Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jrangi
    Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number?
    • 13th Mar 08, 11:35 AM
    Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number? 13th Mar 08 at 11:35 AM
    Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum - therefore apologies if it is not.

Anyway I am landlord, a potential tenant came to have a look at a house on his day off work - he is looking to relocate and is moving from around 200 miles away. Anyway he liked the place and wants to move into my property in around a month. I said to the chap it is currently advertised and I will get other calls, therefore cannot take your word and will need 200 to reserve the house for you. He stated that as he lives far away, can he have my sort code and account number and he will pay the 200 - which he has now done.

I have references from the chap.

Anyway what I am slightly worried about, could I have opened myself up to potential fraud from this Chap by giving him my account details??

I did ring my bank, and the only suggestion they had is for me to take out a 6/month insurance type of scheme (which I dont really want to).
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,163Posts Today

7,905Users online

Martin's Twitter