Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Working Tax Credit - Free Prescriptions (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Working Tax Credit - Free Prescriptions
Closed Thread
Views: 25,657
# 1
Blackpoollass
Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Working Tax Credit - Free Prescriptions

Hi My Sister receives WTC of approx 7 per week. Does she need a special card to claim free prescriptions etc or does she just show her WTC award notice. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackpoollass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
fkelanne
Old 06-03-2008, 2:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

when i went back to work, my job centre adviser told me i couldnt get free prescriptions for my self anymore. and i get aboput 65 wk wtc
# 3
Lovaabargain
Old 06-03-2008, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

To qualify for free prescriptions you need to be issued with an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate which is a little plastic card ( same size as a credit card) that you show each time you hand in a prescripton.

hth
# 4
Blackpoollass
Old 06-03-2008, 7:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Thanks for your replies. She is on the minimum wage and if she is entitled to an exemption card do you know how she goes about getting one? Does she ring the Tax Credit Office for instance?

Many Thanks
# 5
tcclalel
Old 06-03-2008, 7:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, I am not an expert but mine was sent automatically. It did arrive about a month after my circumstances changed and I didn't expect it. I had no correspondance to say I would receive it. If she is only recieving 7 a week I very much doubt she would be entitled, I earn about 14,000 with 2 kids if this helps...
# 6
subsoniccoyote
Old 06-03-2008, 7:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

She will only be entitled to the Exemption Card throught Tax Credits if she receives the disability element of WTC.
Have a look here http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/low_income.htm as it gives information about the NHS Low Income Scheme.
The Following User Says Thank You to subsoniccoyote For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
donnalove
Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

well we got one and hubby was getting 10 a week in wtc income 14,500 plus my carers 48.65 week, we have 3 children.
# 8
subsoniccoyote
Old 07-03-2008, 7:14 AM

But you obviously have different circumstances unless the person OP is talking about also has children they havent mentioned.

Exemption Certificate Criteria
A family is entitled to receive an Exemption Certificate where they satisfy one of the three criteria below
  • Criteria 1
  • The family’s gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
And
  • The family is in receipt of WTC and CTC
And
  • The family is not in receipt of IS, JSA(IB) or PC
  • Criteria 2
  • The family's gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
And
  • The family is receiving WTC with a disability element
And
  • Criteria 3
  • The family's gross income is below the earnings threshold for the relevant tax year (see the Note below for the earnings threshold)
And
  • The family is receiving CTC only
And
Note: Each tax year the earnings threshold may change.

2003 / 2004 - £14200
2004 / 2005 - £14600
2005 / 2006 - £15050
2006 / 2007 - £15050
2007 / 2008 - £15050

Last edited by subsoniccoyote; 07-03-2008 at 7:17 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to subsoniccoyote For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
narabanekeater
Old 07-03-2008, 2:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

how long do these certifificates last for are they APRIL TO april or for 12 months from the date of issue?
# 10
subsoniccoyote
Old 07-03-2008, 6:31 PM

12 months from date of issue
# 11
les64
Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsoniccoyote View Post
Note: Each tax year the earnings threshold may change.

2003 / 2004 - 14200
2004 / 2005 - 14600
2005 / 2006 - 15050
2006 / 2007 - 15050
2007 / 2008 - 15050
This figure has not changed in 3 years. Does anyone know if it is changing from April 2009 ? I've found leaflets that say, if you are reading this after 6 /4/09 then check for any potential increase, but cannot find anywhere telling me there is going to be an increase.
# 12
bunty1983
Old 06-02-2009, 3:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

you get one sent to you automatically we have income of 14000 and we got one,check with tax credits helpline theyd know 08453003900
# 13
subsoniccoyote
Old 06-02-2009, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les64 View Post
This figure has not changed in 3 years. Does anyone know if it is changing from April 2009 ? I've found leaflets that say, if you are reading this after 6 /4/09 then check for any potential increase, but cannot find anywhere telling me there is going to be an increase.
I don't think they have released the updated guidance as yet but I dont see the figure increasing much if at all.
# 14
Pammi_T
Old 27-10-2010, 11:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry

Sound as if, yet again, it is only children, those with children and the elderly and/or disabled who need to get healthy. Those of us who are expected to work full time on low pay are expected to survive on a pittance and work ourselves to the bone - heigh ho, who cares if we get sick, eh? We just pay taxes, we aren't allowed any extra benefits. Pah!

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. 51, lost my job a few months ago, no money, mortgage to pay, no partner, no kids, depression, hypertension, arthritis in my knee (but not enough to get disability benefits cos I can still walk without a stick) and even if I can get work, it will be low paid where I live because I spent much of my life bringing up my daughter instead of having a career (although I was working most of the time) but ALL of our goverments and their officials just shrug off the single people with no children as "Well, they have nothing to stop them going out and getting more work" as if we are just workhorses and don't deserve any kind of a life at all. Hell, I haven't even got the option to do what most people do and have kids to get the freebies...

I hate them all!
# 15
DX2
Old 28-10-2010, 6:30 AM

Well done Pammi for dragging up an old thread just so you could have a little rant, being a newbie could I suggest you have a read at what exactly the benefit section is for. Thanks kindly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DX2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread