Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Getting out of Mobile contract with Orange (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Getting out of Mobile contract with Orange
Closed Thread
Views: 30,363
# 1
charliegirl25
Old 12-03-2008, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Getting out of Mobile contract with Orange

I have a 18 month mobile phone contract with Orange and I want to terminate/cancel the contract due to the obsurd prices they charge if you go over your minutes, I want out with this company have tryed to lower my tarriff so that termination fee would be lower, I am on a 35 a month tarriff and have been told I am not eligable to been put on the lowest tariff (15.00). My contract runs out in September and I have been informed to cancel would cost me 350.00 to get out of this. I am not paying those robbing gits that amount especially for line rental I'm not using. Im thinking of not paying my next bill and see if they terminate me. Does anyone have any advice what I could do.
Thanks.
# 2
hjb123
Old 12-03-2008, 2:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If you dont pay your bill it can have implications on your credit rating

How many minutes do you get per month and how far over do you go? ie, what is your usage

I am with orange and my 18 month contract was due to run out in april however I was able to upgrade/change my contract in january - ie, month 16, I think I had to pay 25 but I got the charge for my new phone waived (30) so it worked out alright in the end
Weight Loss - 102lb
# 3
charliegirl25
Old 12-03-2008, 2:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb123 View Post
If you dont pay your bill it can have implications on your credit rating

How many minutes do you get per month and how far over do you go? ie, what is your usage

I am with orange and my 18 month contract was due to run out in april however I was able to upgrade/change my contract in january - ie, month 16, I think I had to pay 25 but I got the charge for my new phone waived (30) so it worked out alright in the end

I only went over by 200 minutes and this came to an extra 70.00 on my bill which I went through the bill when it cam and most calls only cost an extra few pence but them seems to total up to 70.00, I already have 500 minutes in my tariff, I cant understand why it adds up to so much its day light robbery. After this im going back to pay as you go!
# 4
reehsetin
Old 12-03-2008, 2:59 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl25 View Post
I want to terminate/cancel the contract due to the obsurd prices they charge if you go over your minutes,.
those prices are pretty similar to other networks, dont think you will find it much better with others
and you should have known/checked what these prices would be when you took the phone!
if your using more mins than in your plan change to a plan which will give you more inclusive mins, if you want help with that put up your usage over the last 3/4 months and people should be able to recommend something which will be better for you

Quote:
Im thinking of not paying my next bill and see if they terminate me.
that will do nothing but ruin your credit rating and get the baliffs after you
Yes Your Dukeiness
# 5
hjb123
Old 12-03-2008, 3:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

are you going to be using that sort of amount of minutes each month or was it a one off?
Weight Loss - 102lb
# 6
reehsetin
Old 12-03-2008, 3:02 PM

Quote:
I only went over by 200 minutes and this came to an extra 70.00 on my bill which I went through the bill when it cam and most calls only cost an extra few pence but them seems to total up to 70.00, I already have 500 minutes in my tariff, I cant understand why it adds up to so much its day light robbery. After this im going back to pay as you go!
thats right 35p per min, is your bill itemised? you should be able to see where you went over,
if not go to an orange store they can see your itemised bill usually or ring the billing dept for clarification

depending on the number of texts you send may be worth changing to the racoon 35 instead of the dolphin 35(what it sounds like your on) which will give you 700mins instead of 500 but only 100 texts and unlimited landline calls aswell
Yes Your Dukeiness
# 7
Ladygrim
Old 12-03-2008, 3:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Charliegirl,

Bad news Im afraid. You agreed and signed into this contract knowing it was for 18 months, and knowing if you went over your free minutes you would be charged. Orange are well within their rights (which you agreed to by taking on the contract) to charge you for breaking the contract early.

Why not just get a pay as you go phone. Use your free Orange minutes until September. And then use your pay as you go when those free minutes are gone. So youve got 2 phones for a few months.

Then, after September, cancel the Orange contract.

HTH

LG
Starting all over again and trying to stay brave

Last edited by Ladygrim; 12-03-2008 at 5:57 PM.
# 8
turner2151uk
Old 06-03-2010, 3:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

hello,

sorry to bring an old thread up.

I have an issue where Im in my 2nd month of my 24 month contract with orange.

Is there any possible way to get out of this?

thanks
# 9
Jon 01
Old 06-03-2010, 4:52 PM

Not as rule, what the issue ?
# 10
d.m
Old 06-03-2010, 7:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I dont think there's much you can actually do... you should have known how much you were going to spend. Tbh it's always better to pay a little extra for a lot more minutes and save the hassel of paying out a lot if you were to actually go over on a cheaper contract.. 30 for 1200 mins on orange is actually something like 2.5p a minute, and when u consider unlimited data / texts it could be as low as 1p am in, thats landline-standard costs.. who pays 35p a min anymore? LOL
# 11
OneADay
Old 06-03-2010, 8:02 PM

Just a side thought - if more people try to get out of these long term 18, 24 month contracts - we might get back to good old 12 month contracts - I live in hope - come on ye people start moaning - I want more 12 month offers on the market.
# 12
d.m
Old 06-03-2010, 8:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I don't see the problem with 18/24 months. You just need to be a bit wise and push for more savings that make it worth it in he long run, and plan ahead a little... easier said than done for most though...
# 13
drbesty
Old 06-03-2010, 9:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you want a 500 fancy dan smartphone for free you're going to have to sign upto a long contract
# 14
gjchester
Old 06-03-2010, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneADay View Post
Just a side thought - if more people try to get out of these long term 18, 24 month contracts - we might get back to good old 12 month contracts - I live in hope - come on ye people start moaning - I want more 12 month offers on the market.
Given the cost of handsets only seem to rise as they get more fuctionality you may get a 12 month contract but the price of the monthly rental will have to rise, would you be happy with a 50 a month minimum rental?
# 15
OneADay
Old 06-03-2010, 9:52 PM

I can see that line rental will be higher but the choice of getting those higher priced phones on 12 month contracts should be there (be it with higher tariffs). What I find not so nice is like, for example, t-mobile suddenly ending 12 month offerings completely.

You can now get 3 year contracts so what is the limit?

And I really detest the "free gift" offerings which are nothing more than a partnership between retailers/networks and manufacturers to flog more products onto people. I would not be against free gifts if it was not the case that most of these end up costing consumers more in the end rather than buying separately.
# 16
d.m
Old 07-03-2010, 12:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneADay View Post
I can see that line rental will be higher but the choice of getting those higher priced phones on 12 month contracts should be there (be it with higher tariffs). What I find not so nice is like, for example, t-mobile suddenly ending 12 month offerings completely.

You can now get 3 year contracts so what is the limit?

And I really detest the "free gift" offerings which are nothing more than a partnership between retailers/networks and manufacturers to flog more products onto people. I would not be against free gifts if it was not the case that most of these end up costing consumers more in the end rather than buying separately.
I guess thats what they call marketing. Some of us love it, some of us hate it, companies need it, people teach it whilst others learn it, and we just consume it...
# 17
KEV25
Old 29-12-2010, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've just got out of my 24 month contract with 9 months left. After a LOT of complaining over my providers lack of customer service I simply sent their head office an email after doing a bit of research. I advised them it costs them aprox 4.00 to answer a call from a customer, my contract is 30 a month. So I will call 5 times a week for the remainder of my contract at a cost of 80 per month to ensure the cost to serve me is much more than they will ever make from me. I know it could be classed as blackmail, but their way of charging if you wish to leave is exactly the same, charge me to leave I'll make you pay to keep me. Try it.
# 18
David Scott
Old 29-12-2010, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Why have you dragged a post originally started in 2008 back into view?
# 19
Parva
Old 30-12-2010, 2:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post
Why have you dragged a post originally started in 2008 back into view?
Agreed, just start a new thread rather than drag a two years out of date topic back up.

In answer to your question there is indeed a very easy way to get out of the 18 and 24 month contracts. Don't bloody sign upto them in the first place if there's any doubt whatsoever that you can't complete the payment over the term!

I'm no lover of the extended contracts that now exist but I do take on board that if I sign up to it then I am commited to paying for it regardless of what changes in my circumstances I experience.

I'm not trying to defend the mobile phone providers here but I really do *facepalm* at some of the requests regarding getting out of a contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parva For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
mjones1991
Old 05-05-2011, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEV25 View Post
I've just got out of my 24 month contract with 9 months left. After a LOT of complaining over my providers lack of customer service I simply sent their head office an email after doing a bit of research. I advised them it costs them aprox 4.00 to answer a call from a customer, my contract is 30 a month. So I will call 5 times a week for the remainder of my contract at a cost of 80 per month to ensure the cost to serve me is much more than they will ever make from me. I know it could be classed as blackmail, but their way of charging if you wish to leave is exactly the same, charge me to leave I'll make you pay to keep me. Try it.
can you go into little more detail how you did this ?
Closed Thread