Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Gingernutmeg
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:31 PM
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:31 PM
    What kind of paint was it? I find that emulsion will wash out (eventually) but if it was gloss or acrylic then it's going to be a pain to get out. You could try carefully dabbing it with some white spirit and then washing it as normal, but this tends to work best on really fresh stains.

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Mar 08, 12:39 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:39 PM
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:39 PM
    Hmm... depends very much on the type of paint and also the material the jumper is made out of.

If the above ideas don't work you could try paint brush cleaner. You would definitely need to test this somewhere out of view (like the inside of a cuff) on a small area to make sure that it won't damage the jumper.

If you paste the link that doesn't work in your reply here, I will see if I can sort it out.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • grannybroon
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:44 PM
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:44 PM
    Sorry to hijack your thread but I have glue on one of my black work skirts (from vinyl tile removal from kitchen floor last week). White spirit for that too squeaky? I have tried the ice cube test and also put skirt in freezer but it is still there.

GB xx
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 8th Mar 08, 12:48 PM
    • 17,526 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:48 PM
    • 8th Mar 08, 12:48 PM
    Sorry to hijack your thread but I have glue on one of my black work skirts (from vinyl tile removal from kitchen floor last week). White spirit for that too squeaky? I have tried the ice cube test and also put skirt in freezer but it is still there.

GB xx
    Originally posted by grannybroon
    Hi Grannybroon,

The suggestions on this thread might help:

Glue on clothes

Pink
  • spaghetti monster
    • 9th Mar 08, 6:45 AM
    • 9th Mar 08, 6:45 AM
    Hi! thanks for replies.
    Really not sure what the paint is, it's not glossy (neither on my jumper or in its intended location (the edges of a stage in a venue). The jumper is synthetic (I'll check exactly what), a sort of wool, fine, fluffy-ish effect.

Squeaky, now to try the link:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=526025#post526025

but this link did work:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=75602#post75602

sorry! should have looked a bit harder!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 9th Mar 08, 9:27 AM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 9th Mar 08, 9:27 AM
    • 9th Mar 08, 9:27 AM
    Squeaky, now to try the link:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=526025#post526025

but this link did work:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=75602#post75602

sorry! should have looked a bit harder!
    Originally posted by alex w
    The first one is definitely dead. It will have been added into a similar thread after the index was done. I've now remoced it.

Thanks
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 30th Sep 08, 3:18 PM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    • 30th Sep 08, 3:18 PM
    Arrgghh - Gloss paint on Cashmere coat
    • 30th Sep 08, 3:18 PM
    I went to put my Red Cashmere mix coat on this morning to find some rather large spots of white gloss paint on the bottom, its dry!! How do I get this out? Can I get it out?
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 30th Sep 08, 3:29 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    • 30th Sep 08, 3:29 PM
    • 30th Sep 08, 3:29 PM
    I would ring round a few dry cleaners and see if any have any suggestions or think they will be able to get it out.
    Has it soaked in, or is it sat on top of the pile?

I would be wary of trying too many home remedies as the colour may fade.

Final thought....how long is it and is having it shortened an option :confused.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 30th Sep 08, 3:37 PM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    Its a just below knee coat so I could have it shortened especially as there are only 4 buttons as far as my hips, but Its almost brand new and I'm so upset.

I'll try some dry cleaners.

I haven't had a good look at it, but think it is just sat on top of the pile. I was in a rush on the way out this morning and was so upset by it I just took it off again and ran out (typical there was a fire drill, it was freezing and I had no coat with me!!)
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 30th Sep 08, 3:43 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    juliettet
    If all else fails and it is not too short a pile trim it very gently with super sharp scissors. Only do this though if desperate. I agree with whatatwit - be careful with chemicals as in my experience nothing works once dried. You could contact a paint company for recommendations?
  • Bangerchick
    Can you get paint out of a polyester coat?
    Hi
    My 4 year old daughter came home from school last night with her coat covered and I mean covered! in poster paint!

It's a padded cream coloured coat (I know shouldn't have bought her that in retrospect) I've managed to get out most of it but there are still big splodges of yellow, red and green remaining.

I pre treated it with Ariel stain spray and washed it with added ariel stain powder. Then I made a paste with bicarb of soda and left it over night, it lifted some of it so I washed it again but still not really any better.

I've put more bicarb past this morning and will leave it all day unless there are any other ideas as to what I can do?

Also if I can't is there anyway the school would reimburse the money for the coat? Why they let her paint in it is beyond me! It cost £30 which is a lot of money to me.

Any advice would really be appreciated.
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 13th Nov 10, 11:05 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    Poster paint is supposed to be washable... Maybe check with the teacher what type it is, and if there are any instructions on the container about what to do if it gets on fabrics.

If it is cream coloured, a small amount of bleach might be an option, though not sure if it is ok to use on polyester. Also, you can get specific stain removers in the supermarket which are aimed at certain types of stain. Expensive for the size of bottle you get, but probably worth it to save the coat!

I am fairly sure the school won't be in a position to reimburse you for it. Perhaps you could dye it another colour if the paint won't come out?
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Bangerchick
    Well it's that runny paint that schools use.
    I thought it would be washable too!

I don't think you can't dye polyester

I thought it was a long shot re school but thought I'd check on here to see. I will make a complaint though.

I will try bleach as a last resort.

Thanks x

Any other ideas from anyone?
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 14th Nov 10, 4:04 AM
    • 9,145 Posts
    • 17,036 Thanks
    zippychick
    I've merged this with a previous thread asking a similalr question

Getting paint off carpets
    may also have some suggestions
    thanks
    Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• iheartshoes
    Try some nail-varnish remover dabbed onto the stains. I had white gloss paint on a black dress and that helped to get it out!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,132Users online

Martin's Twitter