Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • fkelanne
    • By fkelanne 6th Mar 08, 2:47 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    fkelanne
    • 6th Mar 08, 2:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 2:47 PM
    when i went back to work, my job centre adviser told me i couldnt get free prescriptions for my self anymore. and i get aboput £65 wk wtc
  • Lovaabargain
    • 6th Mar 08, 4:00 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 4:00 PM
    To qualify for free prescriptions you need to be issued with an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate which is a little plastic card ( same size as a credit card) that you show each time you hand in a prescripton.

hth
  • Blackpoollass
    • 6th Mar 08, 7:33 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 7:33 PM
    Hi Thanks for your replies. She is on the minimum wage and if she is entitled to an exemption card do you know how she goes about getting one? Does she ring the Tax Credit Office for instance?

Many Thanks
  • tcclalel
    • 6th Mar 08, 7:47 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 7:47 PM
    Hi, I am not an expert but mine was sent automatically. It did arrive about a month after my circumstances changed and I didn't expect it. I had no correspondance to say I would receive it. If she is only recieving £7 a week I very much doubt she would be entitled, I earn about £14,000 with 2 kids if this helps...
  • subsoniccoyote
    • 6th Mar 08, 7:48 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 7:48 PM
    She will only be entitled to the Exemption Card throught Tax Credits if she receives the disability element of WTC.
    Have a look here http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/low_income.htm as it gives information about the NHS Low Income Scheme.
    • donnalove
    • By donnalove 6th Mar 08, 10:53 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    donnalove
    • 6th Mar 08, 10:53 PM
    • 6th Mar 08, 10:53 PM
    well we got one and hubby was getting £10 a week in wtc income 14,500 plus my carers 48.65 week, we have 3 children.
  • subsoniccoyote
    • 7th Mar 08, 7:14 AM
    • 7th Mar 08, 7:14 AM
    But you obviously have different circumstances unless the person OP is talking about also has children they havent mentioned.

Exemption Certificate Criteria
    A family is entitled to receive an Exemption Certificate where they satisfy one of the three criteria below
    • Criteria 1
    • The family’s gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
    And
    • The family is in receipt of WTC and CTC
    And
    • The family is not in receipt of IS, JSA(IB) or PC
    • Criteria 2
    • The family's gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
    And
    • The family is receiving WTC with a disability element
    And
    • Criteria 3
    • The family's gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
    And
    • The family is receiving CTC only
    And
    Note: Each tax year the earnings threshold may change.

2003 / 2004 - £14200
    2004 / 2005 - £14600
    2005 / 2006 - £15050
    2006 / 2007 - £15050
    2007 / 2008 - £15050
    Last edited by subsoniccoyote; 07-03-2008 at 7:17 AM.
    • narabanekeater
    • By narabanekeater 7th Mar 08, 2:41 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    narabanekeater
    • 7th Mar 08, 2:41 PM
    • 7th Mar 08, 2:41 PM
    how long do these certifificates last for are they APRIL TO april or for 12 months from the date of issue?
  • subsoniccoyote
    12 months from date of issue
    • les64
    • By les64 6th Feb 09, 11:23 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    les64
    Note: Each tax year the earnings threshold may change.

2003 / 2004 - £14200
    2004 / 2005 - £14600
    2005 / 2006 - £15050
    2006 / 2007 - £15050
    2007 / 2008 - £15050
    Originally posted by subsoniccoyote
    This figure has not changed in 3 years. Does anyone know if it is changing from April 2009 ? I've found leaflets that say, if you are reading this after 6 /4/09 then check for any potential increase, but cannot find anywhere telling me there is going to be an increase.
  • bunty1983
    you get one sent to you automatically we have income of 14000 and we got one,check with tax credits helpline theyd know 08453003900
  • subsoniccoyote
    This figure has not changed in 3 years. Does anyone know if it is changing from April 2009 ? I've found leaflets that say, if you are reading this after 6 /4/09 then check for any potential increase, but cannot find anywhere telling me there is going to be an increase.
    Originally posted by les64
    I don't think they have released the updated guidance as yet but I dont see the figure increasing much if at all.
  • Pammi_T
    Sound as if, yet again, it is only children, those with children and the elderly and/or disabled who need to get healthy. Those of us who are expected to work full time on low pay are expected to survive on a pittance and work ourselves to the bone - heigh ho, who cares if we get sick, eh? We just pay taxes, we aren't allowed any extra benefits. Pah!

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. 51, lost my job a few months ago, no money, mortgage to pay, no partner, no kids, depression, hypertension, arthritis in my knee (but not enough to get disability benefits cos I can still walk without a stick) and even if I can get work, it will be low paid where I live because I spent much of my life bringing up my daughter instead of having a career (although I was working most of the time) but ALL of our goverments and their officials just shrug off the single people with no children as "Well, they have nothing to stop them going out and getting more work" as if we are just workhorses and don't deserve any kind of a life at all. Hell, I haven't even got the option to do what most people do and have kids to get the freebies...

I hate them all!
  • DX2
    Well done Pammi for dragging up an old thread just so you could have a little rant, being a newbie could I suggest you have a read at what exactly the benefit section is for. Thanks kindly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,165Posts Today

5,831Users online

Martin's Twitter