Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swebb
    • By swebb 10th Mar 08, 9:15 PM
    • 1,029Posts
    • 595Thanks
    swebb
    Radiator - cold at the bottom but hot at the top
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:15 PM
    Radiator - cold at the bottom but hot at the top 10th Mar 08 at 9:15 PM
    A radiator in one room in my house is as described... I have bled it and as expected, water came out straight away. The room is colder than the others - noticabley so.

I guessing the best way to solve this is to turn the other rads off, get this one hot and then turn the others on? Or is there something else?

Thanks.
    Never say never...
Page 1
  • designermatt
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:29 PM
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:29 PM
    sounds to me that the rad may be silted up wiith rusty sludge atthe bottom and your system could do with a full rad flush and inhibitor process afterwards.
    • swebb
    • By swebb 10th Mar 08, 9:31 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    swebb
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:31 PM
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:31 PM
    I should have mentioned... just over 12 months ago the whole system was completely drained and flushed out. The liquid (don't know what it's called) was put into the system and so it shouldn't be clogged up... should it?
    Never say never...
  • malamute
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:33 PM
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:33 PM
    You don't say how long the system has been running is it a bog standard system ?or where the radiator is located.
    My first thought is to isolate it and remove it could be full of black sludge (take care prepare for spillage) take it outside and flush it out with a hose pipe keep doing it in both directions until the water runs clear.
    Refit and bleed normal service restored?.
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 10th Mar 08, 9:51 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:51 PM
    • 10th Mar 08, 9:51 PM
    Hi

Is there a valve at both ends or are the two pipes at one end with one valve?

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
    • swebb
    • By swebb 10th Mar 08, 10:01 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    swebb
    • 10th Mar 08, 10:01 PM
    • 10th Mar 08, 10:01 PM
    There are pipes at both ends. One end has a thermostat. It's an old rad, a double as well. Does that answer your question?!

I've just turned off two other downstairs rads. This rad has quite quickly gone very hot at the top, but remains quite cool at the bottom.
    Never say never...
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 10th Mar 08, 10:07 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    • 10th Mar 08, 10:07 PM
    • 10th Mar 08, 10:07 PM
    Hi

I had a theory , but it's not right!

I would follow malamute's advice, and make sure the TRV is opening fully as well.

Corgi Guy.
    • swebb
    • By swebb 10th Mar 08, 10:10 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    swebb
    • 10th Mar 08, 10:10 PM
    • 10th Mar 08, 10:10 PM
    Sorry - TRV?
    Never say never...
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 10th Mar 08, 10:12 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    • 10th Mar 08, 10:12 PM
    • 10th Mar 08, 10:12 PM
    Sorry - TRV?
    Originally posted by swebb
    Thermostatic radiator valve.

Corgi Guy.
  • sexysam
    Hot at bottom and cold at top only means you have got some air in the radiator which is preventing the top bit getting hot.Use a key to slightly open the valves and let the air out ( hissing noise). When water starts to come out, close valve and the whole of the readitor should get hot
    • MoJo
    • By MoJo 12th Mar 08, 9:39 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    MoJo
    I had a similar problem (hot top, cold bottom) that was solved by having the rads balanced - which sounded complicated but looked simple (make sense?) but apparently there's more than one way of doing it.
    It involves making sure the temp outflow of each rad is lower than the temp of the inflow working round the system. Sorry I can't be more specific but I didn't pay that much attention at the time.
    • red40
    • By red40 14th Mar 08, 9:14 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    red40
    Putting my plumbers head on here. I think my first question would be, was this particular radiator like this before the drain down and flush, you had 12 months ago?

• swebb
    • By swebb 14th Mar 08, 3:41 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    swebb
    Yes, the problem was there before the work was carried out. It did improve things a bit though (previously pretty much stone cold) after the work was carried out.

However, a couple nights ago I turned off the rads downstairs and waited. I turned the 'bad rad' onto full. This then became very hot (although cool/warm at the bottom). I then put the other rads back on, but not fully. Eventually, I got the other rads to their usual temperature and the 'bad rad' to a hot level. So in the end, one rad has a lower setting on the thermostat whilst all the others are on full.

The rad in question could be hotter but it is a lot better than it was. It's still only cool at the bottom.
    Never say never...
    • plumb1
    • By plumb1 14th Mar 08, 7:54 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    plumb1
    I should have mentioned... just over 12 months ago the whole system was completely drained and flushed out. The liquid (don't know what it's called) was put into the system and so it shouldn't be clogged up... should it?
    Originally posted by swebb
    Was the system mearly drained and refilled, or did you flush all the rads out?

Imo take off the problem rad and flush it outside with a hosepipe to remove any sludge. Best of all have the system powerflushed.
    • baby-mechanic
    • By baby-mechanic 14th Mar 08, 9:44 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    baby-mechanic
    Is there a wabsit that explains about draining and flushing central heating radiator systems ?
    Baby-Mechanic

The only reason I keep smiling is so that people wonder what I've been up to !!
  • Too Bloo
    This site might prove useful to you.

http://www.diydata.com/index.htm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

557Posts Today

3,889Users online

Martin's Twitter