Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Help ! My washing machine is putting holes in my ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Help ! My washing machine is putting holes in my clothes
Closed Thread
Views: 19,127
# 1
POUNDSAVER
Old 13-03-2008, 11:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Help ! My washing machine is putting holes in my clothes

I bought a hotpoint washing machine last July. Since probably the autumn we have been finding small holes appearing in our clothes - mainly t shirts. Firstly I put this down to maybe out cats clawing the clothes, but it has happened so much recently I know its not that. My mum suggested moths - we definately do not have moths !! The final straw was yesterday - I put on my best (and most expensive) top straight off the clothes horse and there were 2 holes in the front which I know where not there before it went into the washer. Researching on the internet it has become apparent that this is common occurence with new washing machines. I have washed everything at the right temperature and spin speed so it isn't that - its the machine at fault.

I am still within the 12 month guarantee but I'm wondering whether to insist that they replace the washer or refund me or do I give them opportunity to fix the problem first ? I seem to remember something on Watchdog about this a while back and the lady got her machine replaced and compensation for the ruined clothes. The clothes we have had ruined run into at least 3 figures already. I am not happy !! Any advice appreciated please - should I threaten them with Watchdog or is there someother consumer organisation I can refer this to ?

Thanks Moneysavers !
# 2
superscaper
Old 13-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDSAVER View Post
My mum suggested moths - we definately do not have moths !!
Well you'd definitely notice. Moths don't eat clothes, only the larvae do. And of course they don't eat synthetic materials.

First approach the retailer you bought it from, they're responsible for selling you a product not fit for purpose. If you need help if that gets you nowhere then there's always the citizens advice bureau, trading standards, consumer direct. I don't honestly think namedropping Watchdog really does anything.
"She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
Moss
# 3
BillScarab
Old 13-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

This is an excellent site with lots of advice on Washin Machines, including an article on holes in clothes

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/topics/h...n-clothes.html
It's my problem, it's my problem
If I feel the need to hide
And it's my problem if I have no friends
And feel I want to die

# 4
shogs
Old 13-03-2008, 12:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This has happended to me previously & I normally put it down to overfilling my washing machine. Try putting less in???
# 5
david1976
Old 13-03-2008, 1:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i agree with Shogs, it sounds like you are over filling the machine causing the clothes to press against the holes in the drum. When the machine spins, this will catch and cause tears.
# 6
glidergirluk
Old 13-03-2008, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had a washing machine that ripped my clothes up and yes it was under a year old. I complained and they took the machine away and gave me a full refund so I could buy a different make if I wanted (this was very handy as I was moving back home for a year so didnt really need a new washing machine!)
Will not spend more money, but will spend more time looking for that great bargain!
# 7
jrangi
Old 13-03-2008, 2:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We have exactly the same problem with a hotpoint, it was down to one of the internal drum handles had broken. Have a look inside, it could be that it has broken/come off and it was taken away with a load of clothes without noticing.
# 8
Merlot
Old 13-03-2008, 3:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had exactly with same problem with my Bosch, do you wear underwire bras, if so, check you drum, you may have a wire sticking up and tearing holes in your clothes, I telephoned John Lewis after 6 months of buying, they wouldn't refund but did get an Engineer out to fix it (mine needed a replacement drum, and no bra wires were found), although I am still not exactly happy with it, no longer puts holes in the clothes, but if doesn't clean as well as my 10 year Indesit.

Rub your hand around the drum and feel for sharp bits, then get a hammer and knock it down...only do that if out of warranty though, which you are not yet.
"Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." Abigail Van Buren
# 9
TomsMom
Old 13-03-2008, 4:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

When I had my old Hotpoint washing machine serviced a few years ago (by a very good independent engineer - no ties to any make) we were discussing what to look for when I eventually bought a new machine.

His advice was to not go for anything above 1000rpm spin speed. Reason? Fast spin speeds force the clothes through the holes in the drum sometimes resulting in damage to clothes.

When I did buy my next machine it was in fact another Hotpoint and with a spin speed of 1000rpm. Most machines now seem to have a lot faster spin speed and possibly 1000rpm is hard to find.

Also, my d-i-l had a problem with her Whirlpool washer and holes in clothes, it took many visits by Whirlpool's engineer and a lot of "discussion" but eventually they got compensated for the damaged clothes and a new washing machine so you have to assusme that Whirlpool accepted the machine was at fault.
# 10
Fran
Old 13-03-2008, 5:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

***Board Guide comment***

MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Quote:
Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Utilities, Small biz and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
# 11
abwsco
Old 13-03-2008, 6:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There is definately a problem with some Hotpoint machines. My next door nighbour has had Hotpoint out to hers at least twice. The gap was too big between the drum and the front
# 12
Pennylane
Old 14-03-2008, 4:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Could very well be a bra wire or even a screw or nail which has come out of a pocket.

Good advice too about cramming too much laundry in!! If people READ their book properly it will tell them the dry weight on which it is designed to wash well. DH has been to machines where there has been twice and even 3 times the amount of washing that there should be.

Most are never pleased when they have to pay for their own stupidity either. We all expect guarantees to be honoured but we have to play our part as well and use the appliance as per the instruction book.

WHY do people CRAM so much stuff in? It damages their machine, costs them money and the washing is still dirty. What IS the point?:rolleyes:
# 13
iwilldoitthistime
Old 15-03-2008, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi

I have had (and still have) this problem with my hotpoint. Ive had them out 6 times so far and theyve replaced virtually everything inside the machine.

The engineer confirmed that it is usually when the load is spinning at fast speed, the drum parts and catches material (sometimes). they replaced my last drum a month ago but I found something torn in a load I did yesterday, so I will have to get them out again. The engineer also said you should always be able to put your hand in the machine at the top of your clothes and be able to turn your hand vetically in the gap. This tells you that you havent overfilled the machine. Not that its helped me!
Sealed Pot no 2011
Closed Thread