Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > E.on - what rates per kWh are you on? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
E.on - what rates per kWh are you on?
Closed Thread
Views: 29,525
# 1
DemiDee
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default E.on - what rates per kWh are you on?

Hi all

I have this week received a letter from E.on saying that they have put their gas and electricity prices up AGAIN. I was already on a 'guaranteed to be cheaper than British Gas until Sept 08' rate and pay each month by direct debit.

When I checked the details carefully, it seems that they have not only hiked up the rates considerably, but they have also brought down the amount of initial units you can use before you go onto the higher rate. Very sneaky in my opinion, since this will catch out most people, who are unobservant and disinterested until they get their next bills.

More worrying it seems is that I called them last night to discuss if there was any better rates. As usual, they had better rates...a multitude of them. I've now been told to go onto the online billing system which will reduce our rate by half. When I asked why I wasn't told about that before, the guy (who talked like a lout and didn't seem to know too much about it all) said that they 'aren't supposed to tell people about that rate'. If this is so, why is it available, why did I get offered it and why aren't they promoting it if it's saving paper and resources? My guess is that only those customers who threaten to move their business elsewhere get the best rates.

I would be interested to know how much per kWh everyone else is paying, especially those with E.on but all would be welcome. At present, if I stay on the hiked up rates and don't go onto the online prices, I'll be paying this:

Electric Primary 22.44 or 23.562 inc VAT (quarterly threshold 125 kwh)
Electric Secondary 10p/kwh or 10.5p inc VAT

Gas primary 5.894p/kwh or 6.189p/kwh inc VAT (quarterly threshold 670kwh)
Gas secondary 2.449p/kwh or 2.571p/kwh inc VAT

I also get a 6% reduction on this if paying by fixed monthly direct debit.
If I go to the online system, I'll get approx 12% discount.

Any feedback most appreciated.
# 2
billieboy
Old 06-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm in the process of moving from Scottish Power to Eon. The rate I am going on is the EnergyOnline Saver 5 elec and gas plan.

Elec prices: first 225 Kw hours 16.65, extra kw hours 10.00
Gas prices: first 1143 kw hours 3.235, extra kw hours 2.574

All prices include VAT. Plus I'm getting a total of 18.6 discount, 6% for paying by monthly DD, 3% dual fuel direct debit discount, 9.6% discount until at least 1 April 2009 for managing account online.

I did panic yesterday when I saw the rates were higher than SP but with the discount I worked this out to be 13.553 for elec and 2.633 for gas. Hope this helps.

When I rang this morning they clarified this for me and also said to keep an eye on their rates as they are often changing, in other words, the onus is on us to check changing rates.
# 3
Cardew
Old 06-03-2008, 1:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiDee View Post
When I checked the details carefully, it seems that they have not only hiked up the rates considerably, but they have also brought down the amount of initial units you can use before you go onto the higher rate. Very sneaky in my opinion, since this will catch out most people, who are unobservant and disinterested until they get their next bills.
Can you explain this please!

They charge the Higher rate(tier 1) for the initial xxx kWh and then you move to a lower rate for the rest of your units(tier 2)

If they have "brought down" the number of number of tier 1 units(instead of increasing the number of tier 1 units) that means you pay less:confused:
# 4
dellxps
Old 06-03-2008, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The online tariff is promoted on their website...makes sense, seeing as it is an online tariff.

Like cardew said, the thresholds have gone down which means you pay less not MORE.
# 5
Gavioli UK
Old 06-03-2008, 2:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

[quote=DemiDee;9138429]Hi all

"More worrying it seems is that I called them last night to discuss if there was any better rates. As usual, they had better rates...a multitude of them. I've now been told to go onto the online billing system which will reduce our rate by half. When I asked why I wasn't told about that before, the guy (who talked like a lout and didn't seem to know too much about it all) said that they 'aren't supposed to tell people about that rate'. If this is so, why is it available, why did I get offered it and why aren't they promoting it if it's saving paper and resources? My guess is that only those customers who threaten to move their business elsewhere get the best rates."

Not sure how you can complain about this. It is the competitive market working which we keep being told is benefitinng everyone.
# 6
DemiDee
Old 06-03-2008, 3:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry for any confusion. I thought that the initial units were at the lower rate and the secondary units were higher :confused:

I'm now on the online system and it's so much better, especially in terms of seeing what else is out there and comparing your own tariff to others available.

I still say that instead of having a multitude of tariffs, it would be better to spread it out and put everyone on the same tariff. That means everyone benefits, and less hassle for them to work out what everyone is on and bill accordingly.

None of the companies do this because they rely on people not checking their bills or (more likely) not truly understanding them.

Dee
Closed Thread