Says Thank You to dellwear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
emmy05
Old 13-03-2008, 4:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gism0 View Post
Anyone remember that story about Jeremy Clarkson? He published his account number in his newspaper column and someone signed him up for a £500/mo direct debit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm

haha this didnt surprise me, i love jeremy clarkson, and how many more times is he going to be made to eat his words i wonder lol
# 11
Mikeyorks
Old 13-03-2008, 4:44 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGJsaver View Post
Look up AUDDIS - it's the automated DD setup that most large companies use.
If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
# 12
Scousebird
Old 13-03-2008, 8:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Some companies like fellow posters have said...allow D/D mandate set-ups over the phone without a signature!

But honestly you'll be fine!
# 13
YorkshireBoy
Old 13-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyorks View Post
Look up AUDDIS - it's the automated DD setup that most large companies use.
It's been mandatory for all new users since the start of the year...
Quote:
With effect from 1 January 2008, the use of AUDDIS to submit Direct Debit Instructions is mandatory for all NEW service users that submit DIRECT to Bacs.

http://www.bacs.co.uk/BACS/Businesse...rvices/AUDDIS/
...although it does mention that the originator keeps the signed DD authority. Maybe the "important - confirmation of direct debit instruction" letter the originator sends the customer (at least 10 days before the first collection) enables them to be set up without a signature?
# 14
oldagetraveller
Old 14-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomised View Post
AOL and O2 take money out of my account each month and I have NEVER received a letter of confirmation , I set it up online (with o2) and over the phone (with aol). I feel a tad worried now..
Surely they should have done and also advised the payments schedule?
I would be asking them why.
However, after saying that I've recently agreed to another years broadband with MAAF, paid by DD, and have had nothing from them.
The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
The Following User Says Thank You to oldagetraveller For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Mark7799
Old 14-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrangi View Post
Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum - therefore apologies if it is not.

Anyway I am landlord, a potential tenant came to have a look at a house on his day off work - he is looking to relocate and is moving from around 200 miles away. Anyway he liked the place and wants to move into my property in around a month. I said to the chap it is currently advertised and I will get other calls, therefore cannot take your word and will need £200 to reserve the house for you. He stated that as he lives far away, can he have my sort code and account number and he will pay the £200 - which he has now done.

I have references from the chap.

Anyway what I am slightly worried about, could I have opened myself up to potential fraud from this Chap by giving him my account details??

I did ring my bank, and the only suggestion they had is for me to take out a £6/month insurance type of scheme (which I dont really want to).

If you asked him to pay his rent by standing order, you'd be giving him all this information anyway.
Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
# 16
Paul_Herring
Old 16-03-2008, 3:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul_Herring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomised View Post
AOL and O2 take money out of my account each month and I have NEVER received a letter of confirmation , I set it up online (with o2) and over the phone (with aol). I feel a tad worried now..
Which number(s) did you give them though? The sort code/account number or the 16 digit number across the middle of the card?

If the latter, then you've set up a Continuous Payment Authority (search for CPA on the boards), not a direct debit, which gives you a lot less control and protection over payments than a direct debit.
Conjugating the verb 'to be":
o I am humble
o You are attention seeking
o She is Nadine Dorries
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul_Herring For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
benjus
Old 24-08-2008, 9:19 AM

I have certainly set up direct debits online and over the phone. Most recently I set up a direct debit online with www.gradwell.co.uk for internet services.
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Closed Thread